Found some worms - what are they? HELP!

Visit site
My horse has been out with another livery (this horse moved on about 10 weeks ago) in their own field for the last six weeks. He has always been on a worming programme and the yard has a strict worming programme in place (I have been there six months).

Before I used the field it had two mares and foals in it (that had come from a dealers)

So today poo picking I found a couple of old poos which had lots of smallish white worms in them. The others were all ok. From looking on the net all I can find is round worm and pin worm that are white in colour. Neither horse is showing any sign of tail rubbing or irritation (so I thought that rules out pin worm) and both look fit and well, not *wormy* at all.

I am wondering whether one of the foals could have had roundworm as older horses supposedly develop resistance. This is as the poos were old maybe they were missed when the field was cleaned prior to ours going out.

Does anybody have any ideas? I am currently planning on getting a worm count kit from westgate labs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Peanot

Visit site
Usually worms are only found in poos when the horses have been wormed. This forces the worms out of the body. Unless something else has killed the worms. If this was an old poo, may it be possible that something else has left eggs on it to hatch??? The most common worm is the ascarid which is also found in foals. These are a long thickish worm a little like a flat earthworm, and also known as roundworm. Could it be these?

mostfunintown

Visit site
remeber these worms may have infested the droppings long after the horses gracefully put them there. Most of the time this is the case or just after worming.