Freezemarking- Experiences please

magichorse

Visit site
I am seriously considering having my horse freezemarked. Please can anyone share experiences good and bad? Are there any negatives to having a horse freezemarked? Any recommendations about the company to use- have only heard of FarmKey and Freezemark.

Would really appreciate any thoughts/ oppinions xx

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
Farmkey did ours about 8 years ago and both of them stood still munching treats after a brief move around at the strange sensation with the first letter.

one letter did not come out clearly and was redone free of charge.

The whole herd in our yard is freezemarked. We have had no other issues.

we paid a little extra to have our personal choice of letters / number !

cptrayes

Visit site
It was easy and the horses did not mind much. One was clearer than the other but both were fine. I had them done under the saddle, both were bays so did not need the hair killed, just the colour. They had a few days off work. I think it is much more of a theft deterrent than chipping.

magichorse

Visit site
Thank you :)

What about where the mark is done? My horse is cold backed so I was thinking about having it done on his shoulder. Any comments on this please? Has anyone had a mark on a different place than shoulder or under the saddle?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Mmm timely as I'm wondering about this too.. just bought a 16 yr old pony who is not chipped or freezemarked. She's grey so I'm wondering whether to microchip instead.

She's on livery in a secure yard so I think less prone to risk of theft but you never know do you.

Janah

Visit site
I've had two ponies done, and both on the shoulder. No problems. I think it is better on the shoulder because if they are stolen the freezemark is there for all to see when being ridden.

Jane

CeeBee

Visit site
Harveys is on his shoulder, crystal clear and I too opted for personalised letters - his is HRV. Nemo is in the saddle area, but it didn't come out well when it was done so they (Freezemark) came out and did it again. Although better, it's still not particularly clear and I was told that if it didn't work a second time then unlikely to work at all. Was only about 6 weeks ago, so may still improve. His Mark is NMO.
Very good service from Freezemark and would use again.
Also, if opting for personalised marking, I think their numbering system works better than Farmkeys!

magichorse

Visit site
Thank you :) I was thinking about having the mark on his shoulder, but wondered if anyone has marked anywhere else. I seem to remember them being done on the neck at one time, but doesn't seem so common now.

Any more comments positive or negative welcome xx

vicksey

Visit site
Definitely recommend it. My horse was petrified of clippers and was cold backed, but when they came to do his freezmark he stood absolutely still and was really calm, not bothered at all. I had it done on his back, it came out clear and I was riding after 4 days with no issues at all. Farm key did ours and they were really good!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Farmkey did ours about 8 years ago and both of them stood still munching treats after a brief move around at the strange sensation with the first letter.

one letter did not come out clearly and was redone free of charge.

This! ^^^^^

Mine was 5 years ago and also happily munched away!

Dancing Queen

Visit site
who is your technician?

I like farmkey they were very kind and quick to my youngsters. Im having more done this christmas but i think i might give the one a little bit of sedaline as she is a stressy mare!

magichorse

Visit site
who is your technician?

I like farmkey they were very kind and quick to my youngsters. Im having more done this christmas but i think i might give the one a little bit of sedaline as she is a stressy mare!

I'm not sure of her name, but know that she comes from Wales, and is coming to us on her way to Yorkshire. Great to hear that they were good with your youngsters. :)

Tammytoo

Visit site
Had mine done years ago in the saddle area, no probs. I know some people have had them done under the mane. Much better deterrent than microchipping as it is there for all to see.

ECRider

Visit site
Glad I have spotted this thread I too have been thinking about getting Bertie Freezemarked. He is chipped but that's no visual deterrent when you have low lifes driving round marking horses to pinch :mad: I am going to book him in to be marked around November time when I am due to have my baby then he can happily have some time off :)

magichorse

Visit site
Glad I have spotted this thread I too have been thinking about getting Bertie Freezemarked. He is chipped but that's no visual deterrent when you have low lifes driving round marking horses to pinch :mad: I am going to book him in to be marked around November time when I am due to have my baby then he can happily have some time off :)

Yes- I feel better now that I've made the decision and booked him in. I had a bit of a scare with my trailer - someone had started to move the fence around it but must have seen the wheel clamp/ got disturbed because it wasn't actually taken. Freaked me out a bit and gave me the push to finally make the decision to get him done.

