Free to good home, a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie76

Visit site
I am prob going to get shot down in flames here but if I was the person who had bought the horse I would nec want my contact details passed on to the previous owner. By all means get the previous owner to give the contact details to his new owner but not the other way round.
Also, the horse I was given is 100 percent safe to ride, hack, handle, jumps a course of fences, is snaffle mouthed and is working at medium dressage, he has just got his first points BD and I let anyone ride him so they are out there, in my horses case the owner simple was ill and had no time for him.

Lady La La

Visit site
You've sent it to Potters, haven't you...

not really, she shouldnt have dont the dirty on me and lumbered me with a dangerous horse to ride in first place although she is still claiming that the horse was not dangerous, although the whole of my livery yard can vouch for the fact that he clearly was..the last I heard he had gone to slaughter

Lady La La

Visit site
I'm begining to think there are no 'new' owners. I think you offered to give this horse a free home, and either couldn't cope with it (lets face it, you don't come across as the most experienced horse woman in the world) or wanted to make a few quid...and sold it for meat money.

I could of course be totally wrong, and I hope that I am...

charlie76

Visit site
I still can't see what the public row on here is about. The horses owner no longer wanted him, she sold him/gave him to Teds Mum, either way, she was happy with her decision.
I do not agree with the way Teds Mum is putting her point across but surely, not many people on here, obtain the permission from the person that they bought their horse off of before putting it to sleep/selling it on?
Unless I am mistaken- did the horses previous owner state to Teds mum that the horse was not to be sold on or ask for first refusal on the horse should Teds mum no longer want it. Maybe Teds Mum is dodgy and takes on lame/dodgy horses to sell on, I don't know and neither does anyone on here.
If the horse has been PTS then thats prob the best outcome as he is no longer being passed from pillar to post. If not then, at the end of the day, its between the buyer and the seller to sort out, not for us to play judge and jury.
At the yard I run, we are often offered horses for next to nothing , we always get in writing that should we no longer want the horse we give the original owner first refusal- without this, I'm afraid there is no leg to stand on.
I am sure everyone feels they are trying to help, in reality the situation is being stirred up into a war that no one will win.

Aru

Visit site
I still can't see what the public row on here is about. The horses owner no longer wanted him, she sold him/gave him to Teds Mum, either way, she was happy with her decision.
I do not agree with the way Teds Mum is putting her point across but surely, not many people on here, obtain the permission from the person that they bought their horse off of before putting it to sleep/selling it on?
Unless I am mistaken- did the horses previous owner state to Teds mum that the horse was not to be sold on or ask for first refusal on the horse should Teds mum no longer want it. Maybe Teds Mum is dodgy and takes on lame/dodgy horses to sell on, I don't know and neither does anyone on here.
If the horse has been PTS then thats prob the best outcome as he is no longer being passed from pillar to post. If not then, at the end of the day, its between the buyer and the seller to sort out, not for us to play judge and jury.

Agree completely with this.

Ted's mum

Visit site
I'm begining to think there are no 'new' owners. I think you offered to give this horse a free home, and either couldn't cope with it (lets face it, you don't come across as the most experienced horse woman in the world) or wanted to make a few quid...and sold it for meat money.

I could of course be totally wrong, and I hope that I am...

how would you know how experienced I am probably more so than yourself there..lol!! ;)

it was dangerous even the most experienced of people wouldn't have stayed on it's back.
a free home..NO - unless you are too dull to realise that I bought the horse.

pastie2

Visit site
how would you know how experienced I am probably more so than yourself there..lol!! ;)

it was dangerous even the most experienced of people wouldn't have stayed on it's back.
a free home..NO - unless you are too dull to realise that I bought the horse.

I that you in your siggy, sitting, and I mean sitting, on the chestnut?

TheEquineOak

Visit site
At the yard I run, we are often offered horses for next to nothing , we always get in writing that should we no longer want the horse we give the original owner first refusal- without this, I'm afraid there is no leg to stand on.
I am sure everyone feels they are trying to help, in reality the situation is being stirred up into a war that no one will win.

^
This

Horse sold by x to y and then given to z

x has nothing more to do with the situation, as unfortunate as it is

Also, you can not 'give' the old owner any contact details of the new owner - data protection laws. The new owner has to agree to it

What a sad sorry affair this is :(

dooble

Visit site
Charlie76, I don't think the 'public row' is about Ted's Mum's business dealings, it's about the duplicitous manner in which she conducts them...

charlie76

Visit site
sorry, but again, there is nothing anyone can so about it. Unless there is a written contract between parties then there is nothing, whether anyone agrees with it or not, that anyone can do about it.
The new buyers contact details cannot be passed on to the original owner ( If I was in the same situation I would not be happy if my details were passed on without permission).
Of course, everyone wants to join in the row as its a horse that was obtained via the forum but it happens everyday, people buying horses they state they will give a home for life for, find they are overhorsed and have sell them on.
In this case its not a case of buyer beware, its seller beware.

