Forage Plus Hoof Health Winter - how do I get him to eat it?

Ellibelli

Visit site
I ordered some of this yesterday for my recently diagnosed cushing's horse. Trouble is he has become incredibly picky about his feed since being on Prascend (took him off it for a week and he's now on 1/4 tablet to be slowly increased to 1/2 tablet). He won't entertain any supplements that he used to be on but I've managed to get him eating Healthy Hoof Molasses Free, micronized linseed, Equilibra and Speedibeet. The Forage Plus is to hopefully replace the Equilibra but I'm dreading trying to get him to eat it. Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage him to eat it please?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Sorry I'm not going to be be much help because I bought the summer balancer and my mare refused to eat it, I didn't blame her because frankly it stinks. Will be interested to hear what 'healthy' additives could have been given to disguise the taste.

Switched to Pro Hoof and she's perfectly happy with that. She's not normally a picky horse.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
My filly is on ForagePlus balancer, and she isn't too impressed with how it tastes either.
She previously had nothing but a handful of unmolassed beet to carry her supplements, but since changing to FP I have had to increase the amount of beet, and add a handful of Fast Fibre to it, which seems to be enough to make it worth eating.. :D

TPO

Visit site
Mine isn't a greedy horse but I had no problem getting him to eat it. I worried when I introduced boswellia as it's so strong smelling but he barely seemed to notice.

I feed fast fibre, speedibeet, linseed and halleys unmolassed timothy chop with a sliced carrot on top. So no sugars or "yummies" to mask anything. Personally I think it's the fast fibre, he loves it and I reckon he'd eat razor blades if they were covered in FF!

Initially I made a feed of just FF and carrot to put the balancer and boswellia in; he licked the bucket clean. Now everything is split evenly over breakfast and dinner feeds.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I bought the winter supplement a month or so ago and have to mix it in well with some speedibeet to get my generally unfussy cob to eat it.

I was worried I'd wasted all that money on something he wouldn't eat but thankfully he'll eat it no problem now.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I use a mug of 24 hour soaked speedi beet split into two feeds each with a round scoop of safe and sound. I use a shallow sided bowl which helps disperse the smell.

you could try a crushed extra strong mint or some dried spearmint although this didn't work for me.

If you can build it up over a couple of weeks starting with a tiny amount that may work.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Mine wouldn't eat the FP balancers either, despite trying different herbs and techniques with the feed. Went back to the Pro Hoof and have no problems with her eating that.

Brightbay

Visit site
I'm probably not much help, as mine whuffles down the FP stuff with a handful of damp fibre nuts without a thought. My only suggestion is to have a look on the FP website, as there are some suggestions. One is that apparently horses eat it better if it's in a flat wide bowl, rather than a high sided bucket, as the slightly coppery smell is less obvious. There are also suggestions about when to get it wet (at the last moment before offering to horse), as damp and water again increase the coppery smell.

You could try damping with a bit of e.g. apple juice, or apple cider vinegar too.

philamena

Visit site
I've resorted to syringing it in. Mine goes off and on and it was wasteful, and I don't want her leaving her feed because it has her ulcer supps in so this way it's less stressful as I know she's getting everything. Sorry, know that 's not much help!

amandap

Visit site
The accompanying leaflet has lots of suggestions. I have one who can be fussy with the FP but I found with him if I mix it at least half an hour before feeding he eats it no problem, even without linseed, in plain speedibeet.

Ellibelli

Visit site
Thanks for the great advice folks - off to get some Fast Fibre, shallow bucket and mints and will try mixing it up 1/2 hour before. Philamena - as a last resort what do you mix it with to syringe it in? Does it dissolve in water? Thanks again - love this forum even if it can get a bit scary sometimes x

Kat

Visit site
Fenugreek powder works a treat to get my fussy horse to eat new things. The smell and taste mask other stuff and it helps their appetite.

canteron

Visit site
My horses are on Prascend and Forage Plus Winter Balance and I have no problems.

I use Dengie Hi Fi Lite and then I buy the following in bulk, which I use in rotation ....

Fenugreek Leaves
Ground Fenugreek
Dried Mint

When there is absolutely no grass and I know that the quality of the hay is low sugar I also might use

Chopped Apple
Carrot
Kwik Beet
Calm & Condition (just a little)

And once in a while, but don't use too often because they get bored of it

Marmite

Probably think more about 'cooking' for the horses than for the family!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I recently got a new horse who was much fussier than my other one.

I feed straight minerals but it is the same ingredients that is in the FP and pro hoof just different proportions. It didn't help that he was taken sugarfree at the same time. It took me about 5 weeks to build up to the total dose starting with about 1/2 teaspoon. Spearmint seemed to help a bit (progressive earth or cotswold herbs are good value for this) and I also added some straight straw chaff.

BTW you probably find the pro hoof easier because if you feed at the recommended dosage it has about half the level of nasty tasting things (copper, zinc, magnesium) as the forageplus balancer.