Fractured Radius

*Spider*

Visit site
Hello,
My beautiful 16.2hh occurred an incomplete radial fracture to his near fore. It has now been 7 weeks since the initial break. He was due to have his final x-ray on Thursday (21st) but I postponed it as I wasn't 100% happy.
He's booked in on Friday 29th now.
I'm just wondering if you think it's too soon?
It's a really simple, straight neat fracture.
Read stories of chips etc. where they cross tied for 12 weeks!
I'm uber worried now as he wasn't cross tied and has been laying down etc.
He was initially cross tied but he turned into a fruit loop, rearing and broncing tied up flailing his front feet in the air.
He's now completely cool as a cucumber and will wait at the stable door with it wide open while I potter around the yard.
I also read something about laminitis risk?!?!?! I obviously cut down a lot on feed but didn't know anything about laminitis.
Also he's started to toe-in a little bit, will this just correct itself when he's under controlled exercise?
I think I've been scare mongering myself again!

starryeyes

Visit site
I had a horse with a spiral fracture of his radius, which ended up being in 3 pieces! He was on box rest for 18weeks in total and spent the first 12weeks with a robert jones bandage and supportive wooden broom shanks attached!! The last few weeks he started walking in hand and the dressings were reduced.

He was in a 12x15ft stable with rubber mats and a very small shavings bed to prevent him from lying down. If he lay down his leg likely would have snapped and that would have been the end. He wasn't cross tied as he was happier not. We had him under 24hr watch and had cctv installed in his stable.

He was x-rayed initially and then at 12weeks. I dont think he was re x-rayed after that but i could be wrong!

Good luck, he came back to event at BE100 although he was a full TB and turned into a neurotic heap after his accident!

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Not quite the same but my horse had a star fracture of the ulna. He did it on the 5th of August and I was allowed to ride him "after santa had been":p. He was on box rest for much of that time but not cross tied, we bandaged him over the knee quite high up to try to restrict his movement and made sure he always had company. I can't now recall if he lay down (it was over 20 years ago!) but he came through it suprisingly well. He had some limited turnout before I started riding him, but vet wanted him ridden to try to build back up the muscle which was terribly wasted. He went on to event up to Novice level and never had any repurcussions; although I appreciate it's not the same bone. I don't think mine was re-xrayed - he was sound so we presumed it had healed! I do think 7 weeks is quite quick.

As for the laminitis. Another horse I had broke her pedal bone and the vet had her supporting foot padded out with newmarket formula or something (basically like putty) to try to prevent laminitis. It's to do with them supporting all their weight on one leg and is a real risk. But it's not inevitable so try not to panic, just feed as if he was already laminitic and consider something like the above.

Good luck, I hope he is ok soon :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My last horse suffered a fractured radius when he was about 17. He was on box rest for about 12 weeks, but not cross tied and I then sent him to a rehab yard for walk exercise and swimming as they had a massive horse walker. I started riding him about 6 months after the initial injury and he came back better than ever.....the box rest was a bit stressful but it was a necessary evil.

china

Visit site
My understanding was cross tying was necessary to prevent them lying down. Did your vet give you any sedatives to try so you could continue with the cross tying? The lami is mostly due to the extra pressure the other feet are under for holding the weight as they aren't fully weight bearing on the broken leg so the other legs over compensate. Hope the X-rays are clear.

leflynn

Visit site
Mine fractured his radius twice (unlucky) and has recovered, he wasn't crossed tied and they took approx 14 weeks each time to heal properly, 2nd time was quicker as I used ultrasound on him for 4 weeks. I also applied comfrey oil to the affected area both times as this is knit bone and can help (it was £7 so worth a go!)

Good luck :)

*Spider*

Visit site
Okay, I'm uber concerned now.
He was x-rayed 4 days after the initial break, 2 weeks after initial break and now this Thursday will be 8 weeks. This is too soon from what I've been reading! :(