Fractured patella....has anyone ever done it?

pocket

Visit site
Having just got fit after 2yrs off of riding, I managed to have another accident and fractured my patella (knee cap)! Has anyone ever done this and how long was it before you was back riding??

Sol

Visit site
eep, haven't actually fractured them no, my dad thought I had though once when I came off after colliding with a fence (a week before xmas!) - turned out I 'only' bruised the cartilage, tore one of the ligaments 'inside' my knee, damaged tendons etc... :eek: Nothing broke though, however that was the extent of the damage 2yrs after the incident...
Knees seem to be fragile things! I hope yours doesn't take too long to heal :)

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Not broken my patella, but my knees dislocate all the time, and I have sprained/twisted my knee by crouching down, pivoting, and standing up, resulting in ripping the cartilage, tendons and ligaments in the joint.

It took me over 8 hours to climb the stairs to bed (had to sleep downstairs the night I mashed the joint), then 3 weeks in bed, 3 weeks on crutches (was supposed to be 6, but was itching to go riding so hobbled to the mounting block (on a crutch), Blackjack stood by the block for me (he did RDA) swung myself on (that was the most painful bit)and then hacked out with one stirrup. For a TB x he was pretty well behaved!)

I am still very very wary of crouching/kneeling down (I did this over 6 years ago), and my orthopaedic consultant and physiotherapist has told me never to run, as I have severe hyperextension of my knees (and most other joints), with no knee cap grooves so my patella is free to go wherever it wants and locks my knee if I put weight on the joint when it is not straight.

Fun fun fun!

You shouldn't be off for too long - bone usually heals much faster than soft tissue injuries (e.g. tendons/ligaments/muscle etc).

Fingers crossed x

Wobblywibble

Visit site
My friend did this in Feb 2009 (by dismounting!!). Three operations and nearly 18 months later she is riding again, albeit very carefully. She can't get on or off without a mounting block and still walks with a limp :-(

pocket

Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately I know all about knee injuries as this is now my third! But, never a fracture so a new one on me!! Hey ho, just go with the flow again :(