Freejump stirups- do you still trust them?

Cragrat

Visit site
I bought a pair of Freejump stirrups a couple of years ago, and loved them so much I gave them to my son to compete in, as I felt they were safer and more secure than his existing stirrups. This Christmas I was given another pair of my own:)
But these two recent reports of breakages have really got me worried. I know nothing is infallible, but I paid, and my OH paid, a lot of money for these as safety devices. It's a lot of money to throw away, and I'm not sure I can trust them to do the job they were meant to.
Does anyone know if there is any sort of safety recall? There is nothing on their website.

sarahann1

Visit site
I bought a pair of Freejump stirrups a couple of years ago, and loved them so much I gave them to my son to compete in, as I felt they were safer and more secure than his existing stirrups. This Christmas I was given another pair of my own:)
But these two recent reports of breakages have really got me worried. I know nothing is infallible, but I paid, and my OH paid, a lot of money for these as safety devices. It's a lot of money to throw away, and I'm not sure I can trust them to do the job they were meant to.
Does anyone know if there is any sort of safety recall? There is nothing on their website.

While I've personally never seen the attraction of them, I wonder how many other stirrups fail that we never hear about because the brand isn't as well known?

On the other hand, how many more of these have failed for ordinary folk that we've never heard about? I remember a story that did the rounds on fb a while back of a young lass who had issues with hers, I think she got dragged possibly?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would contact the company. I do remember seeing a company comment on the showjumper, saying that it was a Mk1 version, and that he would have jumped many fences, more than the average customer. I don't recollect the details surrounding second high profile ones to break.

I do think there will have been more non high profile breakages. For example, I bought a very expensive Nule Schule or whatever they are called, bit. It was billed as very kind, and I bought it for OHs horse, who had a big 'ol Irish tongue and would lob it out to the side if the bit was wide or uncomfortable. It had a ball and socket type joint in the middle, not that I knew how the joint worked when I bought it, as it was small and smooth.

A less experienced friend was riding said fit hunter out and having a trot homeward when he took a tug to slow said fit hunter, and the bit broke clean in half! The poor man had to leap off at a fast trot, and he was lucky not to have a more serious accident as we were on a bridleway. When we contacted the company they said they were surprised blah blah blah, and gave me my money back and bought me some new reins as the incident had upset the horse and we had to use new Stuuben reins as a bit to lead him home.

It was later on Googling that I found that my bit was certainly not the only one! But, no-one high profile, so no fuss. I did ask later at my tack shop if there had been any recalls, but they said not. The bit was only used on one horse, and was a few months old. Later still they withdrew that model, but I shudder to think of other people out and about in a bit that could break apart with no warning, as mine certainly looked pristine on the outside.

Contacting the company direct could reassure you if it is only Mk1 stirrups that are breaking, and yours are Mk2 for instance. Or, if yours are Mk1, I would take them out of use. Life is too short and you will always have the worry, especially when jumping. I doubt you will get a refund if yours are working to specs, but it is a worry as I understand the fault is not detectable (micro cracks?) until they fail.

rachk89

Visit site
I dont really as I knew someone who bought some, brand new obviously and they broke on day 1. So nah not willing to put my faith into something that costs that much.

Cragrat

Visit site
Sarahann1- that's exactly what was thinking- we wouldn't have heard if they hadn't been high profile riders.
Dragging can happen with any stirrup, and is hopefully less likely with these- and Isn't as big a worry as the braking on landing after a big jump.

Red-1- good advice, thank you. I think the SJers pair were older, the eventers pair less than 3 years old. As you say, they blame invisible micro-cracks.

A broken bit must have been scary for the rider and potentially harmful for horse and rider:(

Evie91

Visit site
I have them, think they are great and not too worried.
The cases I've read about the stirrups have had heavy use (riding several horses a day, every day in hard work), lots of equipment wears out or needs repairing after heavy, constant use.
If you think of how popular the stirrups are, how many pairs are bought and used, it doesn't seem to be a high percentage that fail. Obviously I wouldn't want to ride and have any kind of equipment failure but it does happen. Personally I still think the safety element outweighs any worries.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A broken bit must have been scary for the rider and potentially harmful for horse and rider:(

It was unbelievably so. It was when the company were making bits like the Myler mouthpieces. They seem to have reverted to a proper chain link type construction now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had a stainless steel iron snap with metal fatigue at the shoulders.

