Friesians peoples experiences of the breed please thank you :)

Tomandlaura

Visit site
Please can I have peoples opinions and experiences of the breed please. I am looking for a horse and have seen a couple friesians advertised which I think maybe suitable for me but was wondering what other people's experience of the breed was/is thank you :)

Capriole

Visit site
Hi, I've read a few of your other posts and I can't help but notice you are looking at rather flashy and fashionable breeds. As you've said you're a nervous yet capable novice, I can't help but worry you are going to end up over horsing yourself. As a first horse there is NOTHING wrong with a mutt, who might not be 'fancy' but one that knows the score and will look after you.

Yes, mind my own business, I'm sure you're saying, but I think you need to focus on getting something steady and sensible rather than on any particular breed. (Flame suit on).

bakewell

Visit site
Andalusians and friesians tend to flag the "fantasy hair horse".
They are both beautiful, but much more than their looks. They are also both very physically strong breeds.
I only have experience of friesians driving, although I have a friend who works them in the states. There are some dramatic differences across bloodlines in terms of temprament and some can be really challenging. Typically they do not have a second wind so whilst they can jump etc they don't have a lot of stamina. They also (typically) have a high action which has implications for the way they ride. They are primarily a carriage horse so physically they are not going to move the same, although breeding selection is changing that for some.
Barrel-y shaped horses with big shoulders can also be a pig to fit tack to.
Generalising about a breed will not help to define the personality and suitability of an individual for you. However you are throwing up breeds with a similar phenotype rather than necessarily good for novices.
In terms of hairy and attractive, many cobs (probs not welsh d for hotness consideration) and natives can be very beautiful... look at fells, dales and highlands. Plus a lot more tolerant/ less sensitive and well supported in this country.
First horse is rarely dream horse to look at!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Unfortunately all the Friesians I have come into contact with have had either health or temperament problems. 2 horses imported from Holland died suddenly at young ages, one of a burst aorta which must have been hereditary as quite a few of his foals also suddenly dropped dead, one while being hacked along the road. Two of my friends have had Freisians recently and they both had difficult temperaments. They appeared quiet at first sight but had a tendency to totally lose it under pressure or if something scared them. They both bought them because they liked the look of them and one has sold the horse on, the other was PTS after an accident where it freaked out and then got onto the road.

Geminismum

Visit site
I am a complete Friesian fanatic! I have a fantastic friesian x 4 year old mare. She wouldn't be suitable for a novice due to her age but has a fantastic trainable temperament. I agree with some of the above - they don't tend to get a second wind, saddle fitting has been a nightmare and I'd advise to test ride a friesian before you set your heart on one as their canter is very different to any other horse I've ridden. Generally speaking I've heard good things about temperament but my girl definitely has a bolchy side and needs boundaries a firm handler. I don't think they're the most versatile horse you could get I.e if you're looking to show there aren't many areas that have a foreign breeds class. However, personally I think I would only ever have a horse with Friesian in it now :)

FlyingCircus

Visit site
The only Friesians I have ever known (two of them) were quite highly strung types. One competed low level dressage and the other was a carriage horse.

I know the feeling of seeing them for sale though and being caught by their appearance! I'm looking to buy at the minute and keep finding myself looking at Andalusians and Friesians, despite the fact they really don't suit what i'm looking for (all rounder with focus on low level eventing!). So maybe you should see first what you want to do with your horse, then see if you can find a breed that suits. I wrote out a list of what I'd love to do riding wise, what I wanted horse wise and what it HAD to do (aka live out most of the year, not need oodles of feed pumped into it). This list helped me narrow down the breeds, so I could cross of Friesians because they were not suited to the disciplines, Andalusians because they're typically hotter than what I want right now, TBs because they usually don't do well living out most of the year and require lots of hard feed to keep weight on...etc etc!

So yeah, maybe a list will help you narrow it down :) I ended up deciding i'm looking for a Connemara/ISH type.

Tomandlaura

Visit site
The reason I posted up about Friesians as I would like to get into Dressage. And previously about Andalusians as I was dealing with a dealer whos intentions I thought were wrong as she was trying to sell me a horse that she said was suitable and I knew in my hearts of hearts that was not. Ive seen at least two Friesians advertised who are in there teens who have temperaments that i feel would suit my needs. After reading various things about Andalusians even though there is always exceptions to the rule i feel they maybe too hot and sensitive for me. Thank you flyingcircus that is sound advise, There are lots of Connemara/ish here as I am living in South Ireland!