Ted's mum

Visit site
sorry, but again, there is nothing anyone can so about it. Unless there is a written contract between parties then there is nothing, whether anyone agrees with it or not, that anyone can do about it.
The new buyers contact details cannot be passed on to the original owner ( If I was in the same situation I would not be happy if my details were passed on without permission).
Of course, everyone wants to join in the row as its a horse that was obtained via the forum but it happens everyday, people buying horses they state they will give a home for life for, find they are overhorsed and have sell them on.
In this case its not a case of buyer beware, its seller beware.

I tottally agree with this charlie..you are very sensible.x

Tankey

Visit site
Teds mum, why do you have to keep bumping this thread :confused:
If there have been no replies for around half an hour, you suddenly reply to bring it back to the top :rolleyes:

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
I think the suggestion is Charlie76, not that she is parting with horses which she is legally entitled to do, but rather that she suggests to owners that it will be a home for life. Then within weeks, they're gone, and owners are suspecting that she takes horses on with a view to selling them on for meat, or whatever she can get for them.

And it isn't just one or two horses is it Tedsmum? How many have you done this with?

Ted's mum

Visit site
I think the suggestion is Charlie76, not that she is parting with horses which she is legally entitled to do, but rather that she suggests to owners that it will be a home for life. Then within weeks, they're gone, and owners are suspecting that she takes horses on with a view to selling them on for meat, or whatever she can get for them.

And it isn't just one or two horses is it Tedsmum? How many have you done this with?

I beg your pardon?

jaypeebee

Visit site
Selling a horse to a dealer provides anonymity (sp) for the previous owner and the future owner of the horse. For people wanting to keep contact with horse more chance if you sell privately. Once you sell a horse you have no control over its future. If you want control over its future dont sell it.

spaniel

Visit site
I have no doubt the reason TM cant give contact details for this horses 'new owner' is because she put it through the sale ring and hasnt a clue where it is.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Do you know what teds mum, iv changed my mind. Once the horse is yours, it's yours. Once the old owner sells or gives away their horse END OFF. How many people lie to sell a horse? Loads. If you lie to buy or get given a horse that's bad but maybe the owners should off been more careful!!!!

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Just to set the record straight and warning VERY LONG>>>>>>>>>

Loanee only wanted a light hack but mainly a companion for her horse that was lame. She was made fully aware of everything 1/10th lame etc - shoulder injury was the most possible explanation - so straight lines it was.
THIS HORSE WAS NOT DANGEROUS, competed fun ride with Sport Endurance, SJed 6 times including a country fair 6 double clears and placed 3 times, been around Somerford Park X country etc

I DO NOT DISPUTE that as was sold for a nominal amount and I am the stupid one for believing the sob story how she didn't want to fall in love then horse taken away from her, she felt uneasy that after a rest I would come and collect him. 'Home for Life' I believe she said..............and perfect.

What I am ANGRY at is that she knowling sold a horse that has a medical assesment of 1/10th lame(NOT THRUSH) as per the email below and gave me NO option of collecting him or at least keep me updated - especially has he was given away!!!!

This whole thing was pre meditated and people like this need to be identified and exposed, its a shame phone calls weren't recorded.

Anyway this is some of the email correspondace:

He is unlevel in front but vet has prescribed no form of pain relief bute etc.........farrier has rebalanced his front feet and medical certificate states 1/10th lame off fore

Last year he competed lightly with me and hacked out - was not lame at all, even did some 10mile fun rides

Pre last summer he was intermitent lame but again no pain relief diagnosed because he was ok just hacking, issue is when you start to do lots of schooling.

I will be ensuring XXXXXXX ( Chiropractor ) see's him before I bring him down and XXXX does some thermal imagining to see if anything shows up.

I decided a couple of months ago that despite his breeding I have too many horses and I would let him have an easy life, if he was to come fully sound then thats your bonus.

If Windsor is in a position that bute / medication is required in the future I will pay for this.

He has his rugs and bridle, sorry no saddle..............

As discuissed I am happy to deliver, just want some help in diesel money

Forgot to say

snaffle mouth, no vices, never been clipped, will live out 24/7 or stable, walks about whilst mounting 'sometimes', oh and spoilt!!

loves x-country jumps, crosses water etc in regards to SJing he was competed 6 times - all double clears ( 2'6 2'9 ) and placed 3 times

I have hacked out twice alone but nearly always in company and he will lead or stay behind, he may spin round if given the chance but genarally firm voice does the job, never need to use the whip although I do wear spurs as he can be a little lazy!!

I hope he is what you are looking for...........

Shod every 6/ 7 weeks.......I have never had him insured and he has never been insured in the UK

stable or field not an issue..........but does like to be able to see some company.

