Foxhill Spencers Wood

ClaireDec

New User
Visit site
I came across this post and it brought back very fond memories of when I learnt to ride at Foxhill Riding stables in Whiteknights. It was about 1962/63 when a friend suggested i go with her. I remember they put me on Sherry and I was told she could only trot. Thinking about it now maybe she was bought as an ex hackney horse. I recall the wonderful smell of the tack room, where all the saddles where kept. It cost 7 shillings and 6 pence (about 38p) for an hour's ride. David Goodey would be in the tack room with a rather glamourous lady called Sue. She would take your money and book you in for the following week. My favourite horse in the end was Silver. Sue would be seen riding him sidesaddle sometimes with full outfit and top hat. The other wonderful horse was Billy, a black cob. I think David would ride him when he went to shows with Sue. Robert Goodey's pony when he was young was Molly. When he was older he would take Molly and another pony, Robin (I think they were section A welsh ponies) in harness and carriage drive them. Oh my goodness - I remember the horses, but not people, apart from Lorna who I thought was also a Goodey. She would ride Bonny. The horses were Dusty (shetland) Peter and Admiral, Duke (very lazy would just stand in the field with rider kicking furiously to try to move him!) Every Sunday if you were lucky you could ride the ponies at the end of the day (had to be bearback to a field somewhere I think in Sindlesham). Robert or David would then pick us up in a Landrover. The horses would work really hard at the weekends, especially if they were popular like Silver and Billy. As I type a few more memories are coming back, but you are probably bored by now!

Hi, I believe the Lorna you may be refering too is my grandmother as she worked there at that time I think she left in 1964/1965! Ive been trying to find anyone else who worked there at that time but havent had any luck yet. Im hoping to find the history (horses, colleagues, stories, pictures) of what it was like there and whoe she may of interacted with! I think there used to be some brothers who worked there with a last name williams but thats not much to go on! Let me know if you thuink of anything!

ClaireDec

New User
Visit site
I remember some of those horses you have mentioned. Bonny was my 'charge' and I absolutely adored her. Peter was a wonderful looking Welsh Mountain pony - grey. Admiral I believe was an Exmoor. Often Bonny & Admiral were turned out together. Later it was Bonny & Peter. Molly ..... well, where shall I start??? She was a wonderful little demon. She would take the catch out of the oats box, which was sited in her stall, get her head in, and yes you've guessed it - have a wonderful time! Then it was down to one of us to ride it off of her!!! She also would get into Whiteknights Lake and swim round the field divisions to get where she wished to be. I recall a time when David had to wade into the Lake and retrieve her.

I remember Lorna, and actually gave her basic riding instruction. Diane was her friend and she would ride Admiral. I have a photo of her up on Bonny.

I wonder if Lorna can recall the ex-racehorse we stabled and were lucky enough to ride - Gallant Lad! He was a horse of some note in his racing career.

Bob was a large grey Welsh Cob who could be very stubborn, but was such a likeable character. Harding was massive. A flea-bitten grey with a wonderful temperament - simply a gentle giant! I believe Harding was employed to pull the Lord Mayor's coach in the parade in London.

Does anybody remember Trigger, Bud or Rusty?

Hi, I believe the Lorna you may be refering too is my grandmother as she worked there at that time I think she left in 1964/1965! Ive been trying to find anyone else who worked there at that time but havent had any luck yet. Im hoping to find the history (horses, colleagues, stories, pictures) of what it was like there and whoe she may of interacted with! I think there used to be some brothers who worked there with a last name williams but thats not much to go on! Let me know if you think of anything!

millhouse

Visit site
Hi, I believe the Lorna you may be refering too is my grandmother as she worked there at that time I think she left in 1964/1965! Ive been trying to find anyone else who worked there at that time but havent had any luck yet. Im hoping to find the history (horses, colleagues, stories, pictures) of what it was like there and whoe she may of interacted with! I think there used to be some brothers who worked there with a last name williams but thats not much to go on! Let me know if you think of anything!

