Friends dog attacked

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
[QUOTE="Rowreach, post: 14737628, member: I’m surprised the dog warden isn’t interested but I guess we don’t know all the facts. Mine has been brilliant.

I don’t know if things have changed, but around 11 years ago, a friends on lead dog was attacked by 4 others. He was practically ripped apart. Neither dog warden or police were interested. I took him to the vet as my friend didn’t want her kids to see him. He died 2 days later.[/QUOTE]

The same day mine was attacked there was another attack about 15 miles away. That one has already gone through the courts thanks to the dog warden/local authority and the punishment for the offending owner was severe.

SAujla

Visit site
My friend lives in Birmingham so I don't know how good the other dog wardens are but this one is woeful, but she said they just weren't interested at all and she was shocked herself. She has pictures of the injuries. I won't share them on here as its not my dog but they are violent and horrible.

Thankfully the pug has started eating and I've arranged to meet them with Clover next week. I have complete trust that Clover can help, she never barks, never wrestles and is very gentle and soft with other dogs so I'm sure it can be the positive dog experience. Any tips on what I should and shouldn't do would also be appreciated. I'm assuming I keep Clover with me and let the pug approach if she wants too?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Push with dog warden, police will keep bouncing you back to that, they will not be interested, unfortunately, although your friend may have better luck talking to the neighbourhood team (real cops, not pcsos)

I’d say get the dog walking at a safe distance to others but within view and allow interactions with known friendly dogs in a controlled situation. Don’t totally avoid other dogs, this was our issue with Zak, we wanted to protect him then he just became worse and worse.

Id say never go near an attacking dog’s mouth, an Akita x had hold of a rough collie in our local park, the owner of the collie tried to intervene and ended up in A&E with a nasty wound on his arm. It’s instinct to protect your dog, but try to use something that doesn’t involve sticking something in it’s mouth!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I wonder who in the police they spoke to. Attacks here are taken really seriously (although thankfully few and far between) and I’m beyond shocked that at the very least the dog warden isn’t interested. Poor little scrap.

I wonder if that’s linked to the initiative I saw on Countryfile re dogs off lead near livestock in Wales? There was an actual police officer rollocking a walker who wasn’t impressed at being told in no uncertain terms to put his dog on the lead NOW!

SAujla

Visit site
Push with dog warden, police will keep bouncing you back to that, they will not be interested, unfortunately, although your friend may have better luck talking to the neighbourhood team (real cops, not pcsos)

I’d say get the dog walking at a safe distance to others but within view and allow interactions with known friendly dogs in a controlled situation. Don’t totally avoid other dogs, this was our issue with Zak, we wanted to protect him then he just became worse and worse.

Id say never go near an attacking dog’s mouth, an Akita x had hold of a rough collie in our local park, the owner of the collie tried to intervene and ended up in A&E with a nasty wound on his arm. It’s instinct to protect your dog, but try to use something that doesn’t involve sticking something in it’s mouth!

Yes I was advised that best thing to do is to kick the offending dog on the soft belly? I told my friend never ever put her hands into the situation, it took a spade to the head to get this dog to let go.

I've spoke to my friend again and she's just too upset to push it further for the moment, both with the incident and the reaction from the authorities

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
Honestly, the neighbourhood team are the ones that will go round and talk to the owner of the dog warden is hopeless. When she feels stronger, I’d get her to put in a complaint about the dog warden-what is the point of having one?!
I'll ask my friend again later this week who exactly it was that she spoke with. She's badly shaken and I don't want to upset her further right now but I don't want her to not do anything either. The wound isn't just a scratch, it's in two places and the one is so big, on a pug it looks even bigger.

Is there a dog warden committee/website where she can complain? I always thought this is exactly what a dog warden is for but maybe they just want the cute stuff like reuniting lost dogs with owners.

SAujla

Visit site
Update. I spoke to my friend this morning and she is no longer sad just full of anger. She is going back to the police and to quote her "I'm not going to stop until something is done".

This won't surprise anyone on here but she's also found out this isn't the first time it's happened, which makes the attitude of the dog warden and police even more alarming.

She is going to carry on taking things forward and I'm going to be more involved in helping to build her dogs confidence back up, via Clover.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on here, I don't have much experience in these situations so I really appreciate you all telling me how best I can help.

I will update further when she tells me what's happened

Clodagh

Visit site
As for seperating fighting dogs, it is so hard as in the situation you do whatever you can to save your dog, and tend not to think through the consequences. I'm glad your friend, SA, had someone come to help her. What on earth she'd have doen otherwise doesn't bear thinking about.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As for seperating fighting dogs, it is so hard as in the situation you do whatever you can to save your dog, and tend not to think through the consequences. I'm glad your friend, SA, had someone come to help her. What on earth she'd have doen otherwise doesn't bear thinking about.

Everyone thinks they know what they'd do, when it's happening right in front of you, it's a different matter.

SAujla

Visit site
Does anyone know if Arnica is appropriate for dogs, it helps with bruises and I've been told that the pug probably has substantial internal bruising

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I tried to say this yesterday, but the sites issues prevented!
I suggest that your friend email the dog warden and copy her local Councillor into the email, also report the incident to the police on line as well, if no joy keep pushing. Also if she knows who owns the dog, then a letter with the costs of the vet and follow up with small claims

SAujla

Visit site
I tried to say this yesterday, but the sites issues prevented!
I suggest that your friend email the dog warden and copy her local Councillor into the email, also report the incident to the police on line as well, if no joy keep pushing. Also if she knows who owns the dog, then a letter with the costs of the vet and follow up with small claims
She has done most of this today and sent the photos to her local MP as well. I will tell her about following up with costs. I'm planning on meeting her dog with mine next week, although she is still limping significantly

bonny

Visit site
She has done most of this today and sent the photos to her local MP as well. I will tell her about following up with costs. I'm planning on meeting her dog with mine next week, although she is still limping significantly
Does your friend have the name and address of the other dog owner and if so, what are they saying about the incident?

SAujla

Visit site
Maybe the pug jumped into the other dog's mouth :rolleyes:
Even in the unlikely event that the on-leash pug antagonised the off-leash dog so much that it provoked an attack, would you not still be mortified at the injuries caused/offer to pay the vet bill?
My friend said he didn't even turn round to check, just walked off and now we know this isn't the first time its happened. I'm beyond baffled at the dog warden and police attitude