front leg lameness

shellely

Visit site
hi all we had the vet tonight to our pony to check on his back leg stiffness ,well tonight his back legs look fine but for some reason he is slightley lame in trot on his front leg the vet did flexation tests and this did not make him any worse the only thing the vet thought is that it could be as he needs his shoes doing (he is being done in the morning) or that he has stood on a stone just wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be? the vet is coming to check him on tue it just seems to be one thing after another!

brightmount

Visit site
Well you've seen the vet, and tomorrow you're seeing the farrier, and the vet is coming back next week, so it looks like you are in the hands of the professionals, who will be in a much better position to advise you.

My only thoughts - is the horse old? You say he is stiff behind. Could he be getting arthritic? Is he worse in the morning coming out of his stable? Does he improve when he is warmed up? This would indicate arthritic changes which can be managed to some extent.

Otherwise, if the lameness gets worse with exercise you may be looking at soft tissue damage.

If it persists, the only way to proceed is nerve blocking to isolate the position of the lameness, then x-rays and ultrasound, and ultimately MRI if you are insured or have deep pockets.

But hopefully your neddy will be better in a few days
smile.gif

shellely

Visit site
he is 10 years old and he had a injury to his deep digital flexor tendon march last year, he does losen up lovley after being walmed up but he is in at the moment as the fields are realy muddy, the front leg lameness just came on tonight and we cant think of a reason for it just wondered if anyone had seen anything simlar.

jojoebony

Visit site
I was convinced for a long while my horse was lame behind, turned out she was lame in front but compensating by throwing my weight (dropping opposite hind leg to throw weight on to good fore).
Perhaps your boy being stiff behind has had the same effect and now that's resolving he's feeling the effect in front, especially if he's been sore behind for a bit?
Jo