Foreign body in horses knee - drawing agents?

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
My mare has basically a giant splinter in her knee (confirmed by vet via xray and ultrasound, currently no interference with knee joint or tendons/ligaments, and no lameness). This has been brewing an abscess then popping then brewing again since before Christmas. The vet would like her to expell whatever is in there herself but has now said if we just continue this cycle of brewing and popping then it's looking likely she will have to have it surgically removed. I'm really trying to avoid this! Any suggestions for helping her to get it out please?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This is the one situation that I would recommend Animalintex for.

In general I think it makes things far too soggy, but I think it's what you need here to loosen the hold on the splinter, though be very careful to watch for signs of infection.

That sounds like really bad luck. I hope you can avoid the surgery.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Given the time elapsed, I think I’d want it removed surgically now to be honest. If left, you’ve got risk of infection and potentially sepsis (extreme I know, but possible).

What are your worries about surgical removal? If it’s away from joints/ tendons could it be done standing?
She doesn't load, I am intending to get this sorted but it has been sidetracked by having a baby. I would like her to have some nice outings before loading to go to the vet 🙈

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Given the time elapsed, I think I’d want it removed surgically now to be honest. If left, you’ve got risk of infection and potentially sepsis (extreme I know, but possible).

What are your worries about surgical removal? If it’s away from joints/ tendons could it be done standing?

In this area of the North West there are travelling vets who would do this at home on a horse who can't travel, as long as it's not buried too deep or close to arteries.

Melody Grey

Visit site
She doesn't load, I am intending to get this sorted but it has been sidetracked by having a baby. I would like her to have some nice outings before loading to go to the vet 🙈
These things never come at a good time! Worth asking if the procedure can be done at your yard- might be worth asking a couple of practices for costs/ whether they’d do it.

I’ve had situations with bad loaders/ travellers that have just needed to be sorted so have sedated to load/ travel. It’s not the end of the world and you can work on positive travel experiences later. I wouldn’t delay based on that personally.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If your vet is reluctant to do this at home, ask for a referral to someone who will. If the splinter is jagged and has snagged on surrounding tissue, no amount of flushing will dislodge it.

This, there are vets that will do it at home. A lot of keratoma ops are done standong sedation in their own stables.....not mine as he had to have one of the biggest, if not the biggest the speicallist had ever seen 🙄

conniegirl

Visit site
A baking powder paste wrapped in waterproof bandage normally draws splinters out but if its quite big i’d want it surgically removed to make sure everything has gone