Forward going horse

XjenX

Visit site
iv just started a new share horse she is quite forward going if i try and get her to stop for more than a few seconds she will just start fast walking again has anyone got any advice on how to get a forward horse to slow down and stop evem gettong her from a canter to a walk is hard she is a brilliant horse though never bucks or misbehaves just got alot of energy

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I read on your previous post that the owner is not feeding or mucking out on the days you are not there so my guess is the horse is not being ridden on those days either, so she is only getting out on the days you do hence why she is fresh, is the horse being turned out everyday?

XjenX

Visit site
this is my new loan she is getting turned out everyday she is brilliant and getting groomed and tacked but as soon as you open the stable door and she has her tack on she is off even trying to get mounted up is difficult cause she is trying to go round the arena

skint1

Visit site
Try half halting, sitting right down, shoulders back, heels down, maybe some leg yielding to get her focused on you.
Just read pinkyboots post, who looks after this horse on days you are not there?

XjenX

Visit site
i decided i couldnt keep doing the other loan if i wanted her fed i would need to buy the feed it was getting to the stage i was up there everyday looking after her it was too much for me when i know i can make that commitment i would rather get my own horse thats what im working towards but cause i stopped riding for a few yrs thought this was the best way to get back in2 it n c if i could handle that level of responsibility

debserofe

Visit site
Quite often people confuse forward going horses with horses that are just running on - a forward horse is one that is in front of your leg and responsive. A horse that is running on, is not responsive as the leg is not on and the brakes are permanently required! There are a lot of different things you can do but you could start by trying to direct, rather than contain movement - Buck Brannaman's short serpentines are a great tool, basically bend your horse to the left and then right, ensuring that the outside rein is slack to allow your horse to really bend through the movement - when your horse starts to slow its feet, release and let them walk out - it takes time and guts to release the reins on a horse, that is running on, so best work on it in the school first! You are working on the stop and mounting every time you handle your horse in the halter - ask your horse to stop, move, back up and follow a feel through a gate, etc., all of which will help you with mounting. When you are working on the stop, make sure your horse commits to the stop by stopping on the hind end - again, watch Buck Brannaman - his 7 clinics are a must watch!!

XjenX

Visit site
thanks i was thinking about getting an instructor out once a wk till my riding gets back up to standard i stopped for 2yrs when i had my wee girl but finding it hard to track one down