For those with horses that live out 24/7

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
How do you cope when you know it's crappy weather outside?

Do you worry that they're wet / cold / blowing away or do you just hunker down into your hot chocolate and think of something else?

I *might* need to leave my horses out 24/7 again shortly and it's beginning to stress me out (can you tell
wink.gif
)

Thankies
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I cheat and bring mine in during really foul weather
wink.gif
grin.gif

They are out in most of it though, but we have three stables for the three horses so no reason not to use them once in a while
smile.gif

Apercrumbie

Visit site
You have to remember that they are horses not little humans!! Unless it is torrential rain and wind, they will be fine. I just check them lots and change rugs if necessary. Its definitely worth it though. Save loads of money and the neds are happier

applestroodle

Visit site
My horses have lived out all winter and been fine, i think they would both choose to be out!
i keep them well ruged and fed, both seem happy! i do sometimes wake up during the night and worry when u hear the wind and rain but when i go down they are both sheltering somewhere in the field! Yours will fine dont stress

samstar

Visit site
mine are rugged so they won't get wet or cold and if its really blowing a gale all one of them has to do is walk down the bottom of her field for shelter, the other one who is seperated from the rest has enough hedgerows to choose wear to park his bum out of the wind.
smile.gif

never think about them honestly when I'm at home in the warm. They were even out 24/7 when we had the snow, as long as they had hay adlib they were fine.

Natalie_H

Visit site
It has to be seriously vile for me to worry about ours! They are out 24/7 all year round. They have field shelters & natural shelter. My horse will always go in the shelter if it is raining. I brought them into the stables one night when it was torrential rain & galeforce winds. They both wanted to go out again once they had eaten their dinner. Previous poster is spot on - whilst we worry about awful weather & feel sorry for them - they are indeed horses & far tougher than we sometimes give them credit for!!! They no more want to be in our living rooms in front of the TV than we do out in the field all night!
smile.gif

badgerdog

Visit site
I tell myself that they are horses and if given the choice they would rather be out. I used to bring my oldster in when the weather was vile but after a few hours I had to let him out again as he got depressed.
Mine's rugged up so don't get wet, so although I hate the idea of them being out in the rain I know they prefer it to being restricted to a stable.

Ladybird

Visit site
My two have been out all winter bar about 4 nights here and there, they're rugged up with hay and much happier that way tbh!

So long as they don't look too miserable and their weight stays on I'm fine with it!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Mine prefer to live out, especially the TB.As long as they have food, some shelter and correctly rugged they should be fine.

Saying that I have been known tp try and go up to them at 3am when its blowing a hooley (my OH justs hides the keys) and they have been fine the next morning.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
QR
I can see why Scotsmare is concerned...the fields are littered with the bodies of horses who were otherwise healthy but expired after a few heavy showers and a gust of wind.
S
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
All of my fields surround my house so I can see all of the horses at any time I wish. When the weather is foul, I just check on them to make sure they are okay. Most of my guys are rugged and when the foul weather is here, they don't act any differently from how they do on the glorious days - they just stand munching happily away.

No I don't ever worry about my horses as I know they are absolutely fine.
smile.gif
I can understand though if you aren't seeing them all the time that you might be worried, but really, don't be.

Archie07

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 and I really do not worry, being out is natural. He is also unrugged and is far happier than some of the horses on my yard. I'd be more worried about him if he was shut in a stable 12+ hours a day. He has his little herd, he is free to wander about, graze, play in a well fenced safe field, good enough for me
smile.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Hunker and slurp hot chocolate
smile.gif

If I know it's going to be absolutely awful I'll bring them in. Tomorrow for example, heavy rain followed by a cold night, they'll be in. The fields don't have shelters other than the hedges and they're not particularly brilliant hedges when the weather is really bad.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QR
I can see why Scotsmare is concerned...the fields are littered with the bodies of horses who were otherwise healthy but expired after a few heavy showers and a gust of wind.
S
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust you!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have a cure for you.
The next time it is p1ssing down, with the wind howling, at 3am, get up, get dressed and head to the field to 'rescue' your horses.
Their utter contempt for you, and the concept of being brought in, will be the cure.
S
grin.gif

PS Yes, I do speak from very bitter, wet-PJ'd experience.
wink.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Aside from rugs, heated troughs, ad lib hay, my horses have shelters and windbreaks, it is up to them whether they use them or not. So when I look outside and there is a foot of snow on the ground and it is -25C with 60km/h winds and see them literally covered in ice I really don't worry.

I've done my bit for them, after that it's their choice. I never feel guilty, but often think "You daft beggars!"

Obviously, if a horse wasn't coping or needed to be in for some reason then I have a barn full of empty stalls, but I haven't bought a single horse in overnight this winter. (Apart from the new one, because he is small enough to be coyote bait)

DSCF4478.jpg

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Haha, they're horses, they'll survive
laugh.gif
Haha I don't feel cruel, she has a rug on and is always toasty in the morning, she's held her weight and gets plenty of food, so I'm sure she's fine
smile.gif
I'd rather her be very slightly miserable for a few hours than be running round her stable all night, stressing AND leaving a mess for me to clear up
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

teddyt

Visit site
One occasion it took me half an hour to catch 3 horses in a storm and put them in the stables. The next morning it was like the start of the grand national when i opened their stable doors. Were they grateful to come in. NO!
The worst of the winter is over anyway!

kerilli

Visit site
as long as mine have really good Fal or similar rugs on (which i can absolutely guarantee will not get soaked through) and a shelter, and lots of forage, i don't feel sorry for them at all, they're happier out there imho!

soph21

Visit site
they wear MW rugs all winter, get fed hard feed and haylege/hay.
They are animals with fur
tongue.gif

And if the weather is really cold their fur will grow!

pottamus

Visit site
My lad has spent his first winter out 24/7 and has thrived through all weathers. He is very happy being out and not in the least bothered by wind, rain, snow at all. He has adlib hay and a field stable with hay in it and he makes his own choice when to go in and come back out. He is having the life of riley and even when he was fetlock deep in snow for 2 weeks he still stayed out trying to pick at grass and eating hay when it suited him. So I don't worry so much now.

X0XbringitonX0X

Visit site
In our paddock, there are stables that he can get into. The stables are fully made up, his hay and water are in there at night, the door is just left open so he can come and go as he likes. He puts himself to bed at about 6 everynight - he is such a softy! So no I dont worry about him. He comes in only if we are off somewhere early the next morning or if there is snow - when he slips and slides everywhere.

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
My boy has been out without a rug all winter. He has a big furry coat and even when it pours if you feel underneath, his skin is not wet, it just runs off his coat.
I haven't seen him shivering all winter - in fact I've only seen him shivering in the summer when he had no coat and it was really rainy.

He is always warm and is fat as a pig as they have adlib haylege. In fact I'm worried he has too much condition for coming into Spring.

He gets in strop if I leave him in a stable more than a couple of hours. Its obviously what they are used to cos he has been stabled before quite happily but I know he's more than happy mooching about in the field.
grin.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
I just imagine how unhappy he is in the stable.....box walking and grabbing looks out of the window etc..... and just know that he is happier outside.

He is well rugged so would never get wet through..... and if he had a choice then this would be it
smile.gif