Freedom of Access

sarahann1

Visit site
I’ve recently moved my horse to a place which in theory has really good hacking, but I’m finding there are a significant number of areas we’re “not allowed” by the farmers to go along.

These are not cropped fields, but tracks, lanes or field margins.

Not sure what I’m looking for advice wise, but it’s *so* frustrating!! ?

Jnhuk

Visit site
I believe the enivironmental set-aside cannot be ridden on otherwise the farm loses the payment. This is based on from when I was on livery on a big farm and there was lots of inviting perimeters that we couldn't ride of for fear of loss of this money to the farm.

This will explain your field margins but not your lanes or tracks

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I was “duped” onto a yard a few years ago by saying look at the hacking round the fields only to find it was environmentally protected and it was only on road hacking.

suebou

Visit site
If you’re in Scotland, you have the right to responsible access. Unless tracks and lanes ONLYlead to livestock areas, like pheasant pens, you have the right to use them. Contact your local council access officer for info. Not necessarily field margins but tracks should be ok.
Double edged sword for farmers/landowners tbf, we have seen hoards of people all over the place since lockdown......not always behaving well!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have found the Scottish access laws to be questionable in theor usefulness in farming areas. They are great in open wilder places and where there are massive estates and near the bigger cities where there are many paths and tracks etc. But in farming areas they don't work brilliantly for anyone. A network of RoW would be better as then farmers know where to expect people to be and people know where they're allowed to be...