Fracrtured Back - Lost nerve -Sell horse? WWYD

Toraylac

Visit site
I am just about to leave hospital tonight after spending 3 days in ICU, 2 days in Step down and 5 fays on an orthopaedic wards. Thankfully my surgery has gone very well but I did acquire Hospital acquired Pneumonia which made me very ill. All in all it has been a traumatic time.

Now the question the horse I was riding is my beautiful new ISH mare who is 4 and had been backed and professionally brought on. She has a fab temperament on the ground but is a little more challenging ridden - not unusual for a baby - BUT I have lost my nerve. I don't have anyone to exercise her so she i having time off. WHAT should I do with her?

eggs

Visit site
I fractured my back many years ago so I have some idea of where you are coming from.

As your mare is only 4 it wouldn't hurt to turn her away for a few months and then have someone bring her back into work for you. However, if you think you are unlikely to ever want to ride her again then it would probably be better to sell.

horsemum

Visit site
I wouldn't make any rash decisions seeing as you're just out of hospital, turn her away like the above poster mentioned and see how you feel when you're more yourself..... blame it on the drugs maybe still in your system ;)

be positive

Visit site
She doesn't sound as if she is going to be the horse for you so why not send her back to the pro yard to get going and sell for you, it will cost you to do so but may be the best way to get her into an appropriate home and recoup some of your expenses incurred by doing so.
If you do want to keep her then turn away until next year then see how you feel, unless she has a physical problem that caused her to do whatever put you in hospital it is likely to be a one off or at least down to greenness, sharp, young horse that will come out the other side in the right hands.

Other options, project horse but that means you dealing with purchasers, sales, not sure that is fair for a baby who is just green, loan but again dealing with people and unlikely to find someone capable enough to put in the work on someone else's horse.

kirstie

Visit site
I fractured my back coming up to 5 years ago now. I was very lucky not to be paralysed. Sobering to say the least.

Don't make any rash decisions. It may be that you don't want such a challenge when you get back on- and that is absolutely fine. But you may decide that's what you want, so give yourself a bit of time to process everything before taking action.

A fractured spine is a serious injury. I got back on my horse (who is sharp) less than a year after my accident. I would say that it took a good 2 years after that until I fully had my confidence back to be able to ride *properly* again. By properly I mean without doubting my ability, riding positively and just enjoying it totally. I did not have the accident on my horse though and although she is sharp she is not nasty and had never dumped me on purpose.

A good trainer, patience and time were the things that got my confidence back. I won't lie, every time I've fallen off since (3 times) I have been a wreck afterwards as I it brings back some horrible memories but I have just kept at it and I truly do still love riding.

You have a bit of a slog ahead- rest up, do your physio and exercises when the time is right and look after yourself. I know how you feel- if you want a rant/ moan or shoulder from someone who understands feel free to pm.

Ets if it were my horse I would turn away and pay to have her brought back into work when you are ready to ride again and make a decision from there if you want to keep her or sell on.

Last edited:

blodwyn1

Visit site
I fractured a vertebra three months ago and was expecting by now to be fit to ride again. Sadly this is not the case and I am pushing for more medical help. I still have my 3 ponies all welsh cobs and I am desperate to be able to do more as It is slowly killing my husband off being reluctant supergroom! All I can say is being patient and being careful is difficult ,but essential!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I fractured mine 2 and a bit years ago now. Spent 3 weeks in intensive care, months in a full body brace, and even longer rehabbing. I recovered pretty well and was bombing about the woods on my sharp cob. Then I deteriorated and am no disabled and struggle a lot wit standing and walking. I still have the young cob I bought when I was still in rehab, hes now a 5 yr old. Hes never going to be a sports horse, but hes forward and fun. I also trust him implicitly. He wouldnt ever drop someone deliberately. He does have his moments, but they are in slow motion compared to a TB type.

