Free horse b&b for exercising my horse

tomspride

Visit site
I'm putting the feelers out to see if you think my idea is viable

I have a 16.3 gelding kept on my own land in the Peak District, until recently he had a companion who is sadly no longer with us.

As I work away a lot I'm considering offering the use of my land and stables in return for keeping my boy fit. I have 9 acres split into 3 paddocks with mainly dry stone walls and it's all got electric fencing - no nasty barbed wire. There is a field shelter in the paddock nearest to the house and also 3 good size stables.

I would be looking for someone with 1 or 2 horses and they would have to provide excellent references

I look forward to your comments

Thank you

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
An interesting idea.

Things that spring to mind are insurance, possibly rates (I know little about rates), and what sort of references would you want? Also, when you say keep fit, how many days is he to be worked? At what level is he? What fitness level would you like to maintain? Do you have a school and if yes, does it have lights?

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Whereabouts are you in the Peak District? And as Mrs Mozart says, do you have a lit school? If not, getting him exercised 5-6 days a week might be tricky if the person who helps you out works 9-5.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I think 2 separate contacts would be easier. 1 for livery and use the money to find a rider. Easier than finding someone who is suitable to share and will ride.

L&M

Visit site
I don't think I could place that much trust in a stranger tbh - a friend maybe different. If you are away a lot you might find someone enjoying free livery without meeting their side of the bargain, and hard to monitor. Also you would need to be very careful over insurance if they are riding your horse.....you would need a watertight agreement.

If I was in your boat I would pay someone to exercise, then look for a pony/ponies to have on an informal livery basis to provide company.

claracanter

Visit site
It sounds like a good idea but I think finding someone with two horses who also wants to and has time to ride a third might be tricky. Vodkagirly's suggestion is a good one

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think you may find it easier to either get a sharer and/or pro rider to keep the horse fit and then get a seperate livery or two.

If someone already 1 or 2 horses, finding time for yours too will probably be difficult.