Forget the toilet roll and hand sanitiser, I just panic bought a horse!

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have ridden Criollo horses in Argentina and they are an absolute pleasure to ride. Also got to ride a Paso a few times they are also amazing fun. Did not know there were a fair few in UK as the export of Argentinian Criollos collapsed many years ago according to the owners of the Estancia I was on. It seems a lot of polo ponies these days are small TB's in UK.

daffy44

Visit site
I have two Argentine Criollos, both retired polo ponies, both chestnut mares, bred in Argentina and imported and played by the same man, they are the loveliest ponies, I do also have another retired polo pony, she is a NZ TB. I do love to give a happy retirement to a polo pony.

paddy555

Visit site
I have ridden Criollo horses in Argentina and they are an absolute pleasure to ride. Also got to ride a Paso a few times they are also amazing fun. Did not know there were a fair few in UK as the export of Argentinian Criollos collapsed many years ago according to the owners of the Estancia I was on. It seems a lot of polo ponies these days are small TB's in UK.

Paso's. Now you are really talking. Nothing in this world rides like a PP with brio.

I don't know how many Criollos there are in the UK. Arrayans's offspring could be counted accurately, I know of other odd ones, The criollo farm has now presumably long gone and there cannot be many left from that era. Anyone else know how many there are?

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Hi all! Just a quick update on Falco - a video of him having some free playtime after a short groundwork session (jesus he is smart, he picks things up so quickly)

Hopefully the pic attachment has worked and you can see how he is growing in to his headcollar now too, I'm interested to see what height he ends up actually.

They are still on 24/7 turnout which is lovely but he does LOVE coming in to his stable so I think winter will be OK coming in at night. We also have a new yearling arriving at the yard in October so I'm sure he will enjoy having another youngster play with!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Visit site
Hello everyone. I’m new here, and was introduced to this thread by a friend as I have also just bought an Arryan baby! She is staying at the breeders until spring this year but am super excited to receive her in March. I believe she is (one of his) last foals, before he was sold in December.
Just like you, I am worried I won’t do her and Arryan’s name justice, but I have a lot of help and support around me and I am excited to bond with her and to grow together.
Her future will be that of a western one.

paddy555

Visit site
Hi all! Just a quick update on Falco - a video of him having some free playtime after a short groundwork session (jesus he is smart, he picks things up so quickly)

Hopefully the pic attachment has worked and you can see how he is growing in to his headcollar now too, I'm interested to see what height he ends up actually.

They are still on 24/7 turnout which is lovely but he does LOVE coming in to his stable so I think winter will be OK coming in at night. We also have a new yearling arriving at the yard in October so I'm sure he will enjoy having another youngster play with!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
coming along nicely. Just like most of the others, PINK :D:D:D:D:D
Chamfron Ombu was Arrayan/Fatima both 14.2 and he is around 14.3 but he has really "chunked out" in the last month or so at 5 yrs 4 mths. Enjoy him. I don't know where the last 5 years have gone with Ombu. He was my baby and now is all growed up :eek:

paddy555

Visit site
Can I assume that all of you Criolla loving people have read Tschiffely's Ride and the related book, Tale of Two Horses? My only knowledge of this breed is through these books and if all your Criollas are similar I do think you are very lucky owners.

I read them years ago and always wanted one. All the ones I have met are the same.

paddy555

Visit site
Hello everyone. I’m new here, and was introduced to this thread by a friend as I have also just bought an Arryan baby! She is staying at the breeders until spring this year but am super excited to receive her in March. I believe she is (one of his) last foals, before he was sold in December.
Just like you, I am worried I won’t do her and Arryan’s name justice, but I have a lot of help and support around me and I am excited to bond with her and to grow together.

Hi, welcome to the club. Did you get your baby from S (won't put her name)? which one are you going to have?
Yes the ones born this year will be Ari's last foals. I am not proposing to use him for breeding.
I am sure you will do them both justice.

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the club. Did you get your baby from S (won't put her name)? which one are you going to have?
Yes the ones born this year will be Ari's last foals. I am not proposing to use him for breeding.
I am sure you will do them both justice.

