For those with multiple horses - why?

Enfys

Visit site
I was just wondering how on earth I manage to collect so many horses and came to the conclusion that my reason for having them is merely 'because I can' :)

If you have multiple horses why is that?

montanna

Visit site
I had two for a time as one broke and I wanted something to ride! I had two on DIY over winter, plus a full time job and a part time pub job.. not the easiest! Now I have just one on full livery over the summer... typical really isn't it!

RubysGold

Visit site
I have two horses because my first one had to retire and i was missing riding and looking forward to shows etc so i got my 5yo
i wouldn't have a 3rd though

Spring Feather

Visit site
Lol how funny! The amount I own fluctuates however I just counted mine a couple of days ago and I have 18 horses of my own, plus the foals. 'Because I can' sounds a perfectly reasonable reason to me.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Well to start with there was one, then he retired at about the same time I found a lovely cob field ornament. I called his owners and they said I could have him but I had to have his mini friend as well. So I ended up with 3!

The original one then passed away (old age) and I missed him so much that I had to get another one - so I still ended up with 3! Should the opportunity and funds arrive I would love to make it 4 so that there is one fully rideable one amongst them as 2 of the three are retired and the third in semi-retirement and I don't believe in pts if they still have a decent quality of life.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I was just wondering how on earth I manage to collect so many horses and came to the conclusion that my reason for having them is merely 'because I can' :)

If you have multiple horses why is that?

I have no idea! They sort of accumulate over the years, lol. At the moment I haven't got that many, actually - 2 broodies, 2 of mine to ride, OH's pet and the one foal... that's 5.5, right? I feel a shopping trip coming up :D

Enfys

Visit site
18 :eek::eek::eek: ...I struggle with just the one!

I think that SF, like me mainly keeps hers out at grass which lightens the work load considerably, also we both have our own properties so we don't have boarding fees to pay. SF has the huge advantage over me in that she also makes her own lovely hay ;)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Another "because I can" here - I can think up good reasons why we have them all - if I REALLY try:D

I have six living at home and one away.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Because my first pony had to be retired at 9 with arthritis (he's only 11.2hh so I had also grown out of him) and I wasn't prepared to sell him on, he's my naughty little pet. However I also wanted one I could ride, which is where my Connemara comes in.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I've just collected them over the years. I have 4, Penny, who was my first pony - I've had her 17 years! Misty came along 2 years later after I outgrew Pen, the Saf 3 years after that, ditto outgrowing Mist. Rosie the Shetland just came along sometime as a companion for Penny. I'm a total soft touch and could never sell a horse LOL!

AshTay

Visit site
I had one on loan when I was 25 - my First Pony.
In 2009, First Pony went lame with poor prognosis. I temporaily shared another horse. Then we moved yards and I left share horse behind as didn't believe I could cope with 2 on my own. At new yard, I started riding Fab Mare who was up for sale and the owner wanted her bringing back into work. First Pony was retired and I felt that Fab Mare was too small for me and I reached a point where I felt I could cope with 2 so I went out and bought he who would soon become known as Crazy Gelding. FM still wasn't sold (hadn't even been advertised to be fair) and so I had FP, FM and CG, though FM wasn't technically mine. Then I realised I was in love with FM and decided to buy her myself. So I had 3.
Last year, had to say goodbye to FP so down to 2. Started riding Dream Stallion so back up to 2.5. Issues with CG and he was sent away and nearly sold so down to 1.5 for a while. But he came back so now I have 2.5: FM, CG and DS (who isn't mine and I don't really look after but I ride when I can and help with the care of when I can).

Spring Feather

Visit site
I think that SF, like me mainly keeps hers out at grass which lightens the work load considerably, also we both have our own properties so we don't have boarding fees to pay. SF has the huge advantage over me in that she also makes her own lovely hay ;)

You're right, I don't keep any horses inside, they're all out 24/7/365. I haven't counted how many horses in total are on the farm right now but there's more paying ones than non-paying ones which is always preferable :smile3:

How is hay going down your way out of interest? What are the prices like this year? We've done a fair whack of our hay this year and have approx. 380 large rounds in the barns at the moment. The square bales we've made so far have all gone out to our hay clients (which is great as more room for round bales!). We only have about 15 acres of small square bale hay fields left to cut, and about 125 acres which was already cut earlier in the week and is being round baled as we speak.

AandK

Visit site
I have 2, bought horse no2 when horse no1 had to retire due to numerous joint problems. Honestly thought horse no1 would last a couple of years before her problems caught up with her. Now 11yrs later she is still going strong at the age of 23! :biggrin3:

kezz86

Visit site
I've two now.

I wanted to get something younger before my mare has to retire so I can get used to it whilst I still have her to fall back on .

