Foxgloves

bumper

Visit site
Loads of them around the field perimeter, which I encountered whilst pulling the remnants of ragwort. Lovely farmer had removed all from the field itself.
IMG_0199.jpg

Now, I just posted this pic on FB, and a friend with horses on restricted grazing has pulled all her foxgloves. I've never worried about them on the borders as I've never seen a horse even look sideways at one to eat (I expect more dangerous if dried in hay), and it'd take AGES to remove them all! Horses are not on restricted grazing, and in a big @5 acre field with lots of grass.
What do you think?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Foxgloves are poisonous to horses. I see people keep their horses in fields of ragwort and never see them even look like they're thinking of eating it. Doesn't mean its a good idea to leave it there though.

TED2010

Visit site
I have quite a few about too and they do look pretty. As you said i've never known the horses to go anywhere near them and do have heaps of grass ...... But think I might get rid, As someone else said better safe than sorry. Next job on my list, last two evenings have been pulling docks and cutting stinging nettles :rolleyes:

cambrica

Visit site
Please definately get rid of as soon as possible. Foxgloves (Digitalis) contain, well, Digitalis. Highly toxic and dangerous even in small doses as its can cause cardiac arrest. It is used for heart conditions as a drug to humans/animals. Horses shouldn't normally touch it but I would not take that chance. Just pull them up as they are not deep rooted.

indie999

Visit site
Yes they will need to be removed as they are dangerous but wear gloves and if possible if you can just leave a few out of reach for the bees! They love em.

Completely understand the removal. Shame though! (Shame for the bees..but you have tons in that picture)!!