"Fresh" ponies!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Son's pony squealed 4/5 times, performed a 180, bucked and threw a shape for no reason at all. My mare was slightly on her toes, but she's very well behaved so barely noticed. However when we had a canter, she took a keen hold!

The wind was a bit bitey so could have had an effect. I was sitting chuckling at son's pony's antics.

Have you had an interesting ride today?

windand rain

Visit site
Not riding but even Hazel was doing airs above the ground and levade today interesting to see the old goat performing her moves and the absolutely perfect balance she has still even at 25. All the others were dancing too so impressive to see

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
Rode the pony this morning, first 5 mins were interesting. Back was up, little tantrum head snaking (welsh). Was contemplating getting off to avoid being ejected and she did a series of snorts & was then was totally focused and willing even with wind causing rattling on barn roof. Rode the other one on hack & let her have a canter, walk to fast canter in stride. She had spring in her step on the way home.

Surbie

Visit site
Plaited cobbus's tail so it wouldn't get muddy but I totally didn't register that would only help the wind get to his fluffy bits and cause havoc.

We had some unnecessary sideways going past some flappy pampas grass, big snorts at waving bags of dog poo tied in trees and were going to have a sedate canter but a dog gave chase so he used it as an excuse for going rather faster. My friend was impressed at his gear change, cos he does generally look a bit sleepy... Thankfully the new noseband gave me brakes. I 'may' have been a bit shouty at the dog when we passed it again and it wanted to play.

However most of the time he was a total dude about going out in driving sideways wind and sleet.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I didn't ride today but it's very windy here and with a cold 'bite' to it so I think all the horses were a little on edge. One of the horses in the next door field wandered over towards us and that was share horse's que to start spooking. After a couple of laps around me (not ideal but at least he didn't go through me) we walked on with my firm request that he stop being silly - we settled for 'springy walk with dragon noises at the pile of cones he walks past twice every single day' and me practicing my low voice "wooah" learned in lunging lesson yesterday (along with a few 'please stop being a boob, you're okay' reminders)

Michen

Visit site
Yep. Boggle has rediscovered his love for cantering and is being an absolute little s***bag. He actually had the nerve to lift his front feet a couple of feet off the ground on the road yesterday in protest at not being able to move at his preferred speed. Needless to say he was extremely disappointed that his antics are not taken seriously these days and he just gets ignored. Even Bear just ignores him, in fact he makes a conscious effort to look the other way with his ears pricked humming along and pretending the clattering around him isn't happening!

doodle

Visit site
I didn't ride today but it's very windy here and with a cold 'bite' to it so I think all the horses were a little on edge. One of the horses in the next door field wandered over towards us and that was share horse's que to start spooking. After a couple of laps around me (not ideal but at least he didn't go through me) we walked on with my firm request that he stop being silly - we settled for 'springy walk with dragon noises at the pile of cones he walks past twice every single day' and me practicing my low voice "wooah" learned in lunging lesson yesterday (along with a few 'please stop being a boob, you're okay' reminders)

Ah you see cones are not to be trusted. Robin also walks past one every day but some days it has MOVED. Much bananaing and snorting reminds the cone not to mess with Robin. There is also one at the top of the drive. Again it can’t be trusted and must be given the eye to make sure it knows that Robin is in charge. Then the one at the bottom of the road? Well! One day it had fallen over! He hasn’t noticed on the way down but coming back home the only saving grace was if he wanted to go home he had to go past it! If he could have jumped into a garden to give a wider berth he would have ?

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine was full of herself this morning. Even got an unrequested couple of strides of gallop down the long side of our small indoor school. Somebody said above that their horse's back was up and that's exactly how she felt. Then on the way to the field she spooked at the flappy banner that she passes every day, did a llama impression at the people walking up the path in front of her and would have had a melt-down at the fly-tipped carrier bag, except I'd seen it and swapped sides so it would eat me first. She's out now and she's b£%&@! well staying there until the snow has passed.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Ours were very forward, but we put it down to them having watched their friends go out without them earlier, and the oldie being chuffed he wasn't being left behind for once. They weren't naughty, and the wind didn't seem to bother them. They did seem to want to motor on though.

Shadow passed nicely and quietly by a group of new horses next to the lane and a very little girl on a pony (with mum following on foot looking nervous) coming the other way on a narrow path. Even the gipsy mare on a tether who he really fancies only got a little whinnie of greeting, and he didn't try to stop.