Hi Claire,
Lorna was Lorna Green, and her friend was Diane, but I regret I cannot recall Diane's surname. Diane and I became good friends and it's only a pity we lost touch when reality had to kick in, and I for one was required to find a job that paid a reasonable wage on leaving school.

If Lorna is your Grandmother, where did she relocate to on leaving Foxhill? She was a very bold rider.

ClaireDec

New User
Visit site
Hi Claire,
Lorna was Lorna Green, and her friend was Diane, but I regret I cannot recall Diane's surname. Diane and I became good friends and it's only a pity we lost touch when reality had to kick in, and I for one was required to find a job that paid a reasonable wage on leaving school.

If Lorna is your Grandmother, where did she relocate to on leaving Foxhill? She was a very bold rider.

Ah No! maybe it wasnt the same Lorna :( Im sure she worked at Foxhill stables! I will have to check now! Lorna was Lorna young or mcminn. I dont have any pictures from when she was younger unfortunately to see if its the same one by chance :(
Thankyou for getting back to me though, I will have to let me know if i find anything else :)

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Claire- I’m sorry I never knew what Lorna’s surname was.( I always thought she was related to David) I rode there usually on a Saturday afternoon. I started when I was around 10years old. (1962) I was very shy. I rode there until I was 12 or 13 and a boy from my school helped out on the weekend, his name was Richard Lynch. I am curious who was living in Foxhill House in 1962/63. A lad would come through from the house into the courtyard and help out. Millhouse I wonder if you taught me. I do remember a person whose charge was Admiral and she left. Admiral was never quite the same. I think he missed her. Another lovely pony was Glory. A little Grey rocking horse ride. I Love hearing the memories please keep sharing. I live close to the university and walk around the lake reminiscing.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy,

That would have been the Kops family. Jimmie (younger of the two Brothers) would help out in the stables. He was friendly with Robert, David's younger Brother. Jimmie's elder Brother (Paul) also helped on occasions.

Before I relocated from Reading, I too used to visit Whiteknights Park and walk around the lake and up to where the original Foxhill Stables were situate, and like you, reminisce of happy days with the horses.

Diane, who looked after Admiral, and I left Foxhill at the same time, only to return to ride on occasions. Lorna was by then put in charge of the stable staff. Yes, I believe you are right - Admiral would have missed Diane, and Bonny would have missed me. However, due to a very unfortunate incident, we both, together with other stable staff, left.

As to Foxhill House, my late Brother's Wife and her 2nd Husband took over the management of the House in the 1980's/90's. I have photos of them in front of the Lake with many daffodils blooming, taken on the occasion of their marriage. Of course Foxhill Stables had by then relocated to Spencers Wood.

I doubt I taught you Lizzy, as mainly I gave lessons on Bonny - but you never know! Nice to speak with you.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse - so much interesting information. I did some research on Foxhill house (Waterhouse built and was the first to live in it ( famous architect of The Natural History Museum) The last owner I could find before University of Reading was The Hirsts. ( The General Electric company) The stables are now converted and houses the Law Department.

I have a rosette from Sindlesham Pony Show 1964 riding Bonny in the Congratulations Trotting race. I recall that I rode her in the main trotting race at 9.00am. She was so fresh that she sped off and I fell off! I also rode a skewbald that day called Ricky. Were you there in 1964? I remember a girl with short blonde hair I’m not sure if that could have been you or Diane. She was a very good teacher and either had Admiral or Peter as her charge. She would give you lots of advice while we rode down Whiteknights road to the Lodge and then entered the woods. Also at the pony show in 1964 Robert and a girl entered a horse in the fancy dress with the rider as little Bo-peep. They had a sheep with them as I think at the time the sheep was a companion to the horse, but I forget it’s name.

Gosh all the memories are coming back. I have an old friend, Maureen she has moved away now, she used to ride Billy ( beautiful black cob) I will ask her if she remembers anything, when I send her Christmas card. Thanks so much for all your information.

millhouse

Visit site
You did well on Bonny Lizzy. She could be a handful at the best of times, but she was a wonderful horse and ride. I absolutely adored her.

