Front suspensory injuries - your experiences please

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kal had a diagnosis of injury to his right front suspensory (proximal). We don't yet know how bad it is - vet is coming back to x-ray and scan next week - but he seems guardedly optimistic that Kali will come sound with the right treatment/therapies.

So . . . those of you whose horses have had a similar injury - did your horses recover, what were the timescales, did they return to full work (and what was that work?), if they didn't recover why was that?

I'd like to get more of a handle on what we're looking at . . . if you'd rather keep your experiences private pls feel free to PM me.

Thank you in advance.

P

CPayne

Visit site
My boy damaged his suspensory and fractured his splint bone in to the bargain. Took about 9-10 months to get back up to full work from box rest, walking in hand etc. He was by then 17 so I decided not to do any more serious jumping/cross country with him but that was my decision as the vet said he was good to go. He has done some RC show jumping and competed up to elementary dressage and been completely sound and is now 22, although not been working so much recently due to now having a young family.
During his small turnout stage, fenced off area about as big as two stables, he did jump out but luckily it didn't seem to do any more damage!
Good luck with Kal, hope he makes a full recovery.

leflynn

Visit site
Mine did his front suspensory hooning in the field, he had 3.5 months box rest then we tried a controlled return to work (in hand walking) but he was too much of an idiot so I risked turning him out for 2 weeks. he then got brought back into work and was doing super and we were about to start canter but he ended up getting a fracture so more box rest. Another fracture followed, then a hind tendon, then finally back to work.... I brought him back to work very slowly, 4 weeks on a horse walker, follwed by 2 months turnout, followed by longlining for a month, then lots of hacking to build back up. He is in full work atm doing 2 hour hacks, xc schooling, SJ, DR now :)

dianchi

Visit site
My chestnut did hers a good few years ago now, took 6 months box rest, then started ridden walk work for a month, then turned out in small paddock.

I did it by the book and got her mega mega fit, took a year from injury in sept through to being back competing.

However my girl did hers jumping and she threw in the towel and didn't want to jump for a few years.

But we went and did dressage, and now she is happy to jump again (7yrs on), and we play international horseball.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but be prepared for a year of work and rehab.

Fingers x

PolarSkye

Visit site
Hey - thanks. He has (as far as we know) recovered well from the suspensory injury (vet is really pleased with him), but the time off (five months total) has exacerbated his navicular (diagnosed two years or so ago) so is currently lame. Remedy is bute and work . . . he is just walking and (minimal) trotting (on a surface for now) . . . two weeks on two bute a day, one week on one and then we take him off the bute and see . . . he started work again on Thursday of last week.

P

st5050

Visit site
Thanks Polarskye & Paulineh - glad your horses have done well in recovery.
Good luck to you Polarskye in continuing to manage your horse. I'm currently waiting on a full diagnosis...but I fear it's a high suspensory injury in right fore...thanks for sharing your stories.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Have had 2 over 25+yrs.
1 went on to hunt carrying whip and we sold on to a cracking pc home 5 yrs later, the other was not so lucky as also had opposing hind leg tendon issues, so was pts.
strangely both were 7yr olds, but they were 20 yrs apart with their injuries.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thanks Polarskye & Paulineh - glad your horses have done well in recovery.
Good luck to you Polarskye in continuing to manage your horse. I'm currently waiting on a full diagnosis...but I fear it's a high suspensory injury in right fore...thanks for sharing your stories.

That's the same injury Kal - and in the same leg . . . to be fair, vet did say damage to the proximal (upper) area of the suspensory (in a foreleg) is probably the least bad in terms of overall outcome - obviously depending on how bad the damage is. I highly recommend shock wave, cold hosing and bute . . . it certainly worked wonders on my boy.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

P

applecart14

Visit site
My horse did his lateral branch of his suspensory on his near fore and received shockwave which didn't make a difference. He also received LW ultrasound (friend was a physio) and loads and loads of ice treatment in the early days which really does make a huge difference to the outcome of tendon problems.

He went on to have PRP (protein rich plasma) and this helped considerably. He was shod differently and I used bandages to support his legs. Eventually he came sound and went on to have a great season SJ and dressage. But then got his leg stuck in a wheelbarrow and dragged it around the yard (very nearly missing breaking it). I was at work and got the call. Luckily same physio friend was on hand at the yard at the time and put an ice pack on the leg. He received lots of anti inflammatory and box rest and eventually came back into work. Then had a weird period with his feet and haematoma's under his sole but this eventually went.

He came sound and is I would say 95% sound on buteless and can jump up to 1m - 1m5 and dressage and does fun rides. I ride six days a week, compete probably every second or third week and watch the ground conditions.

I had to leave the last yard as the field entrance was very boggy and despite spending money personally on getting the surface by the gate gritted the rest of the track down to the field was really deep which pulled on his tendon as did the yard dogs chasing him every day in the field. So I made the decision to leave to help his leg and it was the best thing I could have done.

this type of injury needed a lot of patience, anti inflammatory and a gradual increase in work load. Still has a 40% chance of reoccurence in which case we would be back to square one but at the moment he is jumping 2ft 9/3ft jump offs without a problem.

I carry ice packs in the car which you lay on your palm and smack with your other hand to release the capsule inside and then shake and it is very cold and instant cold anywhere you are. I put this onto his leg and rebandage after competing. They are only £1.99 for two. Its not that he needs it but I just do it anyway as it makes me feel better.

So grateful to my vet for all his help and advice and his lateral thinking on things. He carried on where a lot of people would have given up and my 17 year old has a new lease of life.

This was him four months after his injury https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U93TkaYep0

Tried to put a video on of him a month ago but can't do it!

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
we have a mare at work who was diagnosed in July/August last year, her prognosis is poor but she has damage to suspensories in both fore legs and significant arthritic changes in both knees too, she is living out till april next year when things will be reviewed-she is lamer (only shows in trot) now than she was when diagnosed though so things are not looking good.

he is old damage (from being driven as a youngster is what the vet suspects) that apparently is common to show at a later date