Frequency of Seasons?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lil'dog would appear to be in season again.

No physical signs as such, just a distinct interest in the other dogs (much to their confusion) and being very keen on shoving her bum in their faces, and whining.

She's perfectly fit and happy in herself.

It's only two months since the last one... We were looking to have her spayed in January if the vets are doing ops by then, but now I'm a tad confused.

I will, of course, call the vet if I need to. She's fine with other people, so long as they're not on her property (turned into a feisty little bobber in that respect!), so I've no issue with handing her over to the vet for a looksee if necessary.

Any wise words folks?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
A quick google has made me go Eep! Not only might we be facing a split season, but little dogs can come into season three or four times a year.

Will call the vet tomorrow as need to know when, given the above, she can be spayed. The wee thing doesn't like the season and gets very ancy.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its bad enough getting her spayed without complications of when to do it, she is 4 months so hope she doesnt start too early, regretting getting a bitch in a way as dogs ops are so much simpler...

{97702}

Visit site
Does a cavalier count as a small dog? Never known of any bitch having a ‘split season’ & can only think of a tiny number of examples of bitches who came into season maybe every 5 months than 6? That was usually because they were brought in by other bitches in the household. It’s not that common ?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Does a cavalier count as a small dog? Never known of any bitch having a ‘split season’ & can only think of a tiny number of examples of bitches who came into season maybe every 5 months than 6? That was usually because they were brought in by other bitches in the household. It’s not that common ?

It's new to me but it's a thing. Ho hum. Lil'dog never fails to make life interesting that's for sure.

I'll report back when I've managed to speak to a vet. I am, of course, hoping It's just a day or twos blip and she's back to normal soonest. Fingers are crossed!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd never really come across it before being involved in an absolute cluster of an attempted mating back in 2018 (plus owner was too tight to get the bitch blood tested) but since then I've heard of it more.
She did come back in a couple of months later.

Bellasophia

Visit site
One of my poodle girls would cycle every nine months,but attracted dogs a month before aNd a month after her seasons( which lasted 4 weeks,discharge).
We were reluctant to spay her as she has 3 convulsions in her life..In fact during her late spay op ,her heart stopped twice and they had to shock her back..o_O
When we did spay the vet discoverEd she had poly cystic ovaries ,which accounted ifor her odd seasons .

deb_l222

Visit site
If she has no other signs, then she’s probably not in season. Dogs sticking their bums in each other’s faces is just a sign of friendship and not always an indication they want to mate.

Willow is very friendly with her bottom and she’s been sorted :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
If she has no other signs, then she’s probably not in season. Dogs sticking their bums in each other’s faces is just a sign of friendship and not always an indication they want to mate.

Willow is very friendly with her bottom and she’s been sorted :)

Ta, it was tying that with her whining and trying to engage the other dogs as she did last season.

Today she's been fine and back to normal so who knows! Although she's also been sick this evening, which I think is something the GSD had yesterday as she was sick and now is fine. The Grots, who are woefully pathetic when they feel off, are fine.