Frontline spray for mites

Kacey88

Visit site
Hello those of us who have a feathery type.

I have a yearling who is very very hairy - I noticed more than one of the horses in the herd she came from scratching (all gypsy cobs). So I treated her for mites with Frontline before introducing her to others. That was about two months ago.

How often do you treat with Frontline spray? Can it be used as a preventative to stay on top of potential problems or would you wait until you see the horse scratching/notice sore skin? I can tell she scratches a little bit by looking her feather - but she has no damage done to skin or anything.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
It is not designed for equine mites so it's a bit hit and miss. Farrier mite shampoo is 100% effective and paralyses the mites within 24 hours. They also do a spray but it's harder to get onto the skin with horses with feather.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Frontline spot on has apparently lost it’s effectiveness. Maybe ask the vet for a dectomax injection. Scratching might indicate lice. Mine just stamped when he had mites.

Nasicus

Visit site
I use large dog sized fipronil spot-ons, 1/2 a pipette on each foot directly onto the skin above the back of the heel, maybe every 3-4 months? Not had an issues since.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Re looking at the feather, mine used to lose chunks when he stood on it to get up, proper spud. If the horse comes in to a stable, consider your bedding. I was advised to swap to shavings from straw.