free horse!? what would you do!?

serena2005

Visit site
Quick up date...

i started riding this horse last year, who hadnt been ridden in years shes completely off the rails, but has been schooled very well so you can tell she wants to do really well for you but is unbalanced and gets excited which just makes things worse... anyway shes come on leaps and bounds... but still has a long way to go, a really long way.

i havent ridden her for a while due to having a baby and i got a phone call from the owner saying she wants to give her to me! which would tempt anyone surely!?

pros: i get a free horse, i love her to pieces! owner will have her back if it dont work out
cons: i cant actually afford her! i guessed if i hunted around for grass liverly i might be able to, but can you really keep a Hanoverian out all winter?
i have a friend that would loan her to help pay for rent etc, but if she changed her mind i would be stuck with a horse i cant afford
she is a handful and at the grand age of 15 she might be too long in the tooth to change??

my head says " you cant afford it forget about her" and my heart says "this is what youve been waiting for all your life! dont let her get away!"

what would you do?

Cheese

Visit site
I think that if you honestly in your heart know that you can't afford her you should walk away, harsh as that may sound. It's hard enough paying for livery, shoes, feed, shavings, supplements, insurance, but then when something unexpected pops up - tack needs replacing/refitting, vet bills etc you are going to be really stuck.

If your friend will do a share with you and take equal responsibility on an actual contract, then maybe?

becca1305

Visit site
panic and end up with no fingernails!. sorry not much help am I?! Im useless in the head over heart debate. I do think you would have to consider what you would do with her if your friend backed out or for whatever reason you could no longer afford her. How long is the owner prepared to take her back for? if she guarantees whenever and you trust her then as long as you make it clear to the owner you cannot promise you will always be able to keep her financially and she accepts that then go for it (providing you are SURE that with your friend you can afford her and cover any little mishaps vets fees, saddler fees etc on the way) :). If not you really need to think about what you could do, and be prepared to do for girlie if the worst should happen before proceeding.

If shes not the type that drops weight really easily (wouldnt think she would be) then technically she should be fine living out all winter well rugged (would you get adequate rugs with her?) but if you say shes a little temperamental and hasnt done it before then there is a small chance she wont take to it/lose weight etc and you would have to give her back to owner (ive never really heard of that happening though).

Good luck with making a decision :)

Agree with above poster contract with friend would be a good idea :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine costs about £150 on top of livery a month, obviously more if I have the vet/shoeing etc and I use more hay/bedding in the winter. If you can afford the running costs, fine. If not, walk away. :(

serena2005

Visit site
i totally agree with you, even the cheapest ones are an expensive hobby!
my friend will to go 50/50 with all costs, but the horse would be mine and she could walk away at any moment, which is why im hesitating about that.

finding someone else may prove difficult. no-one wants to loan a difficult horse do they?

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
If I really wanted a horse and on the surface it appeared I couldn't afford it, i'd list all my out goings as essential and non essential and then I'd see what I was willing to give up.

If I still couldn't, I'd look at how I can change things so I could ie. Work more hours.

serena2005

Visit site
If shes not the type that drops weight really easily (wouldnt think she would be) then technically she should be fine living out all winter well rugged (would you get adequate rugs with her?) but if you say shes a little temperamental and hasnt done it before then there is a small chance she wont take to it/lose weight etc and you would have to give her back to owner (ive never really heard of that happening though).

Good luck with making a decision :)

Agree with above poster contract with friend would be a good idea :)

me and the owner are friends! she loves the horse but freely admits she doesnt have the effort or the confidence to put in to bring out the best in her. she doesnt want her to be sold and not know where she is, so giving her to me on the basis that if i ever want to sell/cant afford she wants her back.
apperently shes lived out before 24/7 she doesnt seem to drop weight very easily as far as iv noticed. rugs tack etc all come with her. i had the saddle checked/reflocked last year.

totally agree with contract and friend!

millimoo

Visit site
Personally id walk away... All it takes is a large vet bill and you could be seriously derailed financially.
The cost of everything is on the up, and it's only going to get worse.
I personally couldn't leave a warmblood out all winter but others do, however you'll need admin hay, rugs etc.
Can't you come to an arrangement with the owner to contribute towards her keep. It's all well and good her offering to take her back anytime, but at the end of the day she has no obligation to do so. And at 15yrs not many are going to take on a horse with issues, coming into winter.
Genuine best wishes whatever you decide :)

serena2005

Visit site
If I really wanted a horse and on the surface it appeared I couldn't afford it, i'd list all my out goings as essential and non essential and then I'd see what I was willing to give up.

