frozen semen samples...........?

show_jumper

Visit site
hi.
i have a stallion who might have to be cut soon -through no fault of his own.
he is a top jumping prospect, and i wa wondering how much it would cost to have a smaple of semen taken and frozen?? i would hate for him to be cut, and then find out he's a outstanding as we think he'll be, and not be able to have a foal by him!!!

thanks for reading

_jetset_

Visit site
Is there a good reason for having him cut? If so, then I would echo what Marilyn has said and contact the Stallion AI Centre. I wouldn't take just one sample though, I would take a few if you are serious about breeding from him. After all, your mare that you choose might take a few attempts to get into foal.

Rebecca

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
My vet's GF stands a few stallions and I know the AI registration process is very costly. They have to be screened at the start of every breeding season and if you get the dates wrong you have to pay all over again (i know, because he did!).
I have no idea whether it would be different for private use but due to the stallions having to be screened every year, I wouldnt be sure the sticky white love juice would keep for that long.

sallyf

Visit site
If semen is suitable for freezing then it will keep indefinately.
But you wouldnt see any change from £1000 for one sessions collecting if you go ahead and have it done.
Its not a cheap option and unless the stallion is going to be graded (unlikely if hes cut) there would be a limited market for semen from a SJ when you think what you can get from abroad.
There are ongoing fees such as paying the 10 -15 quid storage charges each month.
The other thing is it will cost you the same whether the semen is any good or not.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
enquired about this just the other day!
Someone on the forum Waterstock training? does this, and I also did a search for semen storage which came up with a mobile company that rang me back.
The cost depending on how far they have to travel was quoted for us at £138 plus vat, then £50 a year for storing 25 straws.
Your stallion must of course be used to covering as they have to dive between him and the mare with the sleeve thing to catch the semen, so that means a quiet in season mare, and that's getting late for that to happen now.
hope this helps, various other forum people also replied and were very helpful, try pm'ing The Voice, he has had expereince in this field and pointed me towards twemlows in Cheshire, but we are in Devon so a bit far.

show_jumper

Visit site
thanks for all the imput eneryone. im sure you don't have to have a mare present for a semen sample to be taken - i've know stallions having it done without a mare around - he's never covered before, and so this isn't an option as far as im concerned. the semen is purely for me to produce a couple of foals, and perhaps others if they wanted it - it wont matter if he's not graded, so long as he performs, and trust me - he does..
thanks for the info!