I'm very, very careful with what I ride and what I do. I wouldnt get on a sharp young horse for a million pounds. I havent lost my nerve, except really shifting over rough ground, as I got bolted with over a rough field and all I really remember is looking at the ground praying I could keep the horse on its feet. So that sort of situation results in me totally flipping out :(

I did buy a kick along plod last year, and just hated riding him! I literally couldnt stand it. So Frankie, is my compromise :) He moves well enough to do a decent novice test, is nice enough to show and if I wanted to, hes happy popping 3 foot. Hes also uber easy to look after which is very important as I struggle with any sort of "hard labour". I also love him as a person, so am happy to have him as a pet and ride as and when it suits me. Although plans are afoot to get out competing this year as hes going so well and is such a smart little chap :)

The best advice I can give you, is to do all the rehab you can and keep it up. Then in a years time reassess where you are. Lots of people bounce back with no issues, but some dont, and the ongoing problems can be devastating riding wise

Shay

Visit site
Me too - although 10 years ago for me. I sold my boy because I was told I would never ride again. I didn't actually see him because he was sold before I was mobile enough to do so. I've regretted it ever since. 10 years down the line I now know I probably would have sold him anyway - but not so quickly. I used the money from his sale to buy my daughter's first pony (she was 6) and have got my horse fix ever since with her SJ'rs and Eventers. (Although I didn't originally plan to have so many!) And we still have the first pony who has a home for life! I can ride - I tend not to because the brace I have to wear is a bit cumbersome and to be honest it hurts too much. Which I why I know Ben & I would have parted ways anyway. (Horse - not OH!) But I have always regretted selling the way I did.

OP - Your mare is young. She won't loose from being turned away for a year. You are not likely to be thinking too straight right now. Don't do anything him haste you might regret later.

Arzada

Visit site
Agree with others that it is really too soon after your accident to make a decision and to really know if you have lost your nerve. It will take considerable time get over the accident, the operation etc and to be really thinking clearly. It could be one to two years to physically heal and during that time you will know if you want to ride again and if your mare is the one you want to ride again. I wish you well with your recovery.

Bungo

Visit site
Hi Toraylac, having had a very similar experience 3 weeks ago with my home bred ISH I too have asked all of those questions. I was luckier than you, no fractures but serious muscle & nerve damage, been on morphine, diazepam and co-codamol for the past 3 weeks. What I have decided is to leave it a few weeks. Then get back checked as I was bronked, so I am thinking there is an underlying problem, there may or may not be same with your horse. In the past 3 weeks I have been looking at different options. I have been riding my own horses, all brought on as youngsters from unbroken to riding horses for the past 45 years. However, as I was bolted with 2 years ago on another horse which resulted in a similar accident I have now had 2 bad accidents in as many years. I am considering to get a more secure, deeper saddle to boost my confidence. In the past riding bareback has not been an issue, but the saddle being deeper will be a mental crutch. I also posted earlier this week asking people about their experiences with air jackets - if I decide to ride again, bearing in mind I am in my mid fifties & don't bounce anymore, this will be my first purchase. Try & find that thread as people's experiences with these sound amazing. Yes they are expensive, but if a motorcyclist can come off at 100mph and get up, I am sure we riders can. We are made of the same stern stuff. All I can say is hang on in there. You will get better. Get your horsey friends to talk to you and support you. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you are soon reunited with your horse.

Irish gal

Visit site
Toraylac, I would sell this horse and do it sooner rather then later. Unless you're Tony McCoy or a professional, so have no choice but to ride potentially dangerous animals, why not put your own health and safety first.

This could be what your mare is like - I was bronced off a beautiful four year-old mare, badly broke my collarbone and it took nine months to heal. She was a little sweetheart on the ground but didn't like a rider telling her what to do. I left her off for a year in which time she turned into a big strong draughty mare. Then I sent her to a professional: Her prognosis: mare beautiful but had an awful temper when told what to do, advised me she was a danger to any rider as would throw herself on the ground with a rider on board if she didn't like the request. Also, her mind not just her body had become much stronger in the year she was off.

Moral of the story: your mare might be wonderful but only suitable for a professional, if she's talented then put her on sales livery and get her the right home. I'll be amazed if you would have the nerve to ride her after what you've been through - it's only natural to be traumatised and she will feel that and play up even more. Don't put the horse before yourself - you have nothing to prove - get her a good home and put your own welfare and recovery first.

