Freeze marking

vera123

Visit site
Freezemarking - what are people's opinions? Get it done or not? Also if done under saddle how long before you can ride? Seriously thinking about getting my horse done. My last Horse came freeze marked and it was so long ago when my mum had hers done I can't remember how long before She could ride thanks guy's

ebonyallen

Visit site
I think that it is a good visual aid, any would be thief can see the mark for themselves. Micro chip is also good but they cant see that first off Re the riding it really depends on the horse and their sensitivity.

OWLIE185

Visit site
99% of stolen freezemarked horses are found compared to 42% of non-freezemarked horses.
Best to get them done on their shoulder as can be seen when ridden.
If done under saddle allow a good three weeks before riding.

WelshD

Visit site
My pony is freezemarked on his shoulder, it looks terrible, like someone carved it with a knife, its sensitive to the sun and just looks an absolute state

I wont have the other pony done

ilvpippa

Visit site
My chestnut girl had hers done back in 2011; it's on her back & she didn't even lift her head out of her hay whilst it was being done. She's a sensitive tb so was shocked how in bothered she was. The lady who did it was brill & got it done with no fuss!

BigGinger

Visit site
I also had my chestnut TB done on his back who is very sensitive. Was surprised how unbothered he was by it all. It healed nicely and had have had not any bother and it has never been sensitive to sunlight.

I had mine personalised to his name so I like it that little bit more!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Freezemarking - what are people's opinions? Get it done or not? Also if done under saddle how long before you can ride? Seriously thinking about getting my horse done. My last Horse came freeze marked and it was so long ago when my mum had hers done I can't remember how long before She could ride thanks guy's

Def yes a deterrent and makes you feel more at ease knowing your horse can be identified - a bonus have it personalised.

vera123

Visit site
Only concern is showing so would rather have it under saddle but not sure re waiting to ride. Might be something I get done in the winter

BlackRider

Visit site
My chao is a grey, so the full brand was on the shoulder, they do have to leave it on a lot longer on a grey, so I had to have Apache sedated first(he's very sensitive).

My (now sadly departed) Misty, was generally very good, and i had the micro mark done on her - she was also grey, and she was uncomfortable towards the end of the process.

NaeNae87

Visit site
Both of mine are branded on the shoulder (what we call freeze marking).

Our Agricultural department requires it unless you are a current member of a breed society and your horse is registered with it. That is the only way around it. It is very rare to see an unbranded horse in Aus. The majority of unbranded horses are normally imports.

My TB was done when he was a weanling and my pony was done last year. He was lightly sedated and was able to be ridden the next day. He was fine with it and it did not bother him.

My TB's brands - (yes I am being incredibly safety conscious and laying down wearing thongs/flip flops and yes his legs are swollen... they filled up because he was stabled overnight)
4_zpsy8fczqhv.png

6_zpslxe3n4kx.png

And my pony's brands on the day they were done. The swelling went down after about 30 mins.
1_zpskfvstjs3.png

3_zpsdsrfn6tu.png

2_zpsob1sjtje.png

And the right side 2 weeks ago (I can't find a clear picture of the left side)
2_zpsptkceayz.png

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I got both of mine done on the shoulder.
My grey didn't need sedation and stood still to have hers done (until she got bored and decided it was time to go out).
I sedated the bay with sedalin and I clipped her a few days before as she is a lot more panicy.

It was 3 days before mine could ride and I was told 7 days for a mark under saddle.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Only concern is showing so would rather have it under saddle but not sure re waiting to ride. Might be something I get done in the winter
I got my youngster done many years ago on her back when freezebranding was very new and I used to show her and even won my class at a county show, so judges were fine with it. my current horse has hers on her back but if I got a new horse I would have it done on the shoulder just so it is more visible even when being ridden..would rather have them marked and have more chance of getting them back quickly..

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My boy was done at 4 as he's so friendly and was kept on a quiet lane but with the potential of easily being horse napped without anyone noticing as a foot path ran along the side of the field and was plenty wide enough to get transport down there without anyone seeing

Was told no riding for 6 weeks if under the saddle. But I wanted the shoulder anyway

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine is done on his back, I'm glad I had it done and it's noticeable.

It did take awhile to heal and by the fourth symbol (he's got three letters and a star) he was very nervous, it's taken me along time to be able to touch him on that side since doing it so in hindsight I'd of had him iv sedated for it.