Fractured scapular!

lbubb

New User
Visit site
3 weeks ago now I found my horse in his stable, he usually loves his food ad would do anything for it but on this night he wouldn't move, he seemed paralysed. I got the vet out and we found an 8 cm puncture wound to his shoulder. Anyway a week later he was no better so was sent to three counties equine hospital. He's now been there for 2 weeks with little improvement. When he first arrived they scanned and found an abscess on his shoulder around where what ever caused the puncture wound had entered they cut open his shoulder and around 4 litres of abscess came out. This was then left as an open wound to clear and since the discharge got less but has recently got more. ( there was also a bacteria called clostridium present which is sensitive to antibiotics being given) they then found the fracture to the scapular, they say it could heal as its in the best place to be splinted by muscles. He's now moving around the stable but dragging his leg and resting if slot of the time but he is managing to lie down and get up on his own( they say this is good as they were worried about him going lame I. His other leg as its taking majority of the weight of his front end) he is now off intravenous bute and now on oral bute. I wondered if anyone knows of Any horses of has had there own in a similar situation? If they have did you have second opinions off any surgeons

Greatful of any experiences as the vets are worried we may have to call it a day if lameness doesn't improve and his heart rate has also been up the past 3 days

Thanks