Full cheek to hanging cheek

JustKickOn

Visit site
K is currently in a full cheek double jointed snaffle with a rounded lozenge, however she has recently become a little unsettled in the contact. Saddle checked last month, teeth done recently and all ok with a minimal rasp, physio coming for routine work next week.

I've done a bit of research, and I'm wondering if she needs something that is steadier in her mouth. She is very sensitive in her mouth, but I am working on maintaining a steadier contact and consistency.

I've had a look at a couple of hanging cheeks, as they look to provide a bit more stability. I've looked at a normal HC French link, but also the eldonian revolver HC. The principal of the revolver is good, as the action of the reins works independently with regards to pressure on the bars and tongue.

Any experiences of the eldonian revolver HC? Or suggestions for alternatives for a steadier bit?

Tnavas

Visit site
I really like the hanging cheek, purely because of its stability. I only use a single jointed bit though, it's more stable than a double joint.

Did you use keepers with your full cheek? If so then the hanging cheek will have a similar effect.

JustKickOn

Visit site
We have tried her in a single joint before and for jumping it's fine, but she doesn't like it for flatwork.

Haven't tried keepers on the full cheek, no, but may be worth doing so. I was going to buy the hanging cheek anyway as it's not that pricey, and then can always sell it on if no good.

Thank you :)

PorkChop

Visit site
I'm a fan of hanging cheeks, they are definitely stiller in the mouth - I would try your current bit with keepers first though. If not the hanging cheek then an eggbutt is great.

D66

Visit site
The myler bits with a barrel joint seem very stable but allow independent movement either side. We are currently trying a ported eggbut with the barrel joint on a mare with a sensitive mouth, quite successfully so far.

JustKickOn

Visit site
The problem with anything ported is that it isn't dressage legal, and being as that is our main discipline, it limits the options we have available.

She likes the eggbutt she is in for jumping, so that was going to be my next option to try.

We did notice then other day that she sometimes sets her neck and draws her tongue up, so hoping so etching more stable with allow her to relax into the contact. Theoretically anyway, I'm sure she will prove us wrong!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got a Myler Comfort snaffle, I think its dressage legal? My cob loves it and goes really well in it. It gives a really nice feel due to it moving independently

JustKickOn

Visit site
What mouthpiece does Brian's have Rach and what size it it? :)

I've ordered some fulmer keepers for the grand total of £1.59 to try initially, thank you for that suggestion Tnavas. The two bits I've looked at are both less than £25 too, so not bank breaking to try. Did look at a couple of mylers and NS, but my eyes popped at the price!