Free to good home... at 28 years old.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I know that ads like this have been highlighted before... but it really doesn't seem quite right to me.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110710634/free-to-good-home.html

Breed: welsh c x arab
Sex: Mare
Passported: Yes
Size: 14 hh
Current Age: 28 years

I am offering my mare free to good home under the conditions she has a home for life, shes only got to go due me not having the time for her that she deserves. She has been shown for the past 6/7 years so now looking for a quieter life hacking. Goldie is my absolute prode & joy so will only go to the best of homes where she will be looked after and not be passed on & somewhere i can keep in contact with. She has a little bit of arthuritus in her back legs but nothing that affects her. For anymore info and picture please message me.

I hope that it works out OK for the pony.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I don't really know how people like that sleep at night. I didn't have a horse I could properly ride for around 7-8 years because my old girl was living out her life in full livery and I couldn't afford a second one (I lost her when she was 35). Obviously we don't know the exact circumstances, but even so..... :(

Queenbee

Visit site
Don't you know, everyone sells their 'pride and joy' when they get to old and crooked, and they seem to lack the time for it when they can't use it and all it can do is live a less energetic life... Which would take less 'time' to look after.

:(

WindyStacks

Visit site
Translation = "has painful debilitating arthritis and I can't face up to what needs to be done - can't she spend the next few years frolicking in flowery meadows eating cotton candy and dancing in sequins"?

PolarSkye

Visit site
Translation = "has painful debilitating arthritis and I can't face up to what needs to be done - can't she spend the next few years frolicking in flowery meadows eating cotton candy and dancing in sequins"?

Sad but probably true. Hope the little pony finds a new, loving, responsible owner.

P

cobden

Visit site
I don't understand these people. Who is going to take a pony on to retire ? Unless you're a charity. It upsets me to think of that poor pony being disrupted by a move or passed from pillar to post after years of service.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thing is she looks like a lovely pony, and providing arthritis isn't bad she could be a great little quiet pony for someone to love and cherish. It's difficult, but if I could no longer keep a horse I would try everything I could to re home them rather than pts. Admittedly I'd do it through word of mouth rather than preloved but that's just what I would do.

touchstone

Visit site
At 28 there is no way I'd risk passing on to goodness knows what fate to a stanger. If they don't have the time now that a pony has aged and probably become unrideable I hope that they don't go out and buy another rideable model. I really wish people would do the decent thing for these poor old horses.

Clare85

Visit site
A very sad situation that is not uncommon. There are genuine homes out there for ponies such as this but they're so few and far between and it's so risky to let them out of your care.

We took on an elderly pony as a companion once. I've no idea of her exact age but I reckon into her early 30s when we picked her up. She was the sweetest little thing and lived out the rest of her days (about 4 or 5 years) with us being loved and cared for.

I hope this pony finds a loving home. I couldn't part with a horse of this age :(

Capriole

Visit site
These make me really sad. I wonder how bad the 'little bit' of arthritis is, hopeful it really is just a touch.
I've no problem with older *healthy* animals going on to new homes, in certain circumstances, I remember aged ponies at my old riding club appearing each year or two wearing a new child-in-training. But old and broken animals being advertised like this upsets me.
What really boils my p!ss is people asking for a forever home, where they will never be passed on, yadda yadda. If you want a forever home for your horse, blinking provide it with one yourself. :rolleyes3:

Emilieu

Visit site
What really boils my p!ss is people asking for a forever home, where they will never be passed on, yadda yadda. If you want a forever home for your horse, blinking provide it with one yourself. :rolleyes3:

This. Although, in fairness, anyone I have known in real life who has done this sort of thing has been genuine and caring... but so so shortsighted. One person was worried she'd be judged when the horse was finally PTS but i, for one, breathed a sigh of relief for the old guy.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
It's a tricky one as my first thought is that the owners are heartless. However that said, if owner has had a change in personal circumstances & can no longer manage & the horse is reasonably good health is it fair to PTS because it's 'old'? I do agree that word of mouth is probably a more favourable way to advertiser but not everyone has a network of contacts.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
It could end well. I had a lady in the shop looking for an elderly companion for her old horse the other month, her old TB had been pts leaving her other old horse (he was about 25 I think) on his own. She got one from facebook and it's really landed on its hooves as her horses are spoiled rotten. Just wish she was the majority not the minority :/