To sound your metal irons for safety, hold them up by the leather and ring them with a teaspoon. You will hear a dulling in the tone if they are becoming unsafe.

I never trusted the Freejump ones. Stress fractures waiting to happen imo.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've never seen the attraction of them and they are astronomically over priced for something that is a bit of plastic. As for invisible micro cracks that is pretty worrying, if you can't see the cracks how can you know if they are safe or not. I think people should be pushing the company to offer a checking service.

Embo

Visit site
Mine don't see too much use so I'm not overly concerned. Any bit of kit can fail at any time.

I had a stirrup leather break not too long ago, the little metal billet just sheared off. Luckily it happened before getting whilst adjusting so no harm done. These were Jeffries leathers, not too old and well looked after.

Also, wasn't it Sam Griffiths whose Tech Stirrups (?) broke whilst competing at Badminton?

I think FW's idea of a checking service would be good to put people's minds at ease.

mynutmeg

Visit site
As you say, they blame invisible micro-cracks.

You can test for those before they leave the factory. Each item of climbing metal equipement undergoes testing to ensure it doesnt have these microcracks because they do cause equipement to fail. Maybe wouldn't expect that in a cheap pair of stirrups but in such expensive ones with more stress through one area I certainly would expect it. A karabiner can cost maybe £5 or £6 and will have been tested

Merlod

Visit site
I would never buy a pair, even before the high profile breakages. I was always told that traditional peacock irons are only suitable for children or lightweight adults (9st or under) so then for freejump to create basically the same thing but in plastic just doesn’t seem safe at all to me. Plus they are fugly!

sarahann1

Visit site
Sarahann1- that's exactly what was thinking- we wouldn't have heard if they hadn't been high profile riders.
Dragging can happen with any stirrup, and is hopefully less likely with these- and Isn't as big a worry as the braking on landing after a big jump.

Red-1- good advice, thank you. I think the SJers pair were older, the eventers pair less than 3 years old. As you say, they blame invisible micro-cracks.

I found the post I was looking for https://www.facebook.com/gregory.james.758/posts/1171458716249821 his daughter was dragged, seems they break when you don't want them to, and don't when they really need to.....

In the second high profile case, the eventer in question doesn't give them heavy use. “I fully appreciate that stirrups do have to absorb a lot of landing [pressure] and may get fatigued.

“However mine were less than three years old and get very low use: I only have one event horse, and jump on average once per week, if that, and much smaller fences than a grand prix showjumper.

“They are great stirrups and very popular, but clearly there is a manufacture issue which needs investigating.”

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/eventer-forced-abandon-round-freejump-stirrup-breaks-620643

I'd not be trusting them....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So many more than 2 reports of breakages just higher profile ones, I would never have trusted them so no trust to lose!

Nici

Visit site
I've heard great things about Freejump stirrups. As some other members have mentioned, any tack can break and the reason we hear so much about freejumps breaking is because they are well known.
It's the same as with all these fancy hats: they may cost £500+, but they are still there to perform the same duty as cheaper models and I don't expect them to last forever. Same with freejumps.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If Im honest its purely the cost for me, I would not expect to hear stories of them failing given the absolute rip off they seem to be. I just couldnt warrant spending that much on stirrups though ;) Ive always used bog standard stainless steel bent leg ones, never had them fail and cheap... Any tack can fail, but when its very expensive you wouldnt think it should fail very quickly.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm surprised at people saying 'any piece of equipment can break'
Micro cracking and fatigue is really the absolute basics of plastics design and manufacture. But hey, they're fancy colours so I guess the company doesn't need to bog themselves with anything so dull.....