If I still couldn't, I'd look at how I can change things so I could ie. Work more hours.

i could give up the weekly food shop and let the kids starve! lol

im quite considering selling my car! insurance, petrol ect all add up to the amount i need to keep her on a monthly basis!

serena2005

Visit site
Personally id walk away... All it takes is a large vet bill and you could be seriously derailed financially.
The cost of everything is on the up, and it's only going to get worse.
I personally couldn't leave a warmblood out all winter but others do, however you'll need admin hay, rugs etc.
Can't you come to an arrangement with the owner to contribute towards her keep. It's all well and good her offering to take her back anytime, but at the end of the day she has no obligation to do so. And at 15yrs not many are going to take on a horse with issues, coming into winter.
Genuine best wishes whatever you decide :)

all very true

thankyou

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I don't want to preach, but the reason rescue centres and animal charities are overrun with unwanted animals (not just horses) is that the financial responsibility of keeping an animal is not considered fully before they are taken on. Owning any animal, from a hamster to a horse, should be considered a luxury. Good luck with making the best decision for this horse.

Bertolie

Visit site
My daughters warmblood lived out last winter. He was unclipped and not rugged and came out of winter in the words of the vet 'looking well'! Just wanted to say that if this horse doesn't drop weight then its perfectly do-able. Sorry, not much help!

mulledwhine

Visit site
If you are saying to your self you can't afford then listen to your head, more heart break will come if you take it on and then find yourself having to sell :(

Personally I have no problem with horses living out , that is how they were made!!, my old tb was pampered and preemed, and lived out till he died last year aged 34, so living out could be an option for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide x

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
Can't quote as on a phone, but in response to serena2005 re my previous post.

Its amazing what can be given up when you really want something.
I found myself struggling big time money wise so made loads of changes.
I quit smoking, I stopped eating out, gave myself a fixed weekly shopping budget, I don't go out, xmas do maybe lol, and I don't remember what new clothes are.
But, my daughter goes without nothing and has her pony, I also have mine and I'm happy to give up all that I do to keep Tigerlily.

But yes, not eating is not an option :D

TJP

Visit site
Financially I think only you can decide, but with proper care, shelter and feeding living out should not be a problem. 'General running costs' will include farrier, worming, jags, hard feed, haylage/hay, rugs, dentist, livery & vets bills. Good luck x

jeeve

Visit site
Really do not see how you can lose on this one, you have a friend that will share, sure her circumstances may changer - if they do, then you can manage , return to owner or find another sharer. I am not sure how cold it gets in uk - but i did post and ask once, and was surprised that the temps were a lot milder than I had expected. Most horses can live out - if they have shelter and /or rugs, without an issue at all.

All mine live out, they have no shelter and I only rug them when it is very wet or cold for a sustained period, but we had a mild winter this year. Even our 28 year old spent it unrugged.

If it is wet or cold andthey are unrugged they get a bit extra feed.

I would go for it, but put a contingency plan in place, save a little extra cash, look at options for other sharers, so if all goes wrong you have a plan. Let the owner know that you would rather give her back than see her not looked after and I am sure she will be happy for you to give it a go.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
What a dilemma. It's a difficult one but all I can offer is, it's not the buying of the animal that's the expensive bit! Even with insurance etc (and that in itself is expensive) you'll need some put by for emergencies, and you never know what's round the corner.

That said, if you can make savings elsewhere and you think you can make it work ...

rockysmum

Visit site
Why not agree to a 3 month loan with the option to buy her for £1 at the end of it. Put it in writing.

That way you know you have a guaranteed out if you cant manage.

It also gives you and your friend 3 months to see if it works, if you get through Dec, Jan & Feb, which have to be the worst months then you will probably be OK.

Owner should agree as at worst she doesn't have to manage the worst of winter with her.

Good luck whatever you decide.

serena2005

Visit site
Thanks everyone. All very nice and constructive comments. It's given me a lot to think about.

Friend is currently checking out grass livery so we can work out roughly how much she will cost us a month. As well as an extra for any misshaps that May happen.
I'm not going into this lightly if I have her it will be forever .

SusieT

Visit site
If youc an't afford it you can't afford it I'm afraid. Plus if you haven't ridden recently that would suggest you might not ride in the near future either? Save up before getting a horse.
What if she gets ill, needs vet attention? Special shoes? Extra training?

serena2005

Visit site
I said I hadn't ridden her recently. Iv been training on race horses for the last 3 months. And 2 months before that I just had a baby. Iv only ever stopped riding for the sake on my unborn child