Capriole

Visit site
No offence to Friesian fans meant, but there are many many horses out there that would be a better bet for dressage, IMO.
Just be careful you don't buy a horse that's too much for you. As a nervous novice you need a horse that will suit where you are now in your riding, and will maybe suit you for a stage or two above that, don't go rushing in to get something you can't ride one side of to suit the rider you want to be in the future.
I've seen people do just that, and seen people take bad advice to get something they will grow into (nope, they never did and the horse ruined their enjoyment of riding and horse owning forever).

only_me

Visit site
There are very few Friesians in dressage Ireland, most tend to be ISH or warm blood crosses, so I wouldn't worry about not fitting in :)

In fact, an eventing stallion won the Advanced medium NI champs at the weekend - and he is a (well bred) ISH :)
Connie x Tb are the most sought after for a reason - they usually have excellent temps and are talented enough to do well in most spheres :)

Fides

Visit site
Horses probably not suitable for a novice - Andies, friesians, welshies, Arabs, TBs. Of course there are exceptions but to ride a flashy horse you generally have to be able to be a rider, not a passenger first.

Arizahn

Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with a nice Connemara, OP :) Fabulous temperaments and some of them are taller than the breed standard, if height is an issue?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A nice connie or ID x will easily go to medium dressage and when he is not doing his dressage he will take you hunting, hacking and anything else you want to do. A very nice one would also show as a worker.

Ireland breeds decent horses.

littleshetland

Visit site
Well, I have a Friesian (my first)..I imported him over from Holland about a year ago as a three year old, so I only really have experience of him, not really any other Friesians...I have previously only ever had WBs, TBs and various crosses.
On the plus side he's very clever, moves nicely (modern type of breeding), quite 'hardy', very friendly and faithful (they tend to like their 'one' human) and my particular one has a very steady temperament (how lucky am I...)! Also, very beautiful and easy on the eye which is purely a bonus. Because he's so clever, you do really have to know what you're doing with them (as ALL horses) because they learn so quickly. On the downside, he's very stubborn at times and can be fairly opinionated about things.
His health is excellent (touch wood), he's built like a brick s***house and has feet like iron, but as stated above, he's not big on stamina and when he's tired, he's tired - there's no second wind.
I'm not sure if they're an ideal horse for a first time owner, although generally speaking, they do seem to have good temperaments , but there will always be an exception that that rule. All in all, I love mine, and wouldn't give him up for anything, but as a first time horse? probably not.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The reason I posted up about Friesians as I would like to get into Dressage. And previously about Andalusians as I was dealing with a dealer whos intentions I thought were wrong as she was trying to sell me a horse that she said was suitable and I knew in my hearts of hearts that was not. Ive seen at least two Friesians advertised who are in there teens who have temperaments that i feel would suit my needs. After reading various things about Andalusians even though there is always exceptions to the rule i feel they maybe too hot and sensitive for me. Thank you flyingcircus that is sound advise, There are lots of Connemara/ish here as I am living in South Ireland!

I cannot understand why people have started thinking of Friesians as dressage horses. I'm sure they're ok for Prelim tests but they are bred to DRIVE, with a high head-carriage and high knee- action.
Make a list of what you want your 1st horse to do, rather than what you want it to look like. My guess is that you want safety above all else, you certainly should, it's not just about your safety but the horse's safety too. Look for older, sensible, done a bit of everything, types, who know their job, which will build your confidence, rather than smashing it.

Fides

Visit site
When you say you want to do dressage, as a novice, you are going to need something already established. Can we help with your search?

littleshetland

Visit site
They can make fantastic dressage horses, especially now as they are breeding out the high knee action in some of the lines. Yes, the do have a high head carriage, but so do other types successful in dressage (gelderlanders spring to mind esp. 'Mr President', Dikkiloo etc)They are 'powerhouse' horses which can be an absolute joy to ride, as long as the training is correct from day one. They may not beat the big moving warmbloods on the big day, but when trained and ridden correctly, they are fantastic.
But as I said above, for a first horse for a novice owner, probably not a good idea.

hotair

Visit site
A friend of mine has one who has a fabulous temperament and is very quiet and easy to do and ride but I do agree that there are a lot who aren't and deffinatly agree with what others have said regarding stamina and health problems she has had more scares health wise with him than I would be able to mention.

