Freak accident

Marquire

Visit site
Yesterday we had a horrible accident on our yard. We have a regular visit from a saddler to check our saddles and some external people also bring their horses to the yard to have theirs checked too.

Anyway, one woman had brought her new horse to be fitted and all had gone well until she tried to load him to go home. He was really objecting to having to go back into the trailer, finally he reared up, fell over backwards and burst his carotid artery when he hit the ground. He bled out before the vet got there. It was a freak accident and the horse probably didn't know much about what happened after he hit the ground but it was traumatic for those who witnessed it.

equibabe20

Visit site
OMG thats horrible
frown.gif
poor horse and poor woman

S_N

Visit site
OMG - that's awful, poor woman, poor horse and poor everyon involved!!

A similar thing happened when I was a student at a college at a college run show......... as has been said, took ages to wash away the stains.............

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh poor thing, and how horrible it must have been for the owner too!

Sorry to keep asking questions, but where abouts in the neck? How did he cut his neck, just falling on something?

airedale

Visit site
another one I saw at a big dressage show was horse refusing to load into trailer and ran backwards into car behind - caught hind leg on car headlight and the wound severed artery and tendon in one back leg.

I think the worst thing about these sorts of accident is that the horse doesn't die doing something it enjoyed doing - it died because of something it hated doing or really didn't want to do. Makes it worse somehow.

Stasha22

Visit site
Its horrific isn't it? My friends mare died at Addington in a similar way, went backwards off a lorry. I think Weezy unfortunately witnessed the incident.

katelarge

Visit site
Jeeeezus that is horrible! At least there was no loss of human life, as GTs says. If he'd been ridden he might well have killed someone.

What a horrible, horrible way for a horse to go though, and I imagine the trauma for everyone who saw that must be unspeakable. RIP neddy.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Oh god that's scary.

Was loading a mare on Sat who kept rearing, thought she was going over, but luckily she didn't. Will be really worried about this happening.

She's getting better and has had a Natural Horsemanship trainer working with her and is loaded in Dually headcollar, but still has her "off" days.

fjudge

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its horrific isn't it? My friends mare died at Addington in a similar way, went backwards off a lorry. I think Weezy unfortunately witnessed the incident.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say about that one...a friend of ours was there that day.

It is such a terrible way for a horse to die, i would have nightmares if it was mine
frown.gif
Im so sorry for all those involved
frown.gif
xxx

seaofdreams

Visit site
ive seen it aswell at a show at our yard, it was a youngster and he just went up with excitement but then went over backwards, sadly he didn't go as quickly and the vet put him down
it was so sad

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
how horrid. The week after the addington accident I was lucky not to suffer the same fate with Fleur. She for whatever reason was no loading, me and Sarah were bring eternally patient but then people started trying to be helpful, and she went up and over. She luckily came away with only a graze at the top of her head. We called our YO in the end who came and we loaded her within about 5 mins (taking note both me and Sarah who aer experienced had spent 2 hours at that point trying to load).

It took a LOT of patience to get her to load in a lorry after that but we have regained her confidence but for her to load there must be two people minmum as well as two lunge lines (one to lead from the other round bum) otherwise she won't go in.

But heart was in mouth when she did go over all because these people were barging in (since I just say NO unless they do exactly what I ask) saying she just messing you and needs to be forced etc cue brush up bum and lunging whips *cringes at thought*.

Feel for the poor woman and could never wish such a fate on anyone or any horse.

Katie

Peanot

Visit site
How horrible. There must be a black cloud over the yard today. My friends horse died on Christmas morning last year. The YO found him in the stable. Died from heart attack they think. He was 31 tho, so he`d had a good easy life just hacking about the lanes twice a week for the last few years.
My thoughts go out to the owner of the horse.