Freelance event groom

ihatework

Visit site
Hi, is anyone one? Or does anyone use one?

I'm going to be doing a bit of freelance competition grooming (mostly eventing, but possibly other disciplines too) and just wondering what current rates are?

I have something in my head but want to be competitive whilst not selling myself short/free!!

Also, anyone got suggestions for reasonable insurance? I'll only be doing this as a hobby job, but it would be wise to have some cover in place.

If anyone would be willing to pm me rough charges I'd be grateful

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Where are you based ? I know someone whose looking for a freelance groom, odd day here and there whilst they're out competing.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm near Tetbury, and not on here scouting for work (promise!!), just have no idea what the general rate is.

Is it per day/half day or by the hour?

Last edited:

wkiwi

Visit site
I did it for a (very) short while. Used a base rate of £10 per hour and worked around that. There are disadvantages of doing a per day rate (disadvantage if the day is very long), but then it depends whether you are working all day or whether you get to (and want to) watch competitions etc. It would depend on the person and circumstances. If it was a regular customer then around £7 per hour, but don't go below minimum wage or you might as well be doing something else and enjoy the shows yourself.
Re insurance - absolutely definitely. I never had anything happen, but if you are in charge of a horse that damaged another horse or vehicle or person then I can just imagine what the lawyers for the other party would do. Also, you will probably find that you will have to pay an extra premium to cover any damage to the horse/s you are looking after, as that sort of cover isn't included routinely. Can't remember what that bit was called but something to do with 'horses in your care'. From memory, both third party and horses in care insurance combined to be about 300-350 per year, but depended on qualifications held.
Thirdly, you might also want to include personal insurance in case of injury to yourself. Note that BHS membership doesn't cover any of this as it for work.
Have fun

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you have any BHS qualifications you can go on their register and have grooms care and control insurance as an add on extra, that is for commercial use.

If not I found Julie Andrews horse insurance, a broker, to be very helpful. Her instructor's policy was similar to BHS, and none of the faff. You did not need qualifications. I would imagine she does grooms insurance too.

I do offer this, and charge less than half my teaching rate to reflect that I will possibly be providing training, as well as grooming, moral support etc, but also will be spending a lot of time watching. I won't drive anyone else's vehicle as this just opens a can of worms re insurance/ business use/ drivers hours.

MissTyc

Visit site
I pay a groom £10/hour and expect her to be "on hand" for the entire event. She doesn't drive for me, but she does all the walking, prep, watering, tack changes between phases, etc ... I trust her implicitly and usually buy lunch & ice cream as well ... + coffee in the morning! She is a young girl so doesn't provide any advice or training, she does provide moral support ;)