Also I had to move away from livery and the place I found had no horsey friends so "had" to get a companion it was a bonus it it was a rideable drop dead gorgeous horse! :D

Also "because I can..." the rest of the reasons are really just excuses! lol

cambrica

Visit site
Another 'Because I can' ! If I was paying out for livery I would only have one.
So now, due to the inability to ever sell any of them, I have 2 x old ladies, 2 x childrens ponies (sec A's), and my 4 yo sec D who will be a mother/daughter share. The childrens ponies are then recycled for daughter no 2 !

Big Ben

Visit site
Another 'became I can' here

Currently own 6 but 2 are for sale, down from a high of 17. I guess part of it is the fact that I like to ride both English and Western, and I like to ride different types of horse sometimes

Asha

Visit site
5 didn't seem that much more than 2 really...

we have 6 of our own, plus looking after a couple for a friend. Agree with the above, it genuinely doesnt feel much more work than when we had 2. Just have a routine, plus haybars and automatic water feeders are an absolute must !

why do i have them all? same as others really, because i can:D

Bred 3 of them, so they will stay with me forever

fabscd

Visit site
'Because I can' sounds like a pretty good description to me. I outgrew my 2nd pony, but never managed to sell him despite trying (honest!) and he is still with me 14 years later. My grey mare is my main riding horse, bought after i had to have two horses PTS within 18 months of each other. Youngster was bought as a foal because i had her purchase price burning a hole in my pocket when a friend mentioned a foal for sale from her YO. Horse no. 4 was acquired recently because previous owner wanted rid of her but to a good home...she came home with me! I have only ever had 1 horse for about 8 months when i got my first pony, and then for about 1 year after i sold him when i only had pony no. 2 (who i still have)

Abbeygale

Visit site
I had just one for quite some time - my mare who is starting to creep up in age - although by no means past it just yet! After losing my youngster I was bringing on to take over from her a couple of years back, I have now taken on another youngster who I am slowly bringing on to be my future horse.

To be honest if I had more land / stables, I would definitely find the time / money / anything else to keep more at home! :D

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I have just gone down to 3 from 4, originally had 2 at home but became difficult to take one away for a show etc as one didn't like being on his own so got a broodmare who then had a foal. In terms of keeping everyone happy 4 worked really well, always 2 to keep each other company if we took 2 out but the work load and cost of keeping 4 last winter was too much and so one had to go.

I'm supposed to be going down to 2 by winter but love the 3 I've got so really hoping not to have to, this winter can't be as bad as last one surely!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I had multiple horses because I did. MY yard no livery bills :)

Pony for schooling
donkey was a rescue ( from Jamie Gray) :mad:
mare was my main horse then her son was to continue when she retired.

other mare was a rescue.

Down to 3 from 5 sadly

sarahann1

Visit site
Because I couldn't leave the one I had on part loan behind when I moved, so I bought him and the one I had on full loan at the same time and moved them both. Now they are retired field ornaments, I have notions of a 3rd....

Puppy

Visit site
One for me to ride.
One for my mother to ride.
One, my dear mare, who had to retire young.
One (borrowed) to keep retired girl company.
Life would be a whole lot easier if it was only one or two, but I couldn't get rid off any.

pippixox

Visit site
ended up with 2 by accident, my first horse got at 15, when i was planning on university he went away on loan, but i decided not to go and work instead. a horse was abandoned at my old yard, volunteered to come and spend a bit of time with her as she had lost trust and was a nervous wreck. fell in love with her, rebacked her, then suddenly loan came to an end and boy was coming back. so had 2 livery for a bit, thankfully my dad paid for my boy (tecnically 'his' as he owned him as a racer until he retired and i got him)
i can totally see how it happens, i now rent land, split between 3 of us, so way cheaper, so another would cost no more on livery. one lady has ended up with 7! most rescues and un-rideable. but she is feeling the strain now she also had a baby.
i wouldn't look for another horse, my 2 both kind of ended up with me, i never went horse shopping, but if the right one came my way not sure i would say no, only my bank balance would

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Started off with one...realised if I was keeping one for myself, I could do same for mini CCW...so two...then shortly after got offered the horse of my dreams that I originally desperately wanted to buy but owner ummed and ahhed...couldn't leave him there, as it were so 3...if I could I'd have more...but gate is firmly closed...at least I've now got 2 out of 3 rideable...so there's only one ornament now...(totally lovely ornament tho!)

Eta I rent grazing long term so it's a flat annual rent no matter how many I have...have enough acreage for one more...but determined to be sensible!

Last edited:

gwniver

Visit site
my second horse is arriving on sunday !!! well almost my second horse , she is coming to me on loan - for company for my first horse :)