Skib

sites.google.com
I hate these ads too. A better solution is to find a sharer for an old horse. I was the lucky and blissfully happy sharer of an elderly mare - I was old myself and convalescent, so mare and I gave each other TLC with some fresh air and exercise. But the horse's retirement, vet bills and end of life remained the responsibility of the owner.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Not something that I could do, part with such an old horse. However, I could see me in years to come taking on such a pony if I had an older horse that would otherwise be alone. Really hope the pony finds a nice person to care for her.

madlady

Visit site
I just think ads like this are totally irresponsible. Really hope someone takes her on as her current owner doesn't deserve her.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Yup poor poor horse ,
These people degree of delusion is worrying .

SadKen

Visit site
Doesn't sit well with me either. If she was mine, I'd give her the summer and then PTS if I could no longer care for her (as long as the arthritis wasn't making her uncomfortable). I'd do that at retirement livery if I genuinely did not have the time. Just wish I had lots of cash, as I'd merrily take on these older horses and do the above if their owners could not.

As others have said, there seems to be plenty of time when the horse is sound and can do what the owner wants...

noodle_

Visit site
i have a free stable and id take her if i could afford to keep her for summer and pts end of it....i would take her as im actually down the road.

however ive also seen another 30 year old also free to a good home...........

afraid i cant take them all in so i will step away :[

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
the only thing I do wonder given her height is whether she has a teenage owner who relies on her parents money to keep the pony so perhaps not entirely their decision?

horsefeed

Visit site
I have a 37 year old who is still ridden on long and often fast hacks, he has some arthritis but managed with exercise and supplements. (He was ridden last night for 1st time in week and pulled like a train, got over excited and started bucking!) While I would never sell/gibe him away if a situation arose where I couldn't keep him I would most definitely try and loan him out as he still has so much to give.
This pony could live another 10/15 years at least! and continue to work and teach many children to ride and enjoy horses if closer I would snap her up and then find her a loan home where I could keep an eye.
Wishing pony all luck in the world.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Dunno, I've got a circa 14h pony and it's a long time since I relied on my parents.

It was just that looking at the photo I wondered if it was a poss - and I can then understand not really wanting to PTS a healthy oldie (does look very well and smart and could well be a bit but not being in a position to keep them yourself.
It isn't something I would do but am in a position for either option not to be a problem. I'd prefer if it said loan but if they can't have it back then that wouldn't necessarily help and I also think such a person might have a be a bit naive too.

Capriole

Visit site
It's a shame. I realise not everyone can or wants to keep a horse till the day it dies, and situations change.
I'd actually rather have a horse moved on to a good home than left to fester with someone who doesn't want to care for the horse and practically abandons it, with none of it's needs met, it's taking that chance your oldie ends up in that GOOD home.
And as I said, I've seen many an old pony passed on to a new family, often never needing to be advertised, more of a waiting list situation.
It's the whole 'I don't want to give this horse a forever home but I expect the next owner to' malarky that winds me up.

misskk88

Visit site
I get what you are saying, poor pony becomes no use, but owner has no time anymore conveniently.

My mare is currently going out on loan or I am finding a sharer in order to get my finances in order after a house purchase so that I can avoid this exact scenario! I want her with me until her last days, but I do not see the point of trying to shove her from one home to the next when she is too old, tired or sore to do anything. I would rather someone enjoy her now for a short time, while she is in her prime, knowing that she can retire happily, should things happen that way!

Not everyone is like this though. I seek comfort that there are people out there who look after their horse till their last days. Someone at my yard had hers until she was mid 30's and that could not do a thing for many years except eat, sleep, be turned out and walked in hand!

PolarSkye

Visit site

Exactly. And if you can't afford to keep said oldy and provide appropriate medication and management for the ills that come with old age, do the decent thing and have it PTS.

P