Forrest's Kissing Spine update

Bozzy

Visit site
Forrest's xrays should have been sent to Willesley back in November. After numerous phonecalls, chasing and 2 lots of xrays being sent up to Willesley, it turns out Oilver Crowe had called my vet in December with his opinion the KS. I only found this out today but all he said was that Forrest definitely had KS and that he could possibly be a candidate for the surgery, it really depends on how he is going
confused.gif
I had really wanted Svend to look at the xrays so have spoken to his secretary this morning but she says this will probably take another few weeks or so as he's so busy….arghhh!!! Why is nothing ever simple, I've waited this long to get a response from Svend and he's still yet to even look at them.

So my vet has now convinced me to go for a bone scan on both his back and sacroilliac (he has quite severe pain there to) to rule out any other problems elsewhere, then have cortisone into his sacroilliac and if I still feel the need we'll go for surgery. I'm just concious of my claim, I only have £4000 vets fees and £500 hospital, with the visits, xrays and cortisone in his spine already done plus the potential £1000 for the bone scan we'd be at about £1500 already.

I just don't know what do do
frown.gif
It's driving me mad
frown.gif
I'm not sure any of you can offer any advice/help….I suppose I just wanted a bit of a rant!

dozzie

Visit site
The kissing spines op is about £2500. So you are right on your limit. Bone scans will identify other issues but why not get a physio to look at your horse first. They might be able to identify if there are other problems to investigate and this might help you to decide. I use a physio local to you.

Bozzy

Visit site
Thanks Dooziesmummy, I was previously going to have a physio to give him a once over but was advised not to bother
frown.gif

Would you mind pm'ing me who you use? Thanks
smile.gif

BethH

Visit site
Think is worth waiting for Svend to check x-rays over, I would ring and say that you asked for him to look at them in the 1st place and why wasn't your request carried out. That way you may be able to jump the queue!

A KS op is more likely to be successful if you know there is nothing else wrong with your horse that could cause setbacks. Don't know whether to tell you to have scan or not. It would rule out any other problems but also eat into your Insurance funds. Mine was £4k aswell. Do you have non-vet fees too as that would cover transport and then the main cost you would have to pay is physio and check ups which although not cheap might just be bearable if the scans and op was covered by Insurance!

PM me if you need a hand with anything

ccooxxyy

Visit site
Svend operated on a friends horse for kissing spines about 4 yrs ago, it didn't work out however and the horse had to be put down...

seabiscuit

Visit site
If it were me, I wouldnt bother with all the bone scans etc Rather than wait for Svend to actually look at the xrays could you book an appoitment for him to see the actual horse? It would then be far easier to advise you and where to go...because he needs to see how the horse is moving etc.

Surely the secrectary could book Forrest in for an appointment?

debradley

Visit site
I'd be inclined to agree. Don't spend any more on investigations until Svend has taken a look at Forest. When Honey went down she had her hocks and everything x-rayed to check there was nothing else there that could be causing the problem instead of the KS. Hang in there, you'll get there in the end, it is a bit frustrating though when you've been waiting that long. Let us know how you get on.

Touchwood

www.touchwoodstud.co.uk
I agree with the others - get Svend to look at him first. But if he thinks there is possibility of SI, then definately sort that before the surgery if possible. One of mine has SI problems following an old pelvic fracture and it just has such a massive effect on their whole body.