Friendly advice needed please!! Puppy pics****

BallyJ

Visit site
Hi all,

Need some help on toilet training our new pup! She’s 10 weeks old and doesn’t seem to be picking up the idea of going for wee’s outside.
She gives no warnings just squats. No asking to go out or signalling she might need one, we always have the door open though so I’m wondering if that is a hindrance?
She wees in her cage every night and doesn’t try to wake us.

We currently take her out every 20/30mins and say wee wee then praise when she does. Any help please?

It’s photo of the little one in return

Attachments

• 21305F16-7960-419B-9B99-B76C462445C2.jpeg
    21305F16-7960-419B-9B99-B76C462445C2.jpeg
    819.3 KB · Views: 40

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Having the back door is no guarantee that she’ll house train herself, that’s your job.

You’re doing the right thing by taking her out regularly and she will get the idea eventually.

I set an alarm to take my dog out at night for a wee when she was a puppy. Usually around 1.00 or 2.00am. And then up at 6.00am.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Keep at it. Make sure you are cleaning any accidents with something that removes the smell. We used biological washing powder but theres all sorts of options. With mine last wee wees is midnight, then up at 3 or 4 for a toilet break, then up again at 6. Then when the wake up, after a fun game, before and after meals, and every hour reagardless. They cant hold it long in the beginning.

Id be offering a tasty food treat for a wee done out doors as well. My youngest is nearly 3 and they still get a treat the odd time and they race each other to go outside and get back to line up for the treat.

My oldest was a nightmare to house train. He drove me crackers with it. The youngest was house trained in about a week and has only ever had 2 accidents in the house since we brought him home. They are all different. Some are more challening than others!

Last edited:

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Hi all,

Need some help on toilet training our new pup! She’s 10 weeks old and doesn’t seem to be picking up the idea of going for wee’s outside.
She gives no warnings just squats. No asking to go out or signalling she might need one, we always have the door open though so I’m wondering if that is a hindrance?
She wees in her cage every night and doesn’t try to wake us.

We currently take her out every 20/30mins and say wee wee then praise when she does. Any help please?

It’s photo of the little one in return
Having a summer puppy when the doors are open most of the day is a hindrance imo when it comes to toilet training. The problem is that they can come & go as they please, whether they need to toilet or not. You are certainly doing the right thing with taking puppy out every half an hour or so for a pee & using a vocal cue. Persistence is the answer. Re the crate training. I always used a larger crate with half-bed/half puppy pad at night. Unless you want to be getting up throughout the night for the first six months or so until their bladder can retain more, I haven’t found it to hinder toilet training🙂

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
As others have said, I think having the door open is a hindrance rather than a help as they're not learning to go outside. Patience is the key. I got some toilet training bells and didn't have another accident but Juno is a collie, so we already had an advantage. It is hard work and tiring having a puppy!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lovely puppy I am so jealous I very broody at the moment.
I have never worked why some pups are so easy and some harder .
I agree with the others you just have to preserve.
I don’t leave doors open with pups either .
And I do get up during the night until they get the idea .

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Are you expecting her to go dry throughout the night? Cos she can’t yet, she’s too little. Take her out after every meal, every time she drinks, every time she wakes up, every time she’s stopped playing. Patience is key, as is removal of paper or puppy pads, that just gives her permission to pee indoors.

Clodagh

Visit site
We go outside every 20 minutes for the first few days. By 10 weeks I would be hourly, unless they have woken up/had a drink or eaten.
Sadly you need to keep the door closed!
I would also just get her checked for a slight UTI, if she is going a lot, that wouldn't help and bitches are prone to them.
Massive praise when she does one outside and ignore and thoroughly clean any inside ones.
I have been thinking of you - apart from widdling, is she just perfect? She looks it.

BallyJ

Visit site
Thank you all!

I thought that would be a hindrance! will close the door so we can let her out - will add some treats into the mix too!
I don't expect her to go overnight no, we've added a towel to the front of her bed last night and she had a wee on there which we don't mind at all!

