Freezemarking, are your horses done?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
One or two recent threads have made me seriously consider freezemarking my horses. I am curious to know how many of you have done your horses and, also, if freezemarked stolen horses are more easily recovered.

I have had 6
animals done of my own and 80% of the liveries who have come through are too. Now I brought personal one, I would not le my horses be un freezemarked.

my late mare was done twice as when she was a dun she was done on her back then redone on her shoulder
007_zpsc1c4cfd1.jpg

Sorry if this upsets some , but those who say oh he has a scar so easily to spot and microchips only , then sorry this is not enough to safe guard them.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
l know when l go showing some judges have marked me down because they don't like horses freezmarked & it personal preference we all can't like the same things. l'd rather have my beloved equines than extra membership points!!!!

Well this happened in 80's but now most judges are fine. In fact I was commended once for having it done. Like you said would rather my horse be safe than served up.

shellonabeach

Visit site
The lady who came to me from Farmkey was lovely and said that the freezemarking is painless, my old little mare done 10 days ago shifted around a little bit but it was very windy, she was trying to get to the bucket with the nuts in and if anything I would imagine she was moving away from the pressure of the irons on her shoulder much as if I told her to move over.

My grey did get a swollen shoulder and it did put me off having it re-done on her but having now spoken to Farmkey this was most likely a reaction to the alcohol they clean the skin with (she is very sensitive to a lot of sprays and creams). The pony done 10 days ago is certainly showing no signs of the area being swollen and the mark is now starting to show, I will be having the grey re-done in the spring (it is currently visable as clipped but not as clear as I would like)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I contacted Farmkey today but there was no reply form the area rep so will try again tomorrow.

Can I ask those of you who have dark coloured horses why they are done on the shoulder and not under the saddle? Is it just personal preference or are people advised to have them done on the shoulder because of visibility.

Thanks

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Mine is very thin skinned and this was discussed with Farmkey and they said it was safer to do it on the shoulder. They adjust the length of time that the markers are applied to the skin to take the skin type into account. Mine had the shortest of the times used. Also I liked the fact that it is still visible when the horse is tacked up.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
this

freezemarks can be covered up/hidden..a microchip is unchangeable

maybe unchangeble but invisible , so how many get scanned before stealing or selling/ slaughtering?

There is no evidence that I know that freezemarking is covered up by theives

• Will freezemarking be detrimental in the show ring?
  • Farmkey freezemark many horses that compete and win at all levels in the show ring, from the Royal International to the Horse of the Year Show. Most judges approve of the mark, as show horses are very valuable.
  • Will freezemarking reduce insurance premiums?
  • Yes, some companies will reduce premiums.

NeverSurrender

Visit site
yes my boy is done on his shoulder, and id always get any others that i had in the future done too. Even though he's a bay and the white is very obvious, i don't notice it any more and i don't regret getting it done in the slightest.

6frpr9.png

JJones

Visit site
Are the marks always in a square? Or can you have them in a line?
Also, I was wanting to have a personalised mark but I'm guessing you can only have it if no one else has?

cambrica

Visit site
All of mine are freezemarked and microchipped.
The Welsh sec a's are the hardest to spot in the winter so I clip their marks as their coats are super long.
Roberto had a private? mark done, only £10 more. So he has R0B and a micromark horseshoe under the 0.
Mind you, he has his own 'special' ring star too which makes him more identifiable ;)
robsnow.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks Faracat, my pony is also very thin skinned and sensitive. I was going to have it done under the saddle but I may have it done on the shoulder now if it takes less time. Just need to get him used to clippers now.
It wasn't that it takes less time on the shoulder compared with the saddle area, it was that with her being very fine skinned, they didn't want to end up with a bald mark (like you do on greys) by accident on the saddle area. I hope that makes sense. :)

charliecrisps

Visit site
Do those of you who have your horses microchipped ever have your vet scan the chip to make sure it's working? I never have but will be next time I have the vet out - friend of mine has her horse scanned every year when he has his annual jabs and this year...no microchip!! Or it had stopped working. So she had to have her horse remicrochipped. First time the vet has had that happen but it obviously does happen so just thought I'd mention.

My microchip stopped working twice!!! Faulty batches. Now the horse has 3 chips!! Definitely get vet to check when they do routine vacs I say

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty is freezmarked under the saddle because he was subject to a loss of use claim .
I don't have any of the others done and will not have them done in the future they are all microchipped .
If I has coloured cob types or kept them in more exposed places I would perhaps consider it .
I would not purchase at any price a horse freezmarked on its shoulder.
We check chips yearly.

cambrica

Visit site
3 of mine are on their shoulders as they are greys so the freezmark has to be bald, which is not advisable under the saddle. Tbh I don't even notice at all and worry more when the marks are not visible (ref to my previous post - hairy welsh)

MrsElle

Visit site
I may have my TB done at some point, but at the moment if anyone tried to load her they would have to have lots of time and patience. Took three hours the last time (she has been beaten into a lorry before so is very frightened). The Shettie no one would get anywhere near, and the other two are on loan so not my decision to make.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question,about whether horses going thru sales have their freeze marks (and/or chips) checked/looked into to verify they aren't stolen/belong to the person putting them thru the sale? I'm genuinely interested.:)

weebarney

Visit site
As an educated guess id say no because how many owners don't keep the details up to date? I've just privately bought a horse who was chipped 3 year ago and he's never had any owners details next to his chip.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
im .
I don't have any of the others done and will not have them done in the future they are all microchipped .
If I has coloured cob types or kept them in more exposed places I would perhaps consider it .
I would not purchase at any price a horse freezmarked on its shoulder.
We check chips yearly.

Each to their own, It would make no difference to me where the freezemark is, it would not put me off. So if the perfect horse came along, you would not consider it?

Personally I have never considered microchips on my equines, its not visible to a potential thief, therefore not a deterrent, thieves do not carry a scanner with them. I use hoof brands too. I like a visible deterrent, to me a microchip is no different than lip tattoo if you can't see it they pinch it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question,about whether horses going thru sales have their freeze marks (and/or chips) checked/looked into to verify they aren't stolen/belong to the person putting them thru the sale? I'm genuinely interested.:)

If the sale has been notified and photo's sent, then a lookout is usually done and checks made (or used too) and if a poster is sent they put it on window or notice board at the sales office.