Fracture - see pic!

jaye1780

Visit site
Friends horse has been xrayed today which shows the fracture below. Vet has said inoperable due to where it is and that when it fuses the leg will lose all mobility so end decision is pts. Shes stabled and buted to make comfortable at the minute but my friend is looking for any other opinion on the fracture prognosis wise? Any experience of the same? She totally understands that the horse cant stay in pain but would like to at least do a last look for any possibilities. Please dont judge her decision just offer any experience if you can....thanks :)

Dreamerfracture.jpg

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Friends horse has been xrayed today which shows the fracture below. Vet has said inoperable due to where it is and that when it fuses the leg will lose all mobility so end decision is pts. Shes stabled and buted to make comfortable at the minute but my friend is looking for any other opinion on the fracture prognosis wise? Any experience of the same? She totally understands that the horse cant stay in pain but would like to at least do a last look for any possibilities. Please dont judge her decision just offer any experience if you can....thanks :)

Dreamerfracture.jpg

contact Glasgow vets they are the best in the country who go where other vets wont go.

good luck with horse

what about swimming at equine spa etc?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am a little baffled as to why/how swimming is going to help a fractured foot?

OP what a nasty place to fracture and I would be surprised if anyone can offer any other solutions. Has the owner emailed the xray to any of the big practices/vet schools for confirmation? then she can be happier with the decision

Last edited:

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Let's be realistic. Six months of box rest to start with. Very few horses will stand THAT easily. The chances of her coming sound are VERY low indeed. If MY vet gave me that prognosis, I wouldn't hesitate to PTS. If it was a vet I wasn't so confident of, I'd have the x-rays to the nearest TOP equine horpital for a 2nd opinion (but I'm pretty sure they'd agree!)

jaye1780

Visit site
She's sent the xray off to some other vets last night but it was too late on to speak to any once she had the results. From what the original vet said I do think the outcome will be pts as she said but when its your baby you want to cover every avenue don't you :) It was totally unexpected by both the owner and vet so think its a case of going through the motions but I totally understand her decision to try everything, she's not looking for her to be rideable sound just field sound (she was a field companion when this happened). I have found a case with a fracture that looks similar but the horse was in america, only a foal/yearling at the time and operated with success. Arthritis has already set in so I think sadly pts will be inevitable but its hard to accept that when you're in shock isnt it :( Thanks for the help, will pass on the glasgow vets info for her so she can at least put her mind at ease if nothing else :) So easy to say pts. I went through the same what if process last month with my boy even though I knew from Rossdales and own vet no other option. He was pts but you have to just cover that angle in your own mind when in that position.

applecart14

Visit site
I can understand why she feels like she does. If it was me and I was doutful of my vets advice and I felt very driven to get a second opinion then I would take the vets advice every time and do what he/she suggested.

Quality of life now and in the future are what count. Horses come and go out of lives. To lose one is a blow, God knows I lost four in a row under seven years and it nearly killed me, but in the situations I was in where my horses required PTS I was with the vet in agreement all the way.

Unless I am very mistaken the pedal bone looks like it has sunk slightly (comparing this with the xrays I saw of my horses pedal bone yesterday). This in itself is prelude to more pain for this horse. I don't think your friend should put her horse through anymore but that is only imho.

Last edited:

jaye1780

Visit site
I can understand why she feels like she does. If it was me and I was doutful of my vets advice and I felt very driven to get a second opinion then I would take the vets advice every time and do what he/she suggested.

Quality of life now and in the future are what count. Horses come and go out of lives. To lose one is a blow, God knows I lost four in a row under seven years and it nearly killed me, but in the situations I was in where my horses required PTS I was with the vet in agreement all the way.

Unless I am very mistaken the pedal bone looks like it has sunk slightly (comparing this with the xrays I saw of my horses pedal bone yesterday). This in itself is prelude to more pain for this horse. I don't think your friend should put her horse through anymore but that is only imho.

Totally agree with quality of life etc, im pretty sure she will decide its the right thing to do over the weekend after it has sunk in a little more :) Sorry to hear you lost those 4 in 7 years thats heartbreaking, I dont know how you coped! Im not sure on the pedal bone part? She is in a lot of pain though bless her, so sad :(

putasocinit

Visit site
I second glasgow university vets, Patric Pollock, and newmarket, Mark Hillier send them a pic of the xrays and discuss first on phone. Sadly may have to pts, sorry

BronsonNutter

Visit site
To me it doesn't look repairable by operation - whether or not it might fuse is a different matter.
I've seen horses with a fused P1 and P2 live quite happily as a field ornament, but with no movement in that joint, but I haven't see one with a fused P2 and P3. Whether that's because I just haven't seen one yet, or because they don't exist, I don't know. I doubt the long term implications (eg. tendons, ligaments...) would be good though :(
If the horse is happy and pain free at the moment (even if it is buted up to the eyeballs) then your friend may at least wait till she gets the opinions of some other vets. It's easy for people to say PTS, but it is harder when it's your own horse.

flitz02

Visit site
I can totally understand where your friend is coming from & she needs to get a second opinion to confirm in her head that she is doing the absalute best for her horse...wishing her all the best.xx

glenruby

Visit site
The fracture is in the worst possible place to be honest. Also it is too large to remove but not possible to pin back together. The coffin joint has a high range of motion and an articular fracture in this area carries a hopeless prognosis I'm afraid.

Dukey

Visit site
My boy fully recovered from a facture but not in the same place. He was sent by my vet to Rossdales, would that be an option?