@Clodagh shes great! very busy little pup - enjoys digging! but comes to work with one of us daily and is incredibly well behaved! she turns into the devil when shes home but I'd prefer it this way :)

Training's coming along well she can 'sit', 'stay' and we can throw a toy while she stays, just needs to get used to a collar - which is odd as she had one on for the first 7 weeks.

But we are both very happy with her!

BallyJ

Visit site
Also! we're looking for keeping busy ideas

she loves carrots - makes a mess but shes happy and quiet.
Tried her with a kong and she enjoyed it but need some stuffing ideas
likes the treat ball with her tea in!

Has anyone tried a Kong wobbler? like the look of these to give the girls their teas?

JillA

Visit site
It's unusual for them to wee in their beds, even as puppies, so I would be getting her checked for an infection. And then bear in mind that its all about the substrate - if she regards a tiled floor as a toilet, she will use any solid surface, likewise grass is similar to carpet. That was the reason for the old newspaper method, they start to regard the newspaper as the toilet. And puppy pads. But always vet check for physiological explanations first.
And pate or cream cheese in the Kong - takes FOREVER to get the last traces out

BallyJ

Visit site
It's unusual for them to wee in their beds, even as puppies, so I would be getting her checked for an infection. And then bear in mind that its all about the substrate - if she regards a tiled floor as a toilet, she will use any solid surface, likewise grass is similar to carpet. That was the reason for the old newspaper method, they start to regard the newspaper as the toilet. And puppy pads. But always vet check for physiological explanations first.
And pate or cream cheese in the Kong - takes FOREVER to get the last traces out

Thanks -I think i'm going to take her to the vets for a quick check over!
Will grab some cream cheese! anything that slows down the Zoomies!

SpringArising

Visit site
I agree with taking the puppy pads away. Dogs are loath to wee where they sleep so don't kit her bed out with pads or she'll think it's normal to do it there. Like others I'd also have the door closed so she makes the distinction between inside vs. out.

She's very cute! What is she?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my little terrier used to be in the garden for ages and then rush indoors and pee in his bed. he is very little and in hindsight i think he had never been outside and was used to peeing in the pen on newspaper and was a little scared and couldnt relax in the garden. i had never had a problem with housettraining any of my dogs over the 55 years of dog ownership so was rather stumped. i found that if he pooed or weed in the garden i was really quick to give him a treat as well as praise. it took a while but we got there in the end. his bed was in a crate so i made sure the door was shut as well so he couldnt dive in there and relieve himself..

Clodagh

Visit site
I had a thought at work today, although she is 10 weeks you haven't had her long, so she will be behind a 10 week old that has been training for 2 weeks. :)
She is very beautiful. If you go to the vets take a pee sample, save yourself another trip!

BallyJ

Visit site
HI All,

Thought i would update! Shes coming along great, we closed the door and this seems to have helped her to understand the difference.

We've had no accident at home for over a week! 1 or 2 overnight but we aren't phased by these just puppy-hood!

Jabs are being done on Saturday morning so it will be nice to get her socializing. Shes had a big growth spurt and has overtaken the terrior who isn't best pleased :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thats good news, it will soon be second nature for her to only go outside...i didnt think i would ever housetrain my little terrier but it did happen and he now goes towards the back door and if i dont get up he barks to alert me.....

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
Its funny really, my spaniel housetrained quite quickly with a dog flap and we never have any accidents from him (2yrs old), however my JRTxESS has only JUST stopped having accidents...... at the age of 9 months old !

She has never had an accident overnight with us but would pee whenever we were out despite us making sure she'd been out to be 'busy' first.

I think my mistake was going back to using puppy pads by the door because it was easier to clean up, but then she would have great fun ripping them up and peeing where it used to be. In the end I got so fed up with the mess she made I just stopped worrying about it, left the pads up and voila, like the flick of a switch, she was dry :)

Glad your new pup has settled, they are hard work aren't they !