He is microchipped already but as others have said it is a more visual deterrant

The_snoopster

Visit site
I also have all mine done, with no problems at all. On the subject of unusual places to freezemark, my coloured mare as recently been done at the side of her tail very much like a car number plate. Did not want a bald mark and her colouring did not leave much room on her flanks, she was also in foal when I had her done and really did not feel happy about having her done on her flanks anyway.
Unfortunately her mark had to be done 3 times, I feel the last one which was only done around 3 weeks ago will come out better has she did not scab up on the 2 previous ones this time she has really scabbed up as the lady has now realized my mare must have skin like a rhino. There is no charge for them to come out and remark your horse if you feel the mark is not clear enough, honestly it is an easy procedure and I shall be having my filly done as soon as she is old enough.

magichorse

Visit site
I also have all mine done, with no problems at all. On the subject of unusual places to freezemark, my coloured mare as recently been done at the side of her tail very much like a car number plate. Did not want a bald mark and her colouring did not leave much room on her flanks, she was also in foal when I had her done and really did not feel happy about having her done on her flanks anyway.
Unfortunately her mark had to be done 3 times, I feel the last one which was only done around 3 weeks ago will come out better has she did not scab up on the 2 previous ones this time she has really scabbed up as the lady has now realized my mare must have skin like a rhino. There is no charge for them to come out and remark your horse if you feel the mark is not clear enough, honestly it is an easy procedure and I shall be having my filly done as soon as she is old enough.

Thank you! Interesting place to have the mark- I had wondered about having it on his bottom, and the lady I spoke to today said that it was possible. It sounds daft but it is something I want to get right as it's permanent (bit like a tattoo! :D ). Reassuring to know that they will re-mark if necessary, and that this has not put you off. Thanks again!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
:D i had my very dark brown,almost black youngster done a very long time ago, i think about 30 years ago, by farmkey. they were very good and she was absolutely fine, BUT it didnt come out properly and had to be done again twice. there was no charge and my youngster was fine each time.. this was at the very beginning of freezemarking so i think they were still learning.. my current horse is freezemarked(done by farmkey before i bought her) and i would always have any of mine done as microchipping isnt visible to the naked eye...

Dancing Queen

Visit site
Had the freezemark done yesterday. Horsie was fine! I gave him a bit of sedalin and he didn't really look up from his haynet :)

Technician was Alison Duffield, and she was very good- efficient and friendly, answered all my questions. Would recommend!

Good stuff - I thought it would be Alison - She is lovely and very quick. xx

Randonneuse

Stroud/Cirencester (but France originally!)
Visit site
Hello,

I have been thinking of having my horse freezemarked for a little while now (he has been microchipped years ago) and even more now as about 2 weeks ago someone broke into the yard where he is kept.(people didn't take anything appart from a handtool but may come back...fingers crossed they don't..)
I have been told by someone at the yard that it really hurts the horse as it's freezing -so was a bit put off having it done- but by reading your comments it looks like the horses are not bothered??
Please could you give me some information on prices to have it done and the yearly cost?
Thanks!

SuperCoblet

Visit site
We used FarmKey who were fantastic.
As we were lacking dark patches it either had to be on his neck or flank. He was a dificult pony who we ended up having to give him a bucket of food to occupy him :rolleyes: and they seemed understanding and were very patient with him :)
Here is his:
6ad912a8.jpg

:)

mimbulator

Visit site
I had my mare done with Farmkey four years ago. Had "FLOP" put on her shoulder. She called Libby but from her being a baby she has always been called dolly flop. And if she ever went missing it is very memorable. I had her done on her shoulder as due to her size (hefty 17.2hh bay) it is much more visible.
There were four of us had them done at the same time, we had her twitched (as she has a habit of taking a dislike to people like vets and the dentist) but the other three horses just stood there as if nothing was happening.
One of the girls had her coloured done on her crest as she does a lot of driving and thought doe to her harness this would be the best position for her mare.

my mares.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...97452960237.2016811.1344007821&type=1&theater