Frank Baines Dressage Saddles? Or other suggestions?

Scarlett

Visit site
I recently bought a Frank Baines Elan CC jump saddle and love it. It has a flat seat, small blocks and puts me in a good position, I also love the close contact feel I get and I'm looking for a dressage saddle that provides a similar feel.

I have an ancient Passier Grand Gilbert that I love but it's older than me and really needs either a complete rebuild or retirement :( I also find my hips hurt a bit in it, though I'm not sure if that's the twist or just my lack of suppleness! Either way it's probably going to head off to be looked at by Passier to see what they can do and I'm eyeing up my options.

I've been offered a FB Capriole, an older one, that is the same width and seat size as my Elan. From the pics it does look like there is very little too it so I'm tempted to buy it untried and take a chance. I have 3 TB's so I'm confident it would fit at least one of them.

Does anyone have any experience of the Capriole? Or can anyone suggest any other CC feel small blocked models I can look out for? I'd love an Equipe but the size of the block puts me off. Am in no hurry to buy, only asking as this FB has been put under my nose, but think it's worth starting to do my homework now anyway....

Cheers :)

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a Frank Baines. It only has small blocks and not a very deep seat. Not sure what style it is as its fairly old but it fits everything! The horses have changed more than the saddle. Its fitted TBs, ID x, CB x, Danish Warmblood and KWPN.

Scarlett

Visit site
I have a Frank Baines. It only has small blocks and not a very deep seat. Not sure what style it is as its fairly old but it fits everything! The horses have changed more than the saddle. Its fitted TBs, ID x, CB x, Danish Warmblood and KWPN.

Interesting - the one I'm looking at is older too.

The Elan jump I have fits all 3 of my guys and they are all different shapes, admitedly one wears a gel wither pad under it, would be amazing if the dressage was the same!