FREE

Tinypony

Visit site
It might be worth trying an ad in local tack rooms and feed rooms.
However, asking someone to transport you all to and fro every day might be a bit much to ask.
Good luck anyway.

silverdollar

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies i really cant afford full livery and thought maybe part would be okay but havent found anywhere thats not to far. We found a diy and looked at it and thought it would be ideal bit unfortunately because we dont drive and would be bus/walking and also my daughter is new to looking after horses the lady who owned the livery wouldnt allow us to rent from her :mad: her words were no transport and someone new to looking after her own pony not good combination. We all ahve to learn and she has picked up a lot of good tips information already

TheMule

Visit site
To be honest, you really do need to be able to get to the pony whenever you want- if it needs the vet/ something doing in an emergency, you need to get there without relying on others

TequilaMist

Visit site
No offense but must admit if its a totally diy yard agree with YO as other liveries may not be willing or able to help a total new to horse care owner and YO don't offer care for free..A yard with staff would be a better option imo if don't know how to look after a horse.
Our yard has a similiar prob at moment but with adult.Its a totally diy yard, person doesn't know even basic horse care and is reliant upon other liveries to teach them.TBH most of us do as don't want to see horse suffer but tbh you hear the grumbles and they do get p'd off
If you got someone to give you a lift to and from yard would you manage to get to yard if they were say ill or car broke down and couldn't take you?Just think got to think ahead and not leave it to chance.

Last edited:

Tinypony

Visit site
To be honest, the lady is right. Do you actually have the pony yet? If so, what arrangements do you have for keeping it at the moment?

pastie2

Visit site
I am supprised that in this day and age that you both dont drive, I think it is an imposition to ask someone else to take you back and forth to your pony, unless you were going to pay taxi rates. Sorry if your lack of a driving licence is due to an illness.

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Unfortunetly I don't think you would find anyone willing to drive you to and from the stables.

You could still however advertise for a sharer that can teach you and your daughter on the yard.

I worked for free on a yard for 2 years before I even considered loaning/buying. There's so much you need to learn and I can say now, I don't even know a fifth of it all still!!

My horses are kept on a private yard next door but I still pay for full livery. If something goes wrong I need to know my animals are safe and sound.

Good luck

Doris68

Visit site
Sorry, but I'm not sure if you already have a pony? If you haven't one yet, then I would seriously consider whether you have the knowledge and experience to care for it.
If you can't drive, then I agree with the other posts in that, you need to be able to get to your pony at any time of the day or night.

Maybe you and your daughter could attend some stable management courses somewhere before you "go it alone". Please think long and hard before you venture into the realms of being a horse/pony owner.

Good luck.

Sparkles

Visit site
I in all honesty would suggest NOT getting one until you have the experience and means to see it everyday. Based on posts.

sykokat

Visit site
Don't mean to sound rude but are you for real? You want someone to do the running around by their own transport so you and your daughter can get to the pony??? I think you have rushed into owning a horse TBH. What are you going to do when the weather turns, which it will at some point or if said person can't/doesn't make it. Sorry but being practical.

jaypeebee

Visit site
I wrote a reply but lost it. You arent in a position to take on the responsibility of a pony. Take your daughter to riding lessons once a week instead.