Found a horse I really like - but she has melanomas

Lois Lame

Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It's clear that there is no way I can proceed with the purchase. I feel quite stupid actually. I got way too emotionally attached and turned a blind eye to things which were obvious red flags.

Don't feel bad about that. The really clever crooked dealers know how to reel a person in.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It's clear that there is no way I can proceed with the purchase. I feel quite stupid actually. I got way too emotionally attached and turned a blind eye to things which were obvious red flags.

Please don't feel stupid. You are far from that - you asked questions and took the answers on board. Many asks the questions, don't like the answers and flounce off and buy the horse anyway - now that IS stupid!

And you certainly won't be the first to be so smitten with a horse you bury doubts deep in your mind because the horse appeals so much, I've done the same thing myself in the past, and seriously regretted my stupid decision! :rolleyes:

good luck with the horse hunting :)

scats

Visit site

Please don’t feel stupid! You asked a really genuine question and if you have no experience of melanoma, how else would you know!

Good luck in your search and please let us know how you get on x

Griffin

Visit site

Not stupid at all. I fell in love with a pony that had Wobblers. Looking back, I know I had a lucky escape from a lot of heartache but he was a really sweet pony and I wanted to save him from the horrible dealers he was at.

The right horse is out there for you, just keep the faith.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The whole thing sounds very dodgy to me I would definitely not buy the horse, thank God you came on here before going ahead, don't think you are silly many people have been in similar situations your not the first and you won't be the last.

yhanni

Visit site
80% of grey horses have melanomas so avoiding a grey is probably a good idea! I have 2 & one has melanomas. He is 11 & the dentist found a tiny one in his mouth a couple of months ago. Made me very sad ?

Baywonder

Visit site
None of my old horses had melanomas (thankfully) - but as soon as I read the title of your thread OP, I knew exactly what the answers would be from everyone on here.

You are not stupid - it is very wise to ask questions - especially where horses are concerned. And always remember, there is no such thing as a silly question. You have done the right thing walking away from this horse - but you will find another one. :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi, I'm in the process of buying my first horse and I could use some advice.

I've found an amazing 9 year old grey mare with a lovely character. I've been to see her 6 times and have really bonded with her.

The owner has had her for a few months, says she rescued her from Holland and would like to re-home her as she already has too many horses of her own.

She is currently being ridden bitless. I was told that this was a training issue due to her mistreatment and was hoping to be able to ride her with a bit occasionally for competitions.

Today, the owner's young daughter let slip that the mare has melanoma under her tail and in her mouth.

The vet is supposed to be coming on Monday. I was expecting maybe a couple of issues but not this.

Just how serious are melanomas? I'm hoping to do trail rides, dressage, pop-up over some jumps and maybe compete at local shows.

Should I cancel the whole thing? Or wait til Monday and let the vet check her over? I'm guessing a malignancy check is going to be a lot more expensive than a normal vet check?

I'm gutted because I really, really like the horse. What should I do?
My late mare (laminitis) developed 2 under her dock, she was a dun but changed to rose grey. I kept an eye on them all her life, they never changed, but they do on some horses and can be fatal.

I am the other side of the coin to replies, as you need views on both sides, If I liked the horse and they we not intruding, then Knowing the risks of them getting worse sometimes, I would have a vet look at them and get their advice. We all take risks with horses, scarcoids, melanomas and more. If the mare was everything I wanted, and was having trouble finding a horse, then providing the horse was okayed by the vet then considering everything, then I would take the risk. Luckily some will take the risk otherwise all the grey horses would be culled. Melanomas can appear anytime, I would not and did not ever contemplate getting rid of my mare.

I love grey horses hence my reply. I would never buy bay black or chestnut so would always drift towards a grey along with palo and buckskins,duns
My new mare is a grey, no signs of melanoma's BUT if they appear, the journey would involve a vet and close monitoring. NEVER a sale.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My late mare (laminitis) developed 2 under her dock, she was a dun but changed to rose grey. I kept an eye on them all her life, they never changed, but they do on some horses and can be fatal.

I am the other side of the coin to replies, as you need views on both sides, If I liked the horse and they we not intruding, then Knowing the risks of them getting worse sometimes, I would have a vet look at them and get their advice. We all take risks with horses, scarcoids, melanomas and more. If the mare was everything I wanted, and was having trouble finding a horse, then providing the horse was okayed by the vet then considering everything, then I would take the risk. Luckily some will take the risk otherwise all the grey horses would be culled. Melanomas can appear anytime, I would not and did not ever contemplate getting rid of my mare.

I love grey horses hence my reply. I would never buy bay black or chestnut so would always drift towards a grey along with palo and buckskins,duns

All that aside the seller tried to hide it! What else are they hiding and op already suspects the horse is older that alone would make me suspicious.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I find it a bit odd. They let you view the horse six times (very generous and not at all normal IME) the horse is grey and you didn't lift the tail to look for melanomas? Much harder to check the mouth, depending on the location of the one there.

In a way it doesn't matter as you aren't going to buy the horse now, but you have learnt to check for melanomas under the tail if you view a grey again, so that is a positive to take away from the situation. :)

Marilyn91

Visit site

Thanks for your input and for presenting an alternative point of view! I also adore greys - despite the cleaning, they are still my favourite colour! In the end, it was the seller's dishonesty that swung it for me.

So much of their story doesn't add up. They claimed the horse had been starved and mistreated, which seems unlikely (she is very relaxed at feeding time, happy to share her food, while doing groundwork I could touch and stroke her with a whip everywhere). It took me a while to catch on, they must have thought I was a right mug! Anyway...

I see your point regarding the melanoma and under different circumstances, my decision might have been different :)

Marilyn91

Visit site
I find it a bit odd. They let you view the horse six times (very generous and not at all normal IME) the horse is grey and you didn't lift the tail to look for melanomas? Much harder to check the mouth, depending on the location of the one there.

In a way it doesn't matter as you aren't going to buy the horse now, but you have learnt to check for melanomas under the tail if you view a grey again, so that is a positive to take away from the situation. :)

You're right... I had a grey pony on part loan who had melanoma under the tail, I can't believe I didn't check properly. Absolutely kicking myself! I guess I got caught up in the excitement of the whole thing.

The seller encouraged me to visit as often as possible to bond with the horse. They claimed the horse had been starved and mistreated and said it would help her get to know me. I (naively!) thought they were kind people looking out for her and wanted her to go to a good, longterm home.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You're right... I had a grey pony on part loan who had melanoma under the tail, I can't believe I didn't check properly. Absolutely kicking myself! I guess I got caught up in the excitement of the whole thing.

The seller encouraged me to visit as often as possible to bond with the horse. They claimed the horse had been starved and mistreated and said it would help her get to know me. I (naively!) thought they were kind people looking out for her and wanted her to go to a good, longterm home.

Oh yes I can absolutely see how they possibly tried to hoodwink you. Maybe they hoped that you'd fall so much for the horse that you would want her anyway (once the melanomas came to light, maybe during a vetting)?

I hope you find the right horse soon. Good luck with your search. :)