Make sure the first time you sit on a horse it's on a trusted plod, spend a few weeks on that animal and your confidence will come back. That's what I did.

Illusion100

Visit site
If your mare went out of her way to get you off, sell her.

If it was due to a genuine green baby moment, I'd turn her away for now and re-evaluate how you feel once you are feeling better and are well into your recovery.

Toraylac

Visit site
I fractured mine 2 and a bit years ago now. Spent 3 weeks in intensive care, months in a full body brace, and even longer rehabbing. I recovered pretty well and was bombing about the woods on my sharp cob. Then I deteriorated and am no disabled and struggle a lot wit standing and walking. I still have the young cob I bought when I was still in rehab, hes now a 5 yr old. Hes never going to be a sports horse, but hes forward and fun. I also trust him implicitly. He wouldnt ever drop someone deliberately. He does have his moments, but they are in slow motion compared to a TB type.

I'm very, very careful with what I ride and what I do. I wouldnt get on a sharp young horse for a million pounds. I havent lost my nerve, except really shifting over rough ground, as I got bolted with over a rough field and all I really remember is looking at the ground praying I could keep the horse on its feet. So that sort of situation results in me totally flipping out :(

I did buy a kick along plod last year, and just hated riding him! I literally couldnt stand it. So Frankie, is my compromise :) He moves well enough to do a decent novice test, is nice enough to show and if I wanted to, hes happy popping 3 foot. Hes also uber easy to look after which is very important as I struggle with any sort of "hard labour". I also love him as a person, so am happy to have him as a pet and ride as and when it suits me. Although plans are afoot to get out competing this year as hes going so well and is such a smart little chap :)

The best advice I can give you, is to do all the rehab you can and keep it up. Then in a years time reassess where you are. Lots of people bounce back with no issues, but some dont, and the ongoing problems can be devastating riding wise

Thank You Frankie Cob- i was thinking along the same lines.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Honestly, I have made a lot of mistakes a long the way, believe me! But I looked at my lovely cob tonight and just thought "yup, thats the one for me" :) I roughed him off over the winter and then got on and went out hacking and he was golden. Hes not been ridden in a few weeks due to moving house and hes moved yards as well and I'll have no worries jumping on and going out hacking next week. There are horses out there that you can trust 100% and do anything on, but arent kick alongs. I created my own having had him since a 2yr old, but theres no reason why you cant get one the same. Or even do what I did, and buy a youngster with the right attitude and create your own while your rehabing and healing :) Let me know how it goes and what you decide :)

Br00dMare

New User
Visit site
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I too broke my back in May and am still in bed most of the time and have a brace for occasional trips to bathroom etc., on morphine and many other strong painkillers. Unfortunately I was told my L1 was so badly fractured there was little they could do by operating and it was a wait and see diagnosis. I am still waiting........ I have also damaged several disks which are ruptured.
I was not on my own horse but a 7 year old cob x gelding I had on loan, I was told when I took him on he was "good as gold happy hacker" and I had had him for a month before the accident and he had seemed very placid until that afternoon. I have been told (since the accident unfortunately) that he had in fact got a history of getting people off if the mood took him, I wish the owner had been honest with me as she has left me with no income and 3 young kids to try to manage from bed! She also told me she was fully insured for both the horse and for me but it turned out that was a complete lie (my fault I should have insisted she produced proof).

Don't underestimate how much the morphine and other drugs affect your judgement, I would suggest as the others have that you leave it and see how you feel later. Obviously I am not in your position as because he was not mine I simply had to cope with the owner turning up in A&E and screaming at me that I had done it on purpose?!?
This is only my second ever fall (I have been riding for 35 years) but last time I was in a coma for 3 weeks after coming of my own 4 year old mare (lol I must be cursed) but was desperate to get back on her as soon as I could when I had recovered, and she was the first thing on my mind when I came round as I was scared she may have been injured too. I went on to ride her for another 5 years and she never put a foot wrong and looked after me impeccably.
If you fancy a chat at any time do please PM me we may be able to support each other through recovery?
very best wishes

