freelance groom, where to advertise/where would you look?!

Visit site
Hi,

I am a freelance groom and have just set up my business self employed, after working employed as a groom for the last 12 years.
My question is where would you look if you were wanting to FIND a freelance groom?
I have loads of ads out already, just curious to no where the best place to advertise/get noticed would be??
Thanks everyone :)

Visit site
Hi, I'm not trying to advertise on here I was just seeking advice on where the best place would be to advertise. If I was advertising here I would have included all my details and contact details, which I haven't. Thanks

Visit site
I placed one on preloved Twinkley Lights but they took it off as they said it requires business membership which is so thing daft like £20 per month!
I have been thinking about the local publications MiCsarah just not sure what the advertising rates are like?! On a it of a budget untill I get more established!
Don't think I have posted on lincs equestrian yet will have to look into that one, thanks everyone :)

Tronk

Visit site
Or how about putting a notice up in Chandlers at Belton (think it's free?) or T&C Robinson at Billinghay have a noticeboard too? Sorry don't know where you're based. Or how about advertising on a horsey page on Facebook?

HardySoul1

Visit site
Equestrian Life magazine.
Local riding club newsletters and websites.
Notice at farrier forge or in his van.
Every possible noticeboard at tack shops and feed stores.
Posters at equestrian centres eg Arena UK and every local unaffiliated show you or friends attend.
Drop off business cards or flyers at every yard or horsey property you pass.
Make your promotion material as professional looking as possible
Good luck with it, I freelanced years ago in Norfolk. I did some mornings for small racehorse trainer, rest was ad hoc.

Visit site
Thank you HardySoul1 some use full ideas I hadn't thought of!
I'm off to local hunter trial this weekend so going to get an ad up there and leave some cards.
I'd love to do the Equestrian Life but its a bit above my budget for now as have to advertise as a business which isn't cheap!

case895

Visit site
Equestrian Life magazine.
Local riding club newsletters and websites.
Notice at farrier forge or in his van.
Every possible noticeboard at tack shops and feed stores.
Posters at equestrian centres eg Arena UK and every local unaffiliated show you or friends attend.
Drop off business cards or flyers at every yard or horsey property you pass.
Make your promotion material as professional looking as possible
Good luck with it, I freelanced years ago in Norfolk. I did some mornings for small racehorse trainer, rest was ad hoc.

I am a potential customer (to cover holidays, work trips, etc.) and I have to say that I would not have picked up on any of these or the other ideas suggested. The only place that I would ever look is on t'internet as I don't read magazines, I don't ever go to the local tack shops and I don't compete.

HardySoul1

Visit site
Tesco express - WHERE would you look on the internet? I think the OP wants actual suggestions? I personally wouldn't have a clue about actual websites, other than doing a Google search?
My experiences as a freelance groom predate the internet (blush) so I have only suggested the ones that worked for me. But I am interested in where to look in this digital age? I am now a potential customer instead of the groom, but don't know where else to look? Lots of horse selling websites, but finding small livery yards and other services is really hit and miss imho.

case895

Visit site
Tesco express - WHERE would you look on the internet? I think the OP wants actual suggestions? I personally wouldn't have a clue about actual websites, other than doing a Google search?
My experiences as a freelance groom predate the internet (blush) so I have only suggested the ones that worked for me. But I am interested in where to look in this digital age? I am now a potential customer instead of the groom, but don't know where else to look? Lots of horse selling websites, but finding small livery yards and other services is really hit and miss imho.
I would Google "freelance groom derbyshire" and the specific town I live nea r. I would expect a simple, basic 1 page website with an email address and I would expect a reply to emails within 24 hours (everyone has smartphones now so longer is unforgiveable).

I never look on horse-specific websites and do not know any.

the watcher

Visit site
Most county areas have a specific equestrian group on Facebook which is good for networking. See if your local hunt have a newsletter or email system that you can get an entry on, also riding clubs and similar newsletters

I am freelance and get all my work by word of mouth, I have never advertised and am turning away work every week, so the work is out there once you get your name known locally

Visit site
Have done Retford Saddlery thanks Twinkly Lights.
I'm hoping that with all the ads I have now placed on various Internet sites, that I will hopefully come up near the top on the google searches!!
I'm keeping fingers crossed that the hunter trial doesn't get called off with this weather on Sunday, as it should be a good place to get my ad up and cards given out :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My friend is a free lance groom in the Newark area, and put cards up in local tack shops etc. Someone else (obviously another freelance groom) went round and pulled them all down, so check they stay there when you put them up!

Visit site
Seriously? That's terrible, if anything I would want to get to no other grooms in the area, that way you can help each other out if one is too busy you could recommend another to the customer!

the watcher

Visit site
mariethegroom, if I was anywhere near you (and personaly knew the quality of your work) I would happily send it your way...I have a list of freelance grooms in my area that I have worked with and usually send potential customers on to them

DW Team

Visit site
I was looking I would be going on mouth.

But you could try popping round any local events Arena UK, Elms Farm, Vale View, to think of a few. Ask if you could pop a flier under windscreens. What about asking on DIY yards if you could pop a note up in tack rooms?

Visit site
DWTeam I was looking into the livery yard idea, just got to be carefull and make sure I find totally DIY yards as wouldn't want to step on the toes of any yards that offer services to clients already!
The watcher I totally understand, I wouldn't want to recommend someone I didn't no either as it could come back on you if a good job wasn't done!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Also, your local Facebook equine groups.
I recently needed to use a Freelance groom,and there is a serious shortage this way. The only ones I found whom bothered to reply,or weren't scared of our 17.2hh horse, I found though the local facebook equine groups.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Word of mouth by preference, from instructors/farrier/vet/EDT.

Tack shops notice boards - I might be willing to give someone a trial (with me in attendance).

Riding Club programmes.

Website.

case895

Visit site
Word of mouth by preference, from instructors/farrier/vet/EDT.

Tack shops notice boards - I might be willing to give someone a trial (with me in attendance).

Riding Club programmes.

Website.

I'd attend the 1st time, but keep an eye using the CCTV too...

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

Not at all horsey related but whilst looking for a dog-sitter I did a search on google and came up with lots of websites - which I liked as they gave details of experience/prices etc. I didnt like facebook for these as not too much detail given. Xxxx