Fox Hounds as pets?

ThePinkPony

Visit site
i would adore a lemon/white hound as a pet but have been informed by many involved in the hunt that they are not pets, and do not make good pets. They are a working dog.

competitiondiva

Visit site
I only know of 1 person who's succeeded as having one as a pet, I believe they are pretty much impossible to house train, destroy houses and you can't let them off the lead!!! They are what they are working, pack animals, but good on anyone who is prepared to try and succeeds!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Not to be recommended unless you have adequate security (fencing high and strong enough to keep it in) and also company plus the ability to be able to give it plenty of strong free exercise. They are a pack animal and do far better in groups than alone when they'd probably become very destructive (until you've walked hound pups, no matter how many other breeds you have had, you just have no idea of the destruction they can cause every day). Personally I think it's unfair to ask it to be something it isn't bred to be.
At the end of the day, it is a hunting animal and it's wrong to attempt to change it just for your benefit.

ThePinkPony

Visit site
Erin, maybe contact you local hunt and have a couple of pups next year. that may give you an idea of how much work a hound would need.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I know one as a pet and she is a frickin' nightmare. Can't be let off lead, dog aggressive, pulls like a train, feel a bit sorry for her, her owner says she 'rescued' her from the hunt...

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I know one as a pet and she is a frickin' nightmare. Can't be let off lead, dog aggressive, pulls like a train, feel a bit sorry for her, her owner says she 'rescued' her from the hunt...

What a horrid life for her after the freedom of hunting as a pack. :mad: Yes, of course they have routine and discipline in kennels but hunting is their job, what they live for.

Incidentally, I would imagine it was from a private unregistered pack as the MFHA have strict rules as to that sort of thing; would be very surprised if any huntsman worth his salt would condone rehoming as pets.

hobo

Visit site
We have a hugh house and 250 acres and our part bred fox hound still bug##rs off if he slips his lead. They really are not pets but my crossbreed is adorable but I would not recomend one.
100_0160.jpg

hobowashingup.jpg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Maesfen, this girl is connected to the hunt via family and is a bit of a crusader, the bitch was not good at her job, you get the picture.
Put it this way, the grey fella in my sig can be a yob with other dogs but he was quite cowed by her!!!

Brownmare

Visit site
Im currently boarding a harrier hound, it makes some god awful noises:eek::p

LOL we walked harrier puppy once (please note - ONCE!!) and she spent most of the night howling and most of the day trying to beggar off to the next farm to play with her brothers there. Nightmare!

I also walked a bloodhound puppy, much more laid back but never lifted her nose from the floor and OMG the slobber :eek: the other dogs refused to drink from the water bowl after she had drunk.

On the other hand, a good friend has a lab X foxhound and wow that is a stunning dog. Size and build of a foxhound with a slightly broader head, those piercing foxhound eyes and jet black coat. No burglars within 5 miles of their place :D and he is a fantastic farm dog, has turned his hand quite well to flushing escaped pigs out of hedges :D but ratting is completely beyond him! Not sure he would cope with a more "domestic" lifestyle though (except for sofas and log fires obviously :rolleyes:)

prosefullstop

Visit site
You only have to enter "foxhound" into the search category of petfinder.com to see that they come up for rescue fairly frequently in America. I've come across quite a number at the dog parks here, and they seem well-adjusted as pets, and good with my small dogs. I don't know whether that's because they're American Foxhounds, which I've heard are more laid-back than their English counterparts.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
On the other hand, a good friend has a lab X foxhound and wow that is a stunning dog. Size and build of a foxhound with a slightly broader head, those piercing foxhound eyes and jet black coat.

I had that crossed with a JRT. Never. Again. :p
Looked a bit like Puppy's Popple.

Brownmare

Visit site
CC - that really is an eye-popping mix of breeds :eek: I think I would run for the hills if I saw one of those!

.....just checking - the JRT was the dad, right??

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I can't even remember! Nice wee thing but incredible, uncontrollable prey drive and she would incite my GSD bitch to chase (pair of them pulled me into barbed wire trying to go after our goat), and the GSD could have done a lot more damage and would have got the blame, so rehomed her to the parents of a college pal in an urban setting where I think she is still battling on into her teens!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I agree with all that has been said!
For my sins I have two couple of 8 week old pups, they have been here less than a week and have already destroyed a large once tidy pile of flower pots, four can pull a winter rug from the fence where it was drying, (heavy and wet) they are already into everything and doors have to be kept shut or you will loose anything and everything they can get hold of, chewable or not!

Give them a couple of months and they will a wandering go. Once they are going there is no way to stop them.

There is absolutely no malice to them, they are the most loveable villains of the dog breed.
I have known Fox Hounds from a child and all are the same, they cannot help it and are big strong dogs that are virtually impossible to train.

Many years ago as a child one, Viking, that we were walking at the riding school, took to going to the beach - 4 miles away. He was in heaven, picnics, one lick and a child's ice-cream was gone!
My father worked on the beach and brought him home. Foolishly my mother shut him in the kitchen. The larder was raided and the fridge over turned.
I had to take him back on the bus which was packed out. Had to take him on the top deck which had seats only down one side so more people could sit, I sat at the front with him jammed in the corner.
A child, a few seats back, opened a box of Maltesers and Viking clambered up over me and the other seats to get to them. The man sat next to me tried holding him but it was useless. The Maltesers were upset and as the bus was going uphill Viking was scrambling under the seats to get them and then, as the bus went downhill he scrambled to the front in pursuit of the sweets.
We were thrown off the bus and I had to walk him back to the stables.