Agree with the suggestions or connie or connie x lovely breed and lovely temperament!

Madali

Visit site
Most of the Fresians I have known have been completely delightful and suitable for nervous riders. They do have a massive action though so take some getting used to.

Montyforever

Visit site
I wouldn't say Friesians are a novice horse at all, they are a very strong and flighty breed. I've only known a couple but they've all been flashy nutters! And this is coming from the person who loves her spirited welshies .. As others have said a nice Irish horse is everything you would want and more and would be my starting point if i started looking for another horse :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
The only experiences I have of Friesians is that they are genuinely difficult to fit tack to, keep healthy and sane and to ride as a general pleasure horse. I would never recommend this breed for a first horse or to a novice.

Fides

Visit site
Agree with the suggestions or connie or connie x lovely breed and lovely temperament!

Versatile breed for sure :)

https://www.facebook.com/dixieniki/media_set?set=a.10152241900605320.1073741846.500905319&type=3

photo.php

spike123

Visit site
I knew of a few fresians. One died suddenly aged 7, two died of colic both under the age of 10. The other 2 i know of, one is definitely not a novice horse as is very highly strung and is actually a cross with a cob. The other is a lovely mare but has her moments and currently has soundness issues.

friesian76

Visit site
I have a Friesian X. He was a so and so to be honest at the start but is now good. He still pulls faces and doesn't trust anyone he doesn't know, but with me he's fine. They are as previously said a one to one horse. Health wise " touch wood" he is hardy and a good doer. Out hacking he is calm, we go out with spooky horses/ youngsters and he manages to keep his head. He can occassionally spook but then most horses will. My friend has ridden to a high level of dressage and favours warmbloods but she has said hes very expressive with a lovely action. Despite the high head carriage they are capable of working in a nice outline. I think its personal choice really.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I cannot understand why people have started thinking of Friesians as dressage horses. I'm sure they're ok for Prelim tests but they are bred to DRIVE, with a high head-carriage and high knee- action.
Make a list of what you want your 1st horse to do, rather than what you want it to look like. My guess is that you want safety above all else, you certainly should, it's not just about your safety but the horse's safety too. Look for older, sensible, done a bit of everything, types, who know their job, which will build your confidence, rather than smashing it.

This. OP, don't be impressed by looks. Find a horse that is suitable for you abilities. You will then have a lot of fun, rather than heartbreak.

littlen

Visit site
What about a dales?

I've only ever met two friesians and both have been bolshy and plagued with health problems. I work with an equine vet who told me to avoid foreign breeds and buy a native :) One was bought for a novice and walked all over her. I actually considered one for a long time and met up with a breeder but decided against it for a number of reasons. I was also told they are not built for dressage and are bred for driving more than anything else.

I would go for temprement and look for a confidence builder.

AngieandBen

Visit site
I've just loaned a Friesian x Sec D mare who has been my perfect pony :). I'm a fairly confident novice and I was a bit reluctant to have her ( she belongs to a good friend ) I don't know why as I've never seen her do anything bad! I think its her presence.

She has got huge shoulders and looks very powerful, but as the others have said, she has no stamina at all!

PerfectPony

Visit site
Only met one and heard horror stories about others. The one I knew was bolshy, piggy eyed, could kick like a mule and was bone idle... but apparently he is now doing well under a better jockey!

Hippophilia

Visit site
There was a lovely Fresian at the RS where I used to teach. He was a b**ger to catch but once caught was very quiet and we would use him for our older beginners. He was big though and I would be wary as they are strong so if you get one who is not as chilled as our lad it could get difficult if you are not a confident and competent rider.

daughter's groom

Visit site
I learned to drive behind a Friesian stallion who was a complete and utter gentleman in harness and on the ground. That said he was owned by a very experienced person who would brook no nonsense. He was also a very uncomfortable ride because of the knee action. Absolutely beautiful though.