Diane had dark hair, straight and in a bob. I was fair, but would never classify myself blonde. lol

David had a Reading Standard newspaper cutting of my cat Timmy on the wall in his Office. I used to dress Tim up in my doll's clothes and he would sit in the front window of our house looking out. One of the Newspaper's journalists lived opposite and asked if he could arrange for photos to be taken of Tim. Of course we were all delighted, but as it happened the Newspaper wanted Tim dressed up in top hat, bow tie and spectacles. Can you imagine??? Came the day the photographer was due to call, Tim decided he was not playing. Eventually I managed to persuade him to wear his bow tie and top hat, but not the specs.

Time went by and we heard nothing, and decided it wasn't what the paper wanted. Can you imagine our total surprise when the Standard was delivered one Friday morning, and there on the front page was Tim dressed in all his finery?! The caption accompanying the photo was so amusing.

I was only 10 or 11 years old at the time, but relayed this event to David some years later, and he said to bring the newspaper cutting for them all to see. I never anticipated Tim adorning David's Office wall. Whether he kept the cutting on the wall after I left I don't know.

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse - what a fabulous story! I don’t recall seeing that in the office. I remember the office full of rosette’s and leather saddles and bridles. If you had short hair maybe dark blonde/brownish then I think I may remember you. What a pity you are not local we could walk around Whiteknights lake reminiscing. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
That would be wonderful Lizzy - I wish we could too!

Did you ever get to ride through Whiteknights? We did on many occasions, but were not allowed to ride down the Queen's Drive. We had to use the other entrance/exit nearer to Pepper Lane.

Do you remember the old stony humped back bridge at the end to the Lake? That's gone now of course. I had difficulty in establishing quite where I was when first I revisited Whiteknights. It tends to look so different now in parts. The bridge that I imagine replaced the old humped back bridge is now completely flat.

Do you remember the smallholding David had, where he kept pigs, chicken, Priscilla the goat? It was on the opposite side of the Lake, just up the steep little hill on Whiteknights Road and right through the green wooden gates? We used to get roped in to feed the animals and do the pigs' brew in the large old copper. That was a job!

One day two of David's prized pigs (Pinky & Perky) jumped over their pen and made off down Whiteknights Road - can you imagine??? David, myself, and I believe it was Diane, or maybe Jo, chasing the little rouges along Whiteknights Road, down Bulmershe Road (unmade at that time), and up the road which ran parallel to Bulmershe Road - I believe it is Hamilton Road??? We got them back safely I'm pleased to say.

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- sadly I didn’t get to ride there. It was mainly in the woods and large field overlooking the lake. I do however recall hacking out one day on Silver with a girl walking along side me. I’m unsure where exactly it was but she opened a gate into a very large field that was laid out like a race track (maybe it belonged to Maiden Erlegh stud) Silver bombed around the field I don’t think we should have been in there. I do remember the goat, but I didn’t go into the small holding. I think he brought the goat to graze in the large field occasionally. That must be where the allotments are now. I never managed to get myself out of bed to get to the stables early so missed out on getting a charge. Do you know where the field in Sindlesham was where the grazed the horses? If I was lucky I was asked to ride a pony to turn it out and then lift back in land rover. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

I think it must have been Maiden Erlegh Stud that you are referring to. I recall seeing a training racetrack on land which ran adjacent to the M4, and often wondered why and where it belonged. Can't think of anywhere else in that area it may have been. If that is the case, I think you are quite right - you shouldn't have been in there!!! lol

Sindlesham! I think that must have been beyond my time at Foxhill, as all the Riding School horses and ponies in my time were grazed on the land surrounding the Lake. David had the use of many sizeable fields on and near the Lake. Bonny and Admiral were invariably turned out in what I called 'the double field', which is now built upon with Halls of Residence. The lower field led into the adjacent upper and much larger field, and also allowed access to the smallholding, and a few smaller paddocks. One we used for jumping.