I love Fox Hounds with a passion but as for having one for a pet, no way!

hobo

Visit site
Loving your puppy walking tail of Viking! I can picture it in my mind. I also walked one puppy a year before I got my crossbreed so luckerly knew what to expect. As you said no matter how much you loved them what a relief to give them back!!!!!!

Abracadabjar

Visit site
Ok I'm going to throw a spanner in the works.....my sister had a harrier hound for years! He was the most docile, placid animal a real gentleman! Loved the children and was her closet friend for years. She lost him 3 years ago to cancer :( he is a sorely missed member of the family.....but I agree that most are a nightmare! :)

hunting mad

Visit site
Having walked harriers and fox hounds i would never have one as a pet.I love having them but i think i love them going back even more!
I think the harrier is more independant than the fox hound

EAST KENT

Visit site
The only foxhound we had in the house started as a two day old whelp whose mum had too many to feed.She was a wonderful creature and surprised her bull terrier "mum" lots of times.
One of the couples I had disposed of a WHOLE loaf of my neighbours bread,and I only knew when a poop wrapped in a Mother`s Pride wrapper appeared.
Always knew when they had to go back home though,when windows or doors appeared where there had`nt been before!:D

Rose Folly

Visit site
Have to stick up for foxhounds. We acquired a foxhound X prob. Dalmatian from the local dog rescue. He'd already been rehomed twice.

Four years on, he's the best dog I've ever had. It has been a LOT of work but worth every minute. I've been religiously taking him to dog training every week, and he's (slowly) working his way up the Kennel Club Obedience ladder. He is sweet-tempered with humans, but is the best guard dog we've had in our very long married life. He has prevented two burglaries so far. He is a very respectful house dog, gets on fine with our other, older dog and the cat. He IS rude to other dogs on leads but once running free he'll just ignore them. He's very steady with stock (sssh, we're scared of chickens and sheep). He would love to come out riding with me but his one weakness is rubbish bins, and I fear our rides would be marked by a trail of refuse!

My father, who was an MFH for over 40 years, took the very occasional old hound on as a house dog but would never let anyone else - he said people just don't have the dedication.

I believe that if you are country-based, have sufficient time, experience, plenty of your own land and enough energy to exercise them properly, foxhounds types can be wonderful. Only problem is that I can't watch any hunting programmes on Horse & Country - the commentary is drowned out by our boy singing along lustily....

But is suspect from preivous posts that I'm a lone voice?

mad4foxhounds

New User
Visit site
well im sadden to see so many people havent been able to suceed with their hounds, i have had many a " pet" foxhound some from working hunts, and some not, foxhounds arent any different then any other breed and will reward you with what you put into them, i dont think they suit everyboby however which breed does, i could live with little yappy dogs, as for not beinghardtohouse train or do anything with i have never had a problem training any of our rescues that we deal with and we have had a lot, as we are the only speicalist rehoming/welfare group for the foxhound in the uk,
plenty of exercise and allowing them to use ther brain- yes foxhounds have a brain, the learn differently from other breed and yes might not be your chocolate soldier that doesnt do anything with out being told to but personally thats what i love about my breed, we currently have hounds that have hunted and ones that never have and personly living with 5 couple(thats 10 hounds) IN MY HOUSE NOT KENNELED< and two border collies, my hounds are fab, the rescues are brillient, they are great with strangers, other breeds of dogs, children, yes granted some have higher prey drive then others, and that means they will chase smaller furries like cats and rabbits but we have also been sucessful in rehoming these hounds with cats and rabbits,
yes people who get foxhounds from "normal" shelters and rescue groups, will find the breed a hand full but with leadership exercise, companyand routeen, the hound will become a well adapted member of the family,
anyone wanting to come and meet my foxhounds is welcome to, and will see for them selves, and yes hunts know of me and my team and so do the Mfha. before anyone starts to give me the riot act...
amercian foxhounds are very simular to english they are fast then our english as englsh have a lttle more bone to them, huntsman who like to go fast like hunting with the american,
mad4foxhounds
our welfare site is
Http://foxhoundwelfareuk.jimdo.com

Foxhunter49

Visit site
The four Fox Hound pups here hit the 5 month mark in a couple of weeks.
Today I have picked up (having to crawl on my hands and knees under a fir tree) two of my slippers, a welly boot, a large saucepan, a walking stick, numerous grooming brushes, a yard broom - I have left there about a dozen flower pots, an old halter rope, a beyond redemption slipper, a deflated football and the remains of a ling dead moorhen.

Bless their cotton socks, they look so sweet all curled up in the kennel on their deep straw filled bench. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths!

One good thing about having hound pups around is that the horses get use to them singing and no longer get wound up when the four start.

Master came down last week and (probably says it to everyone who walks pups) that they were looking the best of the bunch.

Funny thing is that my GSD takes the role of Mother Superior very seriously, she chaperones them around and if they do not come to call she gives them a right telling off.

One thing for sure they are very respectful of the older terriers. I normally feed them in the kennel but one of the bitches is looking a bit light so when I was feeding all the dogs I was throwing them chunks of meet to make sure Hatpin got more than her share.
One of the old terriers leapt up and grabbed the chink before the pup had a chance and he very quickly relinquished it and then another old girl took the chunk form another pup's mouth!

I love them dearly but know that in a few weeks they will start to wander and will be off, noses to the ground and ready to work. Then they will go back. I will miss them but it will be a good miss!