Forum etiquette

Armas

Visit site
Following on from a post I made in the Veterinary forum, http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=560331

What is the etiquette when posting information from the web ? I cut and pasted information from another forum as I thought it important to share.

I reposted the information and stated above the post was cut and pasted from else where.

Now the original poster seems to be in a huff that I did not ask there permission or inform them that I was going to do that :rolleyes:. I kindly pointed out don't post stuff on the web if you don't want it shared.

Comments :D

Ladyinred

Visit site
I would be quite flattered if someone considered a post of mine worthy of being shared elsewhere!!

As regards Netiquette I think you are in a bit of a grey area, you stated the origin of the post, which is 'correct' but although I agree it's a bit childish I can sort of see the OPs point. Sometimes though, it's more important to share valuable information than to be seen to be meticulously following the (unwritten) rules.

WelshD

Visit site
If they are putting something in the public domain I don't see why they are upset however I do tend to prefix such copies with 'taken from x post on x forum' just to show that it's not my information

An exception to me would be replicating an information heavy 'sticky' post from another forum as these tend to have involved quite a bit of work and it's only fair they should be 'exclusive' to that forum

Batgirl

Visit site
I would think it is because it is quite a specific personal post, I would always ask permission before reposting things that are not from public domain sites, though I get what you are saying about the forum being public this was obviously quite traumatic and she may not have wanted it dragged up again.

As you say etiquette is the word and good etiquette to me would have been to ask permission.

:)

Armas

Visit site
I would think it is because it is quite a specific personal post, I would always ask permission before reposting things that are not from public domain sites, though I get what you are saying about the forum being public this was obviously quite traumatic and she may not have wanted it dragged up again.

As you say etiquette is the word and good etiquette to me would have been to ask permission.

:)

If a post is so "personal" simply don't post it on a forum ! People cut past share things every second of the day a prime example of this is FB how many people see things they like and click share or upload a picture they have seen......
Forums are a public place, don't relate a story if you do not want is shared !

ROG

Visit site
I think this is the right netiquette

INFO SOURCE
I have heard from Zenith and they will be back. I understand the former staff have purchased the company from the adminstrators. It will be good to have Zenith back. As Roger said they are reccommended and have a good rep.

Link given to the source so the OP is recognised and what they said in quoted form to make obvious it is not my work

None of the meaning lost in the quote and not manipulated to make a point

Batgirl

Visit site
If a post is so "personal" simply don't post it on a forum ! People cut past share things every second of the day a prime example of this is FB how many people see things they like and click share or upload a picture they have seen......
Forums are a public place, don't relate a story if you do not want is shared !

Your question was about etiquette, my answer was about etiquette, no need to shout ;) I said in my answer that I agree that a forum is public, I just pointed out that it wasn't like she took out a 4 page add, she probably posted for support not so you could re post her story. As I said it would have been good etiquette to ask. However you do seem rather set that you are right so why bother asking the question :rolleyes:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I'm in agreement with OP. It's like telling something to someone IRL then getting grumpy when they gossiped about it to everyone they knew. Either tell nobody, tell close friends who can be trusted with your secrets, or tell random people (eg on a forum, acquaintences) and don't be upset that it isn't private any more. You can't have it both ways.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that it would be polite to ask first, however it is perfectly legal to do it. Another forum that I go on had posts used in court against the posters (during a work dispute) and now everyone has a fixed statement underneath their posts that say "my posts may not be used or copied without my permission and that of the forum owner's". That does make it ilegal according to that forum's lawyers.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If something is posted in a public domain & it can be viewed by anyone then I see no problem if it is posted elsewhere however when posted elsewhere the source of the quote/post should be mentioned. (Wipes dripping nose on back of sleeve......oops different etiquette) :)

The original poster may be annoyed but if she didn't want it viewed by people on the net then she shouldn't have posted it.