Toraylac

Visit site
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I too broke my back in May and am still in bed most of the time and have a brace for occasional trips to bathroom etc., on morphine and many other strong painkillers. Unfortunately I was told my L1 was so badly fractured there was little they could do by operating and it was a wait and see diagnosis. I am still waiting........ I have also damaged several disks which are ruptured.
I was not on my own horse but a 7 year old cob x gelding I had on loan, I was told when I took him on he was "good as gold happy hacker" and I had had him for a month before the accident and he had seemed very placid until that afternoon. I have been told (since the accident unfortunately) that he had in fact got a history of getting people off if the mood took him, I wish the owner had been honest with me as she has left me with no income and 3 young kids to try to manage from bed! She also told me she was fully insured for both the horse and for me but it turned out that was a complete lie (my fault I should have insisted she produced proof).

Don't underestimate how much the morphine and other drugs affect your judgement, I would suggest as the others have that you leave it and see how you feel later. Obviously I am not in your position as because he was not mine I simply had to cope with the owner turning up in A&E and screaming at me that I had done it on purpose?!?
This is only my second ever fall (I have been riding for 35 years) but last time I was in a coma for 3 weeks after coming of my own 4 year old mare (lol I must be cursed) but was desperate to get back on her as soon as I could when I had recovered, and she was the first thing on my mind when I came round as I was scared she may have been injured too. I went on to ride her for another 5 years and she never put a foot wrong and looked after me impeccably.
If you fancy a chat at any time do please PM me we may be able to support each other through recovery?
very best wishes

I a so sorry BrOOdmare. Will PM XXXX

Toraylac

Visit site

You have had a hell of a time. l was operated on two weeks ago and back seems to recovering really well, except I am on loads of medication. Mustn't rush things.

Toraylac

Visit site
Hi Toraylac, having had a very similar experience 3 weeks ago with my home bred ISH I too have asked all of those questions. I was luckier than you, no fractures but serious muscle & nerve damage, been on morphine, diazepam and co-codamol for the past 3 weeks. What I have decided is to leave it a few weeks. Then get back checked as I was bronked, so I am thinking there is an underlying problem, there may or may not be same with your horse. In the past 3 weeks I have been looking at different options. I have been riding my own horses, all brought on as youngsters from unbroken to riding horses for the past 45 years. However, as I was bolted with 2 years ago on another horse which resulted in a similar accident I have now had 2 bad accidents in as many years. I am considering to get a more secure, deeper saddle to boost my confidence. In the past riding bareback has not been an issue, but the saddle being deeper will be a mental crutch. I also posted earlier this week asking people about their experiences with air jackets - if I decide to ride again, bearing in mind I am in my mid fifties & don't bounce anymore, this will be my first purchase. Try & find that thread as people's experiences with these sound amazing. Yes they are expensive, but if a motorcyclist can come off at 100mph and get up, I am sure we riders can. We are made of the same stern stuff. All I can say is hang on in there. You will get better. Get your horsey friends to talk to you and support you. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you are soon reunited with your horse.

Hi Bungo, I have taken on board what everyone is posting and as she bronced maybe she has got a problem i will investigate. As for the AIR JACKET - mine went off and saved me from any other injuries apart from y back. Might posta bout this next

Tiffany

Visit site
I can understand why you have lost your nerve, sounds like you have had a rough time. I think it's probably too soon to know if you've lost your nerve with your youngster or riding in general. I would look for someone locally who is a good and calm rider, used to youngsters and looking for a nice horse to ride have lessons on. I'm sure there is someone out there who would welcome the chance to ride/have lessons so, you would be helping each other.
I hope you make a speedy recovery

Arzada

Visit site
Hi Bungo, I have taken on board what everyone is posting and as she bronced maybe she has got a problem i will investigate. As for the AIR JACKET - mine went off and saved me from any other injuries apart from y back. Might posta bout this next
I'd be very interested in hearing about this. Thanks

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Don't make any decisions yet - wait until you have a solid long-term prognosis. If it looks like you will be fit and well with no further complications I would consider keeping the horse with a lot of professional help. If your back will be at all weakened I would definitely sell - you can't be riding a sharp baby if you shouldn't really be falling off. I hope your recovery will be smooth.