Fuel prices & transport, are you re-thinking?

thenervouscob

Visit site
I've been looking at re-vamping my transport situation for a while, I sold my trailer as my horse is now too big for it (HB506) but still have a car to tow with, although I wouldn't tow more than one with it so I was going to get something bigger.

The plan was to get as new as I can afford car wise with a 3.5 towing capacity, so I could tow mine & a friend & also the fuel would be not tooooo bad for my daily 80 mile round commute!

BUT with these fuel prices, there's no way I can swallow running a gas guzzler daily like that!

So now I'm thinking it maybe more beneficial to go down the route of a 3.5T lorry, as much as I'd love to take a friend, the thought of having a lorry sat ready & keeping my current car which isnt bad on fuel for work ,or getting a smaller one, seems more appealing & more economical. The other alternative is buying an old tow car to sit up the yard with a trailer, but that comes with its own issues.

Have any of you had any thoughts on how you currently travel or changing your situation?

gallopingby

Visit site
The insurance on a small lorry ie above 3.5 is cheaper than a 3.5 if you’re able to drive one. Insurance on 4x4 for towing will be considerably more than a smaller car. Road tax on my lorry is also cheaper than 4x4 which lm about to replace with a smaller economical car. Good luck lots to consider, it’s certainly more convenient having a lorry packed and ready to go.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I can provide an insight into this having done all of the above!

3.5t lorry. Loved driving it. Budget 1500 a year to keep on the road on newish base. However, its now a rotting storage unit after the engines blown up and the horse wee rotted the base. I think very unlucky, but it was well looked after for 10 years then boom. And no one wants to work on it.

Old tow car parked up. This was cheap to buy, cheap as chips to insure due to the lack of mileage it would do. However hideously uneconomical on fuel to drive and horrific in 'niggles' (and i have a friendly mechanic to fix stuff) and horrible on tax due to the age. Got shot of it after 18 months.

Current set up is a newer less posh tow car that can tow 2 (kia sorento) which is actually cheaper than both of the above option even with many £££ for fuel now. It doesnt do mega miles as a daily car though due to working from home. Thats my sisters car. I also stuck a towbar on my partners Tiguan which will quite happily take one and that also isnt too bad.

As another consideration, the old tow car was the only thing i had ever towed horses with and I hated it. Newer cars are a totally different experience and Im now venturing much further afield with much less anxiety!

If you really cant soak up driving a 4x4 daily probably cheaper long run to have 2 proper cars! Super fuel economy tiny run about and a decent towing car from my experiences.

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The insurance on a small lorry ie above 3.5 is cheaper than a 3.5 if you’re able to drive one.

I pay about the same for my 3.5 as I did for my 7.5, allowing for the value of the vehicle being very different.