Frith Manor or LEC...or any other suggestions!

Umbongo

Visit site
Hello!

Well I have been living in Mill Hill area of London now for 4 months. I am settled in my job and am going mad without horses at the moment! I haven't sat on a horse in 5 months!!!!

I am looking into finding somewhere I can have a lesson about once a fortnight. I have had trouble finding a share and can't afford many in the area.

Does anyone have any experiences of these riding schools? I am an experienced rider but am a little rusty and do lack a bit of confidence jumping (something which I would like to work on) and am used to riding quite fiery, forward going horses.

I work in Shenley and Edgware so any other suggestions in the local area would be great!

samlovesprilly

Visit site
Out of the two you mentioned, I would definately go to LEC for lessons.

I've shared a horse at Frith and its primarily a livery yard with about 2 or 3 horses that are used for lessons so your choice wont be too great tbh.

LEC on the other hand is a bit of both but probably has more riding school horses. These vary from tiny lead-rein ponies to ex bsja horses and dressage schoolmasters. I've had a few lessons there before (maybe two) and after letting them know I am a relatively experienced rider I got given a lovely, not your typical straight forward riding school type and ended up jumping a decent height with her. Instructors i've had have been good as well however have no experience with group lessons only joint ones, plus this was about two years ago so might be different now!! Def worth a try though!

My mare is currently kept in Barnet and I regularly hack around Shenley. I pass Strangeways farm which is in the area and I know it used to be at least part-riding school so would be worth looking into if its closer for you

Good luck and have fun getting back into the saddle! You must be itching to get back into the horsey world ;)

Umbongo

Visit site
Thanks, didn't know that about Frith, I just googled riding schools closest to me!

I contacted Strangeways and they are just a livery yard now. Yes itching to get in the saddle...I think I've forgotten how to ride it feels like it's been so long! Have just moved from Somerset and had lots of horses offered to me to ride!

If you hear of any shares in the area keep me in mind :p

SO1

Visit site
I know both yards. Frith normally has quite a few horses to share, as others have said it is primarily a livery yard and does not have a wide range of school horses.

LEC is a big yard and also has working liveries that are used in the school as well as normal liveries. I used to be a livery there about 5 years ago but it did not suit my pony but he is a quirky boy. I also rode there as a RS client between sharing and buying. I would choose the evening lessons rather than weekends which are very busy. They have freelance instructors in the evenings the one that does Thursdays Anne is very good, she is still my instructor now even though I left. The group lessons in the evenings are less busy and you get the big indoor to yourselves rather than having to share it other groups having lessons which would happen at the weekends. It is also quite sociable well certainly the group I was in was we even went on a riding holiday together.

Last edited:

Umbongo

Visit site
I know both yards. Frith normally has quite a few horses to share, as others have said it is primarily a livery yard and does not have a wide range of school horses.

LEC is a big yard and also has working liveries that are used in the school as well as normal liveries. I used to be a livery there about 5 years ago but it did not suit my pony but he is a quirky boy. I also rode there as a RS client between sharing and buying. I would choose the evening lessons rather than weekends which are very busy. They have freelance instructors in the evenings the one that does Thursdays Anne is very good, she is still my instructor now even though I left. The group lessons in the evenings are less busy and you get the big indoor to yourselves rather than having to share it other groups having lessons which would happen at the weekends. It is also quite sociable well certainly the group I was in was we even went on a riding holiday together.

Thank you. I was thinking about private lessons, maybe group if I can't afford the private ones! A lot of my working days I tend to start around lunchtime and work until 8pm. So was thinking about morning lessons, may have the odd evening lesson when I am on an early shift.

I am intending to stay well away over the weekends!! :)