Freezing water

coss

Visit site
I've seen lots of people asking how others keep the water from freezing... here is my method:
I have a medium tub trug and i filled with hot water - it was -15 last night and didn't rise above -5 today - it cools down very quickly, if the horses are desperate for a drink add snow to cool down ;).

the hot water in the tub trug, weight of it etc, created a hollow in the snow. I then packed the snow firmly round the bucket - very thick layer. This insulates the bucket/water from frost and wind chill. The water didn't freeze today at all today. I will go out later tonight to top up with hot water. The top surface may freeze as its expose to the cold air but it didn't freeze as much as it would have done - previously i had at least 2 inches of ice forming a "second bucket" within the tub trug. another that i didn't bury in snow is completely solid :(
156790_473804553534_763688534_5764246_3707970_n.jpg

applecart14

Visit site
I've seen lots of people asking how others keep the water from freezing... here is my method:
I have a medium tub trug and i filled with hot water - it was -15 last night and didn't rise above -5 today - it cools down very quickly, if the horses are desperate for a drink add snow to cool down ;).

the hot water in the tub trug, weight of it etc, created a hollow in the snow. I then packed the snow firmly round the bucket - very thick layer. This insulates the bucket/water from frost and wind chill. The water didn't freeze today at all today. I will go out later tonight to top up with hot water. The top surface may freeze as its expose to the cold air but it didn't freeze as much as it would have done - previously i had at least 2 inches of ice forming a "second bucket" within the tub trug. another that i didn't bury in snow is completely solid :(
156790_473804553534_763688534_5764246_3707970_n.jpg

That looks like a good solution, but for the fact that I would worry that either I or my horse would lose a leg down it!