Vet prescibed an easy 3 weeks to ensure he adjusts to his new balanced feet!! then reassesment - although as I have said he can become very stiff/ tight through his shoulder / neck

He has never had a 'pulse' in his feet, swollen legs etc so XXXXX from the Chiropractor @ 'XXXXXXX' in XXXXX was sure issue was muscular.

Hand on heart there may be other issues but as I decided that he would have a lovely home light hacking and as a companion rather than a competetion life stuffed full of drugs!!
will ensure there is full permission on my account to discuiss Windsor's treatment, also my farrier is XXXXXX from XXXXXXX so I will ensure you have his contact details for your farrier.

Just to add although he has had back shoes on, TBH his feet behind are ace and never chip / crack so have not really bothered!! - its his fronts that need extra heel support and regular shoeing

So do I sound as if I was hiding anything, no I was just stupid!!!

Cazza525

Visit site
Do you know what teds mum, iv changed my mind. Once the horse is yours, it's yours. Once the old owner sells or gives away their horse END OFF. How many people lie to sell a horse? Loads. If you lie to buy or get given a horse that's bad but maybe the owners should off been more careful!!!!

Here, here!!

And another thing......if you're really that bothered about your 'unsound' horse's future, you should have kept hold of him, or dealt with the lameness issue yourself, loaning as a companion is an option for the unsound or PTS.

I looked after an ailing horse myself for months which resulted in a harrowing experience and then he was shot......perhaps if the person hadn't got rid of him in the beginning after the initial back injury, then he wouldn't have been passed around so much.

I feel very strongly on this!!

the_sophies

Visit site
I have to admit I had a hard time believing that this horse was 'dangerous'. More than likely Ted's Mum put someone totally unsuitable on it then sent it away after an isolated incident. Who knows, maybe this 'friend' was a potential buyer? If I was the original owner I would be LIVID! Especially since she reckons she has no idea where the horse is now!

No, Ted's Mum did not legally need to inform the old owner when this horse was passed on. However, in a situation like this, it is plain courtesy and good manners to do so, not to mention the fact that she told her the horse would have a home for life. Something tells me 'Ted's Mum' is not going to be in the horse trading business for long with a reputation like she has. I am sickened that she was angling for someone to give her an aged, neglected mare in a another thread. No doubt that would have one chance then canned if she didn't make Ted's Mum some money.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Here, here!!

And another thing......if you're really that bothered about your 'unsound' horse's future, you should have kept hold of him, or dealt with the lameness issue yourself, loaning as a companion is an option for the unsound or PTS.

I looked after an ailing horse myself for months which resulted in a harrowing experience and then he was shot......perhaps if the person hadn't got rid of him in the beginning after the initial back injury, then he wouldn't have been passed around so much.

I feel very strongly on this!!

There is a space for horses that are only for light hacking...........otherwise I would have buted him up and sold him at the sales or to another unsuspecting buyer - no i didn't because I care and I though I had found the right home.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I have to admit I had a hard time believing that this horse was 'dangerous'. More than likely Ted's Mum put someone totally unsuitable on it then sent it away after an isolated incident. Who knows, maybe this 'friend' was a potential buyer? If I was the original owner I would be LIVID! Especially since she reckons she has no idea where the horse is now!

No, Ted's Mum did not legally need to inform the old owner when this horse was passed on. However, in a situation like this, it is plain courtesy and good manners to do so, not to mention the fact that she told her the horse would have a home for life. Something tells me 'Ted's Mum' is not going to be in the horse trading business for long with a reputation like she has. I am sickened that she was angling for someone to give her an aged, neglected mare in a another thread. No doubt that would have one chance then canned if she didn't make Ted's Mum some money.

Just to add she is always after a free horse.....see her posts!!!

Cazza525

Visit site
There is a space for horses that are only for light hacking...........otherwise I would have buted him up and sold him at the sales or to another unsuspecting buyer - no i didn't because I care and I though I had found the right home.

The right home for £80? I spend more than that on shoes.....!

Why on earth didn't you just loan him out to someone as a hack?

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Sorry.............just to clarify the op advising the words 'dishonest seller', I was never a seller OP wanted to buy........
More words of wisdom from the OP

Had photos he looks fantastic...Just what I am looking for...he is very much like my boy actually!! will attach some photos of XXX, all sounds great...so will he be on loan or could I buy him for a small token fee? Think you have covered everything in that email...he sounds fab! no worries about saddle...I have teds, should fit or else I will buy him another and get him fitted
will give you a call later!

Thats great, ahh bless him he is soo sweet ! yes him and XXX are similar...xx Pounds is absolutely fine.
do you know what size saddle roughly that fits him?
Can't wait til sunday now!! I will meet you in Usk and you can follow me to the field.
does he mind being in a stable then? is he quite chilled out?
What I was thinking was to get him insured and if he needs a vet - we can start from scratch..and can claim on insurance for whatever he needs. how often is he shod?
am so happy I have found a lovely horse...he will be spoilt rotten!!

No further comments..........

Status
Not open for further replies.