forward cut saddle??

showaddy1

Visit site
My daughter had a lesson this morn on her new mare, the instructor rode her first to get a feel of her.... she has suggested a more forward cut saddle as the mare is so wide behind and nothing in the front.
I understood what she meant, but have no ideas where to start looking. I did pop down to the local saddlers, but all the forward cut saddles looked like jumping saddles to me.
She is a 14'3" cob mare... very wide. Even the t4 sits a little high on her!
Any suggestions?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
You can get forward cut GP saddles but I don't think they're in fashion at the moment, most of the GP saddles I see appear to be more set up for dressage. If the horse has big shoulders get a saddle with the points of the tree pointing down rather than angled forwards like they are on lot of forward cut saddles. This is so the shoulder movement isn't restricted.

I've currently got Passier and Stubben saddles both forward cut GPs which I bought second hand. Compared to a lot of GP saddles they do look like jumping saddles but aren't, they have a standard GP type seat and enough room in the saddle flaps that I can let my stirrups down a bit for dressage without my legs falling off the back of the saddle or my feet/lower leg being dragged forwards by the placement of the stirrup bars.

How do you feel in your horses current saddle? It could just be that your instructor has long thighs and feels her legs have nowhere to go when riding in a typical straight cut cob saddle.

showaddy1

Visit site
My daughter said she feels as if the saddle is tipping her forward... and because the horse has so little in front I think her legs have no where to go?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
What is she riding in at the moment? Some trainers have "interesting" ideas about saddles, it may be that a better fitting saddle would be much better for the rider without bing more forward cut. A saddle that is too low in front will look straighter cut than it is supposed to be. I suggest contacting a saddle fitter and havnig them check the saddle is in balance, cheaper than a new saddle! I fit mostly cobs and natives and it's not a problem fitting most with a decent GP but a truly forward cut saddle is by definition a jump saddle - now many wide and big shouldered horses CAN take them, a few can't. If you'd like me to look at photos I will happily, pm me and I'll let you know what sort of photos are useful.