french horses

DiablosGold

Visit site
Madness!
frown.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
These people are obviously very well meaning, but they are just creating more problems. It is a fact of life on the continent that horses are bred for meat for human consumption.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Hi
thanks for posting this,
Why are they importing french knackers into the UK?. Any one that wants to help a horse in need should visit their local horse sale then they would realise that there are plenty to choose from.
I try in my own small way to help horses by breaking two or three sound youngsters each year, then they have a chance of finding a good home. Every time some pillock brings in a sad old reck from abroad a UK native pony is denied a home and will probably go to our very own meatman. And then they condem the abbitiors for killing unwanted horses?!
Who do they think would look after these ponys if the UK abbitiors shut down?
And a 19yo nasty giant stallion?? are they crazy???
Sorry for long rant but that site really touched a nerve. Its more nauseating than watching Linda Parelli on acid
crazy.gif

Nailed

Visit site
m with last chancer on this one.. sorry but alotta horses out there that are better off in the abattour for there own good.
Too many unwanted and mistreat horses out there.

Lou x

jewel

Visit site
i've been reading about them on another forum and one of the stallions that they have rescued is now being used at stud. But surely if it was that good of a stallion it wouldn't of been going for meat. in the first place.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Quite!
I have nothing against people buying young horses if they look like going to slaughter but why bring them into the country when there are loads here already that can be bought much cheaper?

scotslass30

Visit site
I have met one of those horses and its very wild and the person whom is bringing it on for a someone has done loads with her and shes due a foal soon . Still has a long way to go .

LuanneCat

Visit site
They try to help but the farmers breeding these animals don't mind if they are sold for meat or to an English person that wants to rescue them. They still get their price and move on to the next stock.

It may be that the area I live in is traditionally very poor or just plain old traditional however they are VERY matter of fact. You raise the pig, sheep, cows, goats, horses and you eat them. The farmers I know (not breeding Horses though) treat their stock with a heck of a lot of respect.

Even though it's sold in the local supermarket personally I would NEVER touch Horse meat.

They are asking highish prices tbh. Horses that are 'sans papier' are not often worth much and foals not eligible for registration I have known be given away. The import prices also if sold to the English makes it quite a costly process for a rescue when there are many already in the UK crying out for it.

On the flip side these can often be decent animals and bargains are possible.

D

Donkeymad

One of the things that I and a small few others said when this all started, was that if WE in the UK buy them, the french farmers will simply renew the supply with other animals. We really need to accept that in other countries, horses are BRED for meat. Someon I know bought a 13 something hh pony and it is a devil and she is still struggling. Sorry, but it - and this stallion - would be better of being slaughtered.

Sorry if my post offends anyone.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Donkeymad
I totally agree with you.
I cannot understand why people need to buy from france when they could probably buy and rehabilitate two UK horses for less than it would cost to bring one over from france.
Also no offence to anyone that has bought one of these horses but how many actually have the time and knowledge to bring one on competently - Or are we about to start seeing lots of precherons in our UK horse sales after they have been given up on?

Tharg

Visit site
I hear the bells of possible litigation...

Thats if it doesn't go for meat, which appears to be the better option.

DAHH

Visit site
I know that people who save meat horses are well meaning however I feel that they are approching the situation from the wrong angle. The fact is continental europeans eat a lot of horse meat. You are not going to be able to stop this. Many people make money out of raising horses,or sending older horses, to be meat. Just as cow/sheep/pig farmers do.

The meat trade is unstoppable but what can be changed is the way these horses are kept and transported before slaughter. By buying a horse from a meat man all you are doing is lining his pocket. But by fighting for a change/ tightening of laws regarding treatment and transport of animals you will hit these people where it hurts- in the pocket.

zigzag

Visit site
Looking at the price of the horses, you would make a slight profit buying them and selling them for meat over here
tongue.gif
(I wouldn't do this lol) that 19yr old stallion that attacks people and horses, why do they want someone to buy it... it is asking for an accident
crazy.gif

peter1959

stores.ebay.co.uk
The live export is the issue.

It is a sensitive subject and saving these horses is not something I am, never been or never will be involved in.

I posted the link to show a different angle, I support what my sister did, but it is not something I would do.
smile.gif

wilder

www.parkviewsaddlery.com
i also brought a french horse over in the first shipment, i think what you have to understand alot of these are not knackered old horses some are in their prime just surplus to requirements alot of these horses are now ridden and have homes for life mine was 10 yrs old and i have since found out through tracking his papers that he was used as a stallion until aged 8 then had 2 yrs of don,t know where and ended up going to slaughter due to the old farmer being ill
i think the problem is the first lot that were saved were genuinley done for the horses since then websites etc have built up around the french horses and alot of these are not due for slaughter but still put as going so the whole french thing left a sour taste i did for the good of the horse and so many others have done it for profit or got rid as soon as they didnt make the grade
as for breeding once back over here aren,t they just adding to the problem
we actually had someone on another forum asking for funds as they only had 100.00 and to me why bring a horse over if you can,t even afford the intial costs
i think it has got way out of hand

jewel

Visit site
the thing of it i agreed with the rescusing to start with, however now i think it's got stupid especially with that horse it's dangerous and is going were it belongs before it kills someone. then you've got people bring over stallions to use at stud. others that have rescued them but can't afford to keep them so home them again and then there is the one that are bring them over and breaking them to sell so they are no better than dealers. also there is some on that forum that the forum all put money towards but you never hear updates on them.