Freelance grooms cost

coss

Visit site
I've done a quick search and this topic hasn't been covered for a while. Just wondering what the more up to date rates are?
I've been doing the odd bit of freelance grooming for the past 6 years and thinking of a price change as still on the original pay - minimum wage has obviously increased in that time.
I also started out simply having about 15years worth of horse experience and now am a fully qualified BHSAI.
I have set my fees for exercising of horses fairly recently but just general yard duties have been the same since 2010.

The number of horses has changed over the years- now 7 and a foal. The number brought in at night varies - usually anywhere between 3 and 6. I only visit twice a week (am) and do holiday cover. I don't know how many horses I will be having to muck out until I get there either. Travel isn't too bad as it's local but would you charge an hourly rate or per stable rate with a minimum fee?
Tasks include feeding, mucking out (very messy stables), rug changes, turnout, feeding/checking horses that weren't in overnight. Some are on shavings, some on straw....
I do other horses for other people too but usually there's up to 3 horses so far less responsibility and more consistent timings.
This is also not my sole job - technically I could afford not to do it at all but it's a handy fill in job for when other jobs slack off

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Hourly fee is usual, often with a minimum amount if not there for a few hours.

Price I'd imagine varies with location, around here freelancers are around £12ph

be positive

Visit site
I would charge an hourly rate, rounded up if there are less on one day than normal, you can fill in the extra time tidying up if you are expecting to do 6 and find there are only 3 to muck out, guessing you are taking 2-3 hours to do them each morning I would quote for 3 hours and they will either start to tell you how many to expect to do or be happy to pay a fixed rate if they know you are honest and not rushing about cutting corners to get finished quickly. If you just charge per box you won't know how much you are getting each week and it will not cover other odds and ends that may need doing.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I would charge an hourly rate, rounded up if there are less on one day than normal, you can fill in the extra time tidying up if you are expecting to do 6 and find there are only 3 to muck out, guessing you are taking 2-3 hours to do them each morning I would quote for 3 hours and they will either start to tell you how many to expect to do or be happy to pay a fixed rate if they know you are honest and not rushing about cutting corners to get finished quickly. If you just charge per box you won't know how much you are getting each week and it will not cover other odds and ends that may need doing.

£10-12 p/hr

coss

Visit site

It takes up to 1hr 30 - 2hours tops from past experience. Approx 20mins per horse that's stabled (depending on bedding, how long they've been in at night etc). the other odds and ends takes a pretty consistent time whether there are 4 out or 1... unless there are problems (injury) obviously.

Shazzababs

Visit site
I use someone fairly local when I am away. They charge me £20 per visit.

This covers a 15 mile round trip, and an hour of time at my yard doing what I need them to do.

They charge me for a full hour so the price is the same even if the horses are out and they are just checking them (I have 3), or they are in at night and they have to turn out and muck out.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
When I am not sure what is a fair charge, and not sure how long a job will take, I charge £65 for a daily charge [this is not a full eight hour day], and £50 for a morning, which would be about four hours on site.
I take my time from home to the end of the shift, and multiply this by my hourly rate, my lowest hourly rate for this type of work would be £10, and would assume that client is regular and pays up quickly, and that you want the job.