I can recall a number of horses and ponies grazing in a very rough piece of land which sat immediately adjacent to the M4 in recent years. I would have said that was totally unsuitable for horses, but they were there for a number of years. That field was quite close to J.11 of the M4. I am sure you will remember it if you travelled the Motorway. I doubt they were David's horses though.

Do you recall the stabling owned by an ex-army, Captain (I believe), on Wilderness Road at the junction with Beech Lane? I believe the entrance to the stable yard had a clock tower. There are now several large houses on that section of land.

Did you ever go to Foxhill when it moved to Spencer's Wood? I rode Bonny there once many years later - it must have been around 1972.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse

I never realised that there were fields further up as I always rode my bike along upper Redlands road and never ventured further. It was so rural then. I guess when the university took over David had to find alternative grazing. I remember seeing Silver in a field behind Whitley Park junior school. I did ride once or twice when I was older at Spencer’s Wood. I persuaded my now husband to ride one day. He rode Bullet and he had never been on a horse before. Three strides of canter along a grass verge and I heard shouting “come back” he was chasing Bullet along the verge. It didn’t put him off and later we went for lessons in Eton Wick. It was BHS approved run by a Miss Rodgers. We would something’s ride past Windsor Castle and gallop up the Long walk to the statue. It was fabulous and something that is no longer permitted. My husband shares a Welsh Cobb now with my friend and it is at Spencer’s Wood. I was just saying today that I never recall any horse off work through injury, but maybe I just didn’t hear about it. I do remember the field full of Shetlands by the M4 they were quite a site to behold. I think they were performing ponies. Well we have filled up this thread.....lol. Maybe others can remember things we haven’t. Lizzy

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Lizzy

That sounds wonderful Lizzy - riding the Long Walk!

No, I never recall any of David's horses being injured or off work either. They were well cared for. He was such a horse master.

The double field I referred to was on the other side of the track which you entered by the Gatehouse at the side of the Lake from Whiteknights Road. The field you referred to was adjacent to the Lake - on the righthand side of the track as you entered. The double field was on the lefthand side. In those days you couldn't walk completely around the Lake, that is a feature I located when re-visiting Whiteknights Park around 2004 I believe. Things had changed a good deal. It is lovely that the Lake is now so accessible and I used to go and watch the swans, including the black swans, and the many Canada Geese and the wonderfully colourful Mandarins - what a sight they are! I was also lucky enough one Spring to watch the two parent swans and their cygnets, so very tiny - that was in a quieter spot where the Lake becomes a small stream. I took many photos.

I think your Husband was very brave. It's never nice falling from a horse, but it can well knock your confidence if this happens shortly after taking the plunge. That's what happened to me when I first rode Bonny and she bolted. That is when David insisted I come back the next day and he would give me lessons.

Do you ride the Cob also? I would love to have a horse, but the expense of the upkeep is off-putting.

Did you ever go to the Horse Market in Reading - first Friday in the month I believe? I've brought ponies back for David from the market Peter was one, Admiral another. Can you imagine leading back through the traffic of Reading now??? We also used to take the horses down to the Farrier at the old Brewery in Fobney Street. Had to be bareback, as David would not permit a saddle when visiting the Farrier.

It's a pity more Members don't join this thread, but possibly they can't recall the era.

Millhouse

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- you have so many wonderful memories. I agree I wouldn’t want to lead a horse through the Reading traffic today. I did go to the sales once, but I was wary about buying from there. You needed to know a lot about horses and dealing I think. I heard stories of horses being given bute so they trotted up well. David knew what is was doing, as he got some beautiful horses from there. When my daughter was young she used to ride at Bearwood stables ( which is also now gone). The manager Kirsten was taught by David Goodey so she told me. My daughter started riding a beautiful Cremella pony, who we later bought. We kept her until she died. I used to ride her, but I don’t ride now. I used to be so keen, but it is my husband who loves riding now. We both did a walk around Whiteknights today. There are still swans and mandarin geese on the lake. I also located the clock tower, where you say there was also a riding stables. It is just up from Pepper lane. I took a photograph, but not sure I can download it here. There is a cottage in the grounds of the clock house called Maranede cottage. It looks like the old house may have been divided up and the grounds sold for 4 large detached houses. Where in the country are you? Keep the memories coming otherwise they will be lost. Lizzy F0165897-8656-4C66-91CC-0351209EAAB7.jpeg

