Freshly broken pony... what next?

MTrewhella1

Visit site
So this lockdown has been able to give me the time needed to start our home bred pony, he will be 4 in May.

This is my first time backing a pony myself, although I have helped my mum on numerous occasions to break. It’s been great having support and advice to hand when needed but I would like different opinions of what you would do next.

Because we have had him since birth he has been handled from a really early age. I had no rush to break him in so have taken my time to ensure all the basics are covered (positive response to voice commands, successfully long reining and lunging, a ton of ground work, taking out for lots of walks inhand around are regular hacking route etc). For the past 3 weeks he has been working with a rider on his back (3-4 times a week, 15-20 mins each time) , we started out with schooling and covering the basics to gage if he would be safe out on the roads which he was :). My partner has been walking out with us as due to the lockdown I have no other horses to take him out with.
Question is, where do I go from here? He’s mostly happy hacking out on his own, gets a tad excited when seeing other horses out and about but we’re working on that. Do I ideally need to start taking him out with other horses now? If that’s the case am I best to go back to groundwork and long reining until I have someone to ride with? I don’t want him getting bored or pushing him with something so new!
Sorry for the long winded post, I’m sure I’ve forgotten to mention something but I look forward to hearing your advice :)

TheMule

Visit site
At this stage you can want to continue to build strength IMO. Therefore I would keep doing what you are doing and start to increase the distance out hacking. There's no reason for him to need another horse if you've started without

MTrewhella1

Visit site
At this stage you can want to continue to build strength IMO. Therefore I would keep doing what you are doing and start to increase the distance out hacking. There's no reason for him to need another horse if you've started without

thanks :) I guess it all feels abit surreal and that everything’s gone too well I feel like I’m missing something! I shall keep doing what we’re doing :)