Found stray dog... We might be having him!

Clodagh

Visit site
They may not love each other straight away. Put something slinky on, cook a fabulous meal be interesting in all sorts of devious ways and go and pick him up.
LOL!
I hope, if you decide he is a go that the Blue Cross approve your home!

Or maybe OH expressed misgivings and even as we speak OP is dressed in something slinky...

ponyparty

Visit site
We’re having him!

No slinky dress required, though I did shave my legs this morning just in case 🤣🤣

It wasn’t a fairy tale, brothers reunited sort of scene when Frank (my Frank, not the rescue being talked about earlier in this three) met George. Frank was actually a bit scared of him, the big wuss! But by the end of the few minutes we had, he was gingerly sniffing him at least. I think they’ll be ok with careful introduction and gradual integration.

Any tips on how best to do this would be gladly appreciated!

George isn’t at blue cross any more, he was sent to another local rehoming centre for his 7 days impoundment. They weren’t really that helpful or forthcoming with information about this, in fact we were rather rushed out of there. So I will be doing some research before we collect him. We have a home check next Wednesday and will collect him on Thursday, so we have time to prepare.

I’m thinking separate beds, spaces they can retreat from each other, a quiet space for George to retreat to if he wants to, away from us, while he settles in. Separate areas for feeding at least to begin with.

Going to get him registered with our vets so I can take him for weekly weigh ins, he is quite tubby!

Photos to follow in a second...

ponyparty

Visit site
He’s a cutie isn’t he!

PS you lot are all nuts (in the nicest possible way) 🤣 putting off your poo picking and other essential activities to hear about Gorgeous George..!

Thank goodness for my lovely OH ❤️ he relented at last on the second dog..! I mean, fate practically threw him into our laps, so how could he say no?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So pleased for you.

My advice for you would be to keep it simple.

Re-introduce in the garden, without forcing any interaction. Don’t make a particular fuss of either dog. Then go out for a nice little walk together.

Once in the house, again - not to much fuss of either dog.

Feed separately and sleep separately too.

Good luck. It’s just fabulous news xxx

{97702}

Visit site
Well I have to admit he would never have made it to the pound with me (which I know is illegal of course!) - he is lovely, I just adore the older ones, best of luck to you all xx

ETA - as AmyMay has said, no fuss when they are introduced. I’ve done it with lots of rescues over the years and it’s always the same routine - on a walk together, get home and act completely normally as if all the dogs have been together for years.

Avoid ‘pinch points’ like toys, beds and feeding time by removing all toys, giving them plenty of ‘bed choice’ and feeding separately. And don’t feed treats for a while if you generally do that 😊

ponyparty

Visit site
If I'd come down with a water infection it would have been on your head (so to speak). Good old OH, he clearly knows to choose his battles!!

Phew, I just replied in the nick of time then! I wouldn’t have wanted that on my conscience..! 😂

Yes, bless him, he puts up with a lot from me and my animals 😏