Yes from S :)
I have the red roan mare (April)

Visit site
the girl with the white stripe down her face. She is lovely. You are very lucky. Enjoy and keep us updated. It's going to be a long few months till March.:)

Yes, that's her ?. I know, I am very grateful.
it will be here before I know it! This year has flown by already. Didn’t want to pull her up to the Pennines just in time for winter - not ideal. Am going to see her down there though in a few weeks.

willowblack

Visit site
Congratulations!!!! Agreed, much better buy than loo roll ?

Daughter has just gone to uni and I have bought a new horse in her absence ? she told me no greys (she’s had 4 ponies in her 15 years of riding, all grey) no mares, and nothing under 6....so naturally I’ve surprised her with a grey, 4 year old mare ????

I’d say 2 stage would be fine.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site

Ohh we will have to start a club haha! I'm on a yard with a few people that have had youngsters before and they have all said what an angel he is - he has the odd baby exciting moments, but he does have a very sensible head on his shoulders really! I'd like to do a bit of inhand TREC with him next year but his career as such will hopefully be XC - we will just see what he's good at and go with it

I bet you can't wait for her arrival - I look forward to some pictures!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Another little Falco update - the TB side of him doesn't seem enjoy the rain so I have got him a little rainsheet which he seems to like wearing. He is really starting to get a nice chunky neck, and he is becoming a very sensible chap at the age of around 16 months :)
(sensible to handle, he still likes to lob other peoples headcollars around the field for them to find in the dark)

Attachments

• 20201201_175348.jpg
    20201201_175348.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Falco.JPG
    Falco.JPG
    392.3 KB · Views: 80

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Some of you may have seen my previous post RE Falco...Sadly yesterday after loads of xrays he has confirmed OCD lesions in his stifles and one "floater" in one of his hocks too. The vet thinks the problem was already there but a fall in the field or some other trauma has caused the fragments to "explode" which is why he went so lame so suddenly.

He is booked in for surgery next week - vet is confident his prospects are good as he is so young and his growth plates are still well and truly open, so as long as we sort this problem before he gets older he should be fine!

He's doing great on box rest at the moment, and once he is allowed - I will be turning him away on a nice grass livery if I can find one. He has had a lot expected of him these last two weeks with vets prodding and poking, needles, ultrasound & xrays, even poultices etc for a random abscess. He has been a perfect patient and I couldn't have asked for more really - he thoroughly deserves to go and live in a herd, and chill out for a few years!

(As far as I'm aware he's the only Arrayan foal to have had this problem, so just rubbish luck really!)

Landcruiser

Visit site
I just came across this thread while searching Arrayan on Google. I just bought a 2 1/2 year old Arrayan filly, she’s out of a Paint mare “Aztecs Paint it Black”. She’s pink of course. I know two other Arrayans, one pink and one dark steel grey roan - it has been a secret dream of mine to own one of these fabulous horses. (I already own two Uraguy criollo geldings, but one has been retired for years and the other has just been diagnosed with hock arthritis). I’m sure she’ll soon knock them into shape

Attachments

• ABC47FF8-E095-474E-BF0F-1242DEBC2FE7.jpeg
    ABC47FF8-E095-474E-BF0F-1242DEBC2FE7.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 0FBB2594-08EC-4A75-A0AA-EB891073E79B.jpeg
    0FBB2594-08EC-4A75-A0AA-EB891073E79B.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 40

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I just came across this thread while searching Arrayan on Google. I just bought a 2 1/2 year old Arrayan filly, she’s out of a Paint mare “Aztecs Paint it Black”. She’s pink of course. I know two other Arrayans, one pink and one dark steel grey roan - it has been a secret dream of mine to own one of these fabulous horses. (I already own two Uraguy criollo geldings, but one has been retired for years and the other has just been diagnosed with hock arthritis). I’m sure she’ll soon knock them into shape

Ooh she is beautiful! They all have such a distinctive look, can spot an arayan a mile away!

I found Falco such a perfect grass livery that I moved my older horse there too. Over 50 acres on a valley in a mixed herd of 18 - couldn't have asked for more and he is so happy there and he is growing quite beefy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210916-214616_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-214616_Gallery.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 78