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- you have so many wonderful memories. I agree I wouldn’t want to lead a horse through the Reading traffic today. I did go to the sales once, but I was wary about buying from there. You needed to know a lot about horses and dealing I think. I heard stories of horses being given bute so they trotted up well. David knew what is was doing, as he got some beautiful horses from there. When my daughter was young she used to ride at Bearwood stables ( which is also now gone). The manager Kirsten was taught by David Goodey so she told me. My daughter started riding a beautiful Cremella pony, who we later bought. We kept her until she died. I used to ride her, but I don’t ride now. I used to be so keen, but it is my husband who loves riding now. We both did a walk around Whiteknights today. There are still swans and mandarin geese on the lake. I also located the clock tower, where you say there was also a riding stables. It is just up from Pepper lane. I took a photograph, but not sure I can download it here. There is a cottage in the grounds of the clock house called Maranede cottage. It looks like the old house may have been divided up and the grounds sold for 4 large detached houses. Where in the country are you? Keep the memories coming otherwise they will be lost. Lizzy View attachment 60528

millhouse

Visit site
Oh that's wonderful Lizzy. It's lovely to see your horse, Benji. I had a cat called Benji.

I would dearly love to ride again, but somehow doubt this is likely to happen. I will have to be content with Dobbin. He resides in the garage here! Dobbin is my mechanical exercise horse. Lol. He is very good exercise and can travel at some speed. He doesn't need his feet trimmed and shod, and he's easy on the food bill!!! I always fancied one of those mechanical horses when I spied one years ago in a magazine. I was lucky enough to find one on the internet a few years back, but had to send to Germany for him, as I couldn't locate an outlet in UK. He's really a great exerciser and toner. 10 minutes on him of a day and you get off with that same old feeling when first you have ridden a horse. We all remember that, don't we??? (Where's the bath???).

Glad you and Hubby walked around Whiteknights today and saw the ducks. They are so colourful. Was the black swan on the Lake by chance? I was told about the black swan, but there were actually two of them. I was advised they could be pretty feisty.

I thought the whole of that building with the clock tower had disappeared. It was on the corner of Wilderness Road and Beech Lane. Maybe I am wrong. You can't pay too much attention to your surroundings when driving, so hopefully I am wrong. I wish I could recall the name of the owner in that era - possibly Capt. Black! That rings a bell. Yes, you are right, there are now several large modern houses built on that section of Wilderness Road.

I recall Bearwood Stables where your Daughter rode. So many riding establishments closed down. I rode for a while at Rosehill, Emmer Green. A lovely owner, but the calibre of the horses simply wasn't comparable with Foxhill's. Now that establishment appears to be doing extremely well under new management. Their website reads well.

I'm a fair way from your area Lizzy - North West. I doubt I shall ever return to Reading now. I had wanted to move for so many years, not honestly believing I would ever achieve it. I lost my dear Husband some years ago. We had planned to relocate to The Highlands when I retired, but then he died suddenly. I had to continue with my profession - I suppose it was my salvation, as it gave me focus. I tried to keep our dream alive, eventually securing a property in the north west of England. Not where I chose to be, but better than where I was. I am still searching properties over the border, but doubt I would venture into The Highlands to live now. Property prices in The Highlands are considerable in any event.

I've some old photos of Foxhill (black & white), but I haven't got them scanned onto the computer. One is framed up and hanging on my bedroom wall - it is of Peter with my friend Heather up and Bonny with me. I believe it was taken by one of the two Brothers who lived in Foxhill House. It is of us overlooking the Lake from that large field on the opposite side of the Lake from the big house.

Millhouse

millhouse

Visit site
Lizzy

I've only just spied your photo of the Clock Tower Cottage. Yes, that must be it! How different it looks today. If I remember rightly, the entrance to the yard beyond was open from Wilderness Road, entranced under the clock tower. It just all looks so different now. Thank you for posting that!

I've got an old Kelly's Directory of Reading, which goes back many years. It was my Mother's. I'll locate it sometime and see if that can bring anything to light.

Millhouse

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- you have so many wonderful memories. I agree I wouldn’t want to lead a horse through the Reading traffic today. I did go to the sales once, but I was wary about buying from there. You needed to know a lot about horses and dealing I think. I heard stories of horses being given bute so they trotted up well. David knew what is was doing, as he got some beautiful horses from there. When my daughter was young she used to ride at Bearwood stables ( which is also now gone). The manager Kirsten was taught by David Goodey so she told me. My daughter started riding a beautiful Cremella pony, who we later bought. We kept her until she died. I used to ride her, but I don’t ride now. I used to be so keen, but it is my husband who loves riding now. We both did a walk around Whiteknights today. There are still swans and mandarin geese on the lake. I also located the clock tower, where you say there was also a riding stables. It is just up from Pepper lane. I took a photograph, but not sure I can download it here. There is a cottage in the grounds of the clock house called Maranede cottage. It looks like the old house may have been divided up and the grounds sold for 4 large detached houses. Where in the country are you? Keep the memories coming otherwise they will be lost. Lizzy View attachment 60528

I used to ride at Bearwood stables - late 70s - fond memories ?

LizzyW

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- what a great idea having a mechanical horse, much better than an exercise bike or rowing machine..lol. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's death. I hope you eventually find the place you want and planned for. I would love to see the picture of you with Peter and Bonny. I have written to ask if my friend has any pictures of the stables. In those days we didn’t have the luxury of mobile phones with camera’s. The last thing I would have thought of was to take my brownie camera with me to a riding lesson! I wonder if Robert’s son has any pictures he could share?
If you have any more memories please keep them coming. ?

LizzyW

Visit site
What a lovely thread. Please keep these stories coming. I love reading them. I am not from the area you are referring to, but what you say is so interesting and eloquently put.
I started riding in 1970 and you have taken me back to those happy days through your own happy days.
Thank you- I have lovely memories of riding. I would have crawled over broken glass to be with horses.

millhouse

Visit site
Hi Millhouse- what a great idea having a mechanical horse, much better than an exercise bike or rowing machine..lol. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's death. I hope you eventually find the place you want and planned for. I would love to see the picture of you with Peter and Bonny. I have written to ask if my friend has any pictures of the stables. In those days we didn’t have the luxury of mobile phones with camera’s. The last thing I would have thought of was to take my brownie camera with me to a riding lesson! I wonder if Robert’s son has any pictures he could share?
If you have any more memories please keep them coming. ?

Let's hope your Friend has some old piccies of Foxhill.

I believe the photo I have framed up was indeed taken with a Brownie - takes you back doesn't it???

LizzyW

Visit site
Millhouse- I went for a run this morning around Whiteknights. I hope it’s ok to post these pictures. I thought it would be a nice reminder for you. Also Lynnfigaro can see what we are talking about. We are so lucky that these buildings are listed, otherwise they would probably be gone. Millhouse I think you will still recognise the locations ( looking down towards the lake and the other side of the lake) I have taken one of where I think the field would have been. Lizzy

Attachments

• 5504FA92-F176-4A85-9D18-61B33F135373.jpeg
    5504FA92-F176-4A85-9D18-61B33F135373.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 646FA951-9CEC-4466-8A8D-A184630992DE.jpeg
    646FA951-9CEC-4466-8A8D-A184630992DE.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 3A73E745-3F44-476A-9BCD-401337951E05.jpeg
    3A73E745-3F44-476A-9BCD-401337951E05.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 0AAD206B-A530-476D-912C-30E2044609F1.jpeg
    0AAD206B-A530-476D-